cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a horse trailer with TC

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Who on this forum has towed a two-axle horse trailer with the TC on the truck?

Did you use any kind of hitch extension to do it?

thanks
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
22 REPLIES 22

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, mkirsch. I'd be gutting it out with my truck to haul the TC and pull the horse trailer.

I have used a short extension to pull my ATV/snowmachine trailer and it worked fine.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Probably a wise decision. I know you said "9900lbs towing capacity" but that's with NOTHING in the bed of the truck. While I'm sure it's been done before, it's still asking pretty much everything your truck can give and then some.

On the extension, you can frequently if not always run a 6" shorter extension than you have overhang. The ball can be right underneath the rear edge of the camper, or even a few inches forward, without causing a clearance issue with most trailers. For example with my 18" overhanging camper, I'm using a ~12" extension.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I don't think I'll do it at all. Just too risky for the horse. Towing a boat or cargo trailer is one thing.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Actually itโ€™s in a 300โ€ wheelbase Peterbilt 389 and a 51โ€™ horse van. 14 is way too many for a gooseneck.
Hitching up closer to the truck axle rather than way out behind it, is in fact better.
A whole lot better. Thatโ€™s why fifth wheels tow better than bumper pulls.
And thatโ€™s why nobody tows on an extension when their camper is off... because the physics are all wrong.
On a big dually with a 4-1/2 ton camper towing a light trailer, itโ€™s fine.
But this is a Toyota with a camper pulling a horse trailer.
It matters a lot more in this case.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
burningman wrote:
I haul horses up and down the west coast, 14 at a time, Iโ€™m very familiar with what important cargo they are.

Yeah, and I bet itโ€™s on a gooseneck, so what does that have to do with using a super long trailer tongue. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Itโ€™s clear that you prefer to extend every trailer tongue on every trailer you use. Others, buy a very good product so they can extend โ€œonceโ€. Oneโ€™s not better.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
If youโ€™re concerned for ultimate safety of the horses, stretch your trailer tongue and hitch directly to the truck, donโ€™t use a hitch extension at all.
No one drives around towing on a hitch extension unless they have to... gee why is that?!!

I haul horses up and down the west coast, 14 at a time, Iโ€™m very familiar with what important cargo they are. A horse trailer on a hitch extension behind a Toyota... I wouldnโ€™t do it.
Extensions are always recommended here because theyโ€™re a store-bought solution the camper dealers sell. No one wants to do a little welding and custom work.
The people who say itโ€™ll hit the camper and wonโ€™t work havenโ€™t ever done it.

^^^^^X2 Very sound advice, The one the horse trailer manufacturer made for me years ago was very simple and bolted on so it wasn't a permanent deal and could be removed if hauling without the camper. The extra length made the 4 horse trailer back even easier so I never removed it. I wasn't the only one using such an extension way back in the 80's. An tongue extension is much sturdier and doesn't begin to flex like a hitch extension can

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
If youโ€™re concerned for ultimate safety of the horses, stretch your trailer tongue and hitch directly to the truck, donโ€™t use a hitch extension at all.
No one drives around towing on a hitch extension unless they have to... gee why is that?!!

I haul horses up and down the west coast, 14 at a time, Iโ€™m very familiar with what important cargo they are. A horse trailer on a hitch extension behind a Toyota... I wouldnโ€™t do it.
Extensions are always recommended here because theyโ€™re a store-bought solution the camper dealers sell. No one wants to do a little welding and custom work.
The people who say itโ€™ll hit the camper and wonโ€™t work havenโ€™t ever done it.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
FireGuard wrote:
You will be pushing it if you plan on towing that with your Tundra?

9900 lbs max towing capacity.

And 990 lb tongue weight?
Deduct 500 lb for light camper weight, multiply by 50% when using stinger and what you have left is 200-300lb tongue capacity.
Not really much for horse trailer.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:

9900 lbs max towing capacity.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
A class 5 hitch with long extension can handle 1,200 lbs tongue depending on the hitch. Horse trailers tend to have the wheels all the way to the rear which puts a lot more weight onto the front of the trailer - where typical campers cargo trailers have axles more towards the center than the rear.

Use a longer trailer tongue if you can. You can have those extended by a welder. The risk is hitting the camper in turns (and when off-roading, which horse ppl dont seem to do other than a field).

Most extensions only see 300 pounds or so from campers or cargo trailers which is not as great as a heavy horse trailer with horses will make

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
well one of the above posters referenced me. I have a superhitch, 48" supertruss, Husky weight distributing hitch with 1200 pound bars. If I was going to do it all over I would only make one change. Superhitch Magnum (not made when I got my setup). You are towing a trailer with live animals. Its a completely different consideration from those towing box trailers. I am not risking my horses lives to save a buck. The superhitch, 48" supertruss with a WD hithch is rated to safely deal with a 1200 pound tongue weight. nothing else comes close.

Thanks Buzzcut1. The key words here are live animals. I'll look into the Superhitch and Supertruss.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
well one of the above posters referenced me. I have a superhitch, 48" supertruss, Husky weight distributing hitch with 1200 pound bars. If I was going to do it all over I would only make one change. Superhitch Magnum (not made when I got my setup). You are towing a trailer with live animals. Its a completely different consideration from those towing box trailers. I am not risking my horses lives to save a buck. The superhitch, 48" supertruss with a WD hithch is rated to safely deal with a 1200 pound tongue weight. nothing else comes close.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

hot_rod
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I hauled an 10 1/2" camper and a 4 horse dressing room trailer. I had a 40" extension built for the trailer tongue and ran that for about 8 yrs