cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing w/ camper few ?s

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all fellow road gypsies Iโ€™ve worked nationwide on the road for over 22 years always in hotels so Iโ€™m a gypsie.

Iโ€™m Steve reside in Alabama Iโ€™m at 220โ€™ above sea level.

Been using a 02 chevy express 1500 hightop conversion van for towing my 24โ€™ cabin cruiser On 220 mile one way trips to the gulf of Mexico for extended weekends.

My cruising area is Ft.Morgan, AL to Destin, FL. I have family in Destin however itโ€™s gated community HOA controlled no boats in driveway this a million $ home 100โ€™ from bay (not water front) go figure.

I camp on the vessel unless extreme wind even in protected waters, yes there has been times over the years where even me was scared of Mother nature.

Way back in the good old days pre hurricane opel there where two hotels 1 mom pop Mom liked me 2nd a marina type 2 starish this was so easy for me, Iโ€™d launch 3 blocks away at the public boat ramp. Drive over to either hotel which was usually Moms
Tie vessel up to the tourist observation pier.

Walk back move both van & trailer to moms hotel shove the trailer off to the side, dune fun beginnes. Moms