cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing w/ camper few ?s

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all fellow road gypsies Iโ€™ve worked nationwide on the road for over 22 years always in hotels so Iโ€™m a gypsie.

Iโ€™m Steve reside in Alabama Iโ€™m at 220โ€™ above sea level.

Been using a 02 chevy express 1500 hightop conversion van for towing my 24โ€™ cabin cruiser On 220 mile one way trips to the gulf of Mexico for extended weekends.

My cruising area is Ft.Morgan, AL to Destin, FL. I have family in Destin however itโ€™s gated community HOA controlled no boats in driveway this a million $ home 100โ€™ from bay (not water front) go figure.

I camp on the vessel unless extreme wind even in protected waters, yes there has been times over the years where even me was scared of Mother nature.

Way back in the good old days pre hurricane opel there where two hotels 1 mom pop Mom liked me 2nd a marina type 2 starish this was so easy for me, Iโ€™d launch 3 blocks away at the public boat ramp. Drive over to either hotel which was usually Moms
Tie vessel up to the tourist observation pier.

Walk back move both van & trailer to moms hotel shove the trailer off to the side, dune fun beginnes. Moms had big ice machine and a convenience store next door resturants/night clubs in walking distance again way to easy.

For the last 15 years thereโ€™s no hotels on bayside or intercoastal water way in my area. There are a few w/ docks first come deal I could moore but relucltant, Hence upgrading from open vessel to a cabin so there you have it Iโ€™m forced to livaboard my vessel which I love.

Over these years Iโ€™ve rarely sleep in the van itโ€™s nice and has a sofa bed but cramped and itโ€™s no RV w/ home livable stuff just a bed.

There are expensive hotels w/ boat slips couple w/ paid ramps most ramps are some disstanse, all these hotels donโ€™t allow trailers you have to rent a place for the trailer no thanks way to much crape.

?1.Iโ€™m considering purchasing a small lot where I can pull up w/ a truck camper and stay at like a campsite not sure if the local residents allow even a land owner w/ a power pole to squat for a week at a time. were talking underdeveloped wet lands in Perdido bay area this area is very ritzie.

?2.what type truck is required to firstly tow and stop my 4K LB vessel w/ a decent camper.

?3. I like the wetlands idea so the truck would probably be all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive probably gasoline engine not liking the noise of desil or extra cost of fuel.

Concerned about chances of the death wooble being increased w/ both 450LB tongue weight and a camper?

?4.there are a couple RV camps that could be a possibility same $ as hotel go figure.
The one I stopped and asked about told me if I was to expect to stay here youโ€™re RV
Would need to meet certain requirements like good appearance and less than 10 years old
Sounded like a HOA are TC scrutinized?
Thanks Steve
31 REPLIES 31

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
deltabravo wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
No death wobble on my rig, nor any GM truck that I've owned, nor any that friends and family have owned.

You have youtube link to show that?

No, I don't have a link to a video that "doesn't show" GM Death Wobble, probably because no one has ever posted one, which is probably because GM trucks don't seem to experience death wobble.

I'm not really sure why someone would make a video of something "not" happening... It's pointless.
Even more confusing is why you are asking for a link to a video that would show something "not" happening.

?!?!?

Ok, bud. The guys are getting on you about it. But you make videos about stuff that is akin to walking and chewing gum at the same time. And Kayteg was rude to point it out, but he is sorta right. Except the fact that death wobble is a nonexistent condition in ifs vehicles.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh425 wrote:
Death wobble is generally something that only affects vehicles with solid front axles or front wheel drive vehicles.

Iโ€™m pretty sure GM trucks stil donโ€™t have solid front axles. No death wobble but less strength/stability. Pick your poison.

Oh geez here we go. Less articulation, yes. Less strength and stability? Roflmao
How many folks you know broke front axles in their anything IFS. Gotta do better with the brand loyalty. Weak front axle arguments, in earnest, died out about 20 years ago.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Death wobble is generally something that only affects vehicles with solid front axles or front wheel drive vehicles.

Iโ€™m pretty sure GM trucks stil donโ€™t have solid front axles. No death wobble but less strength/stability. Pick your poison.

The last time I experienced the death wabble it was on a 1982 Beaver Class C motor home on a Dodge chassis with the 440 engine...The front rotors caused it..It was eye opening for sure coming down a very steep grade..Acceleration was the only thing that pulled it out of the wabble..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Standard F-250s, the previous gen 2011-2016 anyway, have a relatively soft spring pack especially the initial travel of the suspension.
Makes for a nicer ride in a 3/4 ton, but a little squishy. Nothing any one of the various suspension enhancements can't easily correct.
Truck is not actually overloaded, just under-sprung for a HD pickup.
Both my 2012 and 2015 were comparatively soft in the @ss end compared to most other trucks.

Joe_Glidewell
Explorer
Explorer
1. Realtor
2. 3/4 ton to 1 ton depending on camper weight
3. see #2

I have a 2016 F-250 4x4 with the gasoline 6.2L v8 with a 6 speed auto. The engine power is fine for pulling a loaded trailer while in camper mode. Just expect to slow down a bit on steep grades. The squat is where I have to be concerned. My camper is about 2000lbs wet. The truck bed drops about 5 inches when I put the camper on the bed. Biggest thing I have hauled was a 6x12 wood deck single axle utility trailer with a 1300lb. side-x-side and it sags another couple inches. The bump stops for my suspension were about 3 inches from touching the leaf springs. Not sure of the trailer tongue weight with that setup, but that was the max of my comfort level.

I have a LivinLite CampLite 6.8 model. Has a shower, toilet, stove, microwave, fridge, gas heater, & rooftop AC. The freshwater tank is only 13 gallons but I manage. And when it's installed on the truck bed, it leaves the receiver hitch unobstructed.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
SideHillSoup wrote:
This truck is by no menโ€™s load standing beside it or while driving it. The days of load โ€œ stockโ€ diesel NEW trucks are long gone.

Maybe autocorrect/autocomplete got this. Can you explain?

Funny.....that what happens when your coffee isnโ€™t ready
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
markowwes wrote:
It all comes down to how much money do you want to spend?
No power or weight issues with this setup (only one problem, the MPG is bad)

I went from GM to Ford in 99 and never had one that had the death wobble, thatโ€™s old school. Proper maintenance avoids that kind of issue. Stay away from the 6.4 Ford diesel though, itโ€™s a money pit.
Good Luck
Wes

Nice looking rig.
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
It all comes down to how much money do you want to spend?
No power or weight issues with this setup (only one problem, the MPG is bad)

I went from GM to Ford in 99 and never had one that had the death wobble, thatโ€™s old school. Proper maintenance avoids that kind of issue. Stay away from the 6.4 Ford diesel though, itโ€™s a money pit.
Good Luck
Wes

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
8 ft TC, who are good for towing, seldom have showers, so you will need find compromise that works best for you. 10ft might have all the comfort, but than you will have to use stinger.
Boats tow way better than TT so I would not worry about getting huge truck for it, but when you get 10' TC, that will weight > 3000 lb. Add 450lb on short stinger and you are in 350/3500 truck territory where it won't be far to talk dually.
My advice is to see what TC are available in your area and sit in them. Enter shower and see if you can turn around in the stall.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
SideHillSoup wrote:
This truck is by no menโ€™s load standing beside it or while driving it. The days of load โ€œ stockโ€ diesel NEW trucks are long gone.

Maybe autocorrect/autocomplete got this. Can you explain?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
My 2017 GMC 3500 short box, 4 X4 diesel truck has Torklift super truss 48โ€. This truck is by no menโ€™s load standing beside it or while driving it. The days of load โ€œ stockโ€ diesel NEW trucks are long gone.
I have a 2018 Northern Lite 8-11 camper as well I have a sxs which I pull behind my truck and camper all the time, however I have pulled my son in-laws Bobcat on his trailer, as well as his 21 Bayliner Boat and trailer. All the trailers I pull have electric breaks except my snowmobile trailer. So stopping is not just the tow vehicle it is also the trailer itself. I live in the mountains and canโ€™t get out of the valley I live in with out going over major mountain passes, so breaking is essential here.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
?1.Iโ€™m considering purchasing a small lot where I can pull up w/ a truck camper and stay at like a campsite not sure if the local residents allow even a land owner w/ a power pole to squat for a week at a time. were talking underdeveloped wet lands in Perdido bay area this area is very ritzie.

?2.what type truck is required to firstly tow and stop my 4K LB vessel w/ a decent camper.

?3. I like the wetlands idea so the truck would probably be all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive probably gasoline engine not liking the noise of desil or extra cost of fuel.

1-Before buying a lot the realtor will know what and if there are any restrictions..

2-A 4k vessel is equivalent to a 22-24ft travel trailer both in weight and tongue weight..So with a TC on also I would think a 1-ton/3500 series would be best, especially a DRW..

3-Same as 2..

As to the death wabble,I have had it happen twice,both with Dodge chassis older Class C motorhomes..The problem was worn rotors on both..You should/would not get that with a newer rig..The death wabble is caused by worn out front end parts and equipment..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
yes fro what I understand the GMs don't have the death wooble like the fords and dodges.

why don't I ever see camper trucks towing anything.

still waiting on responses to ?s 1,2,3 especially the squatting ?

kayteg this is my first camper remember I'm progressing from a conversion van
so I would like a basic camper that doesn't hang way past the rear bumper interfering w/ launching/retrieving the vessel.
most of the smaller C/B class RV are extended way past the rear bumper, main reason of considering a TC.

just a basic camper yes shower/stovetop/dinette remember this is just a weekender because of lack of hotels. however I forsee extended trips for more time and farrer from home.thanks

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
thebrain wrote:
Concerned about chances of the death wooble being increased w/ both 450LB tongue weight and a camper?

No death wobble on my rig, nor any GM truck that I've owned, nor any that friends and family have owned.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator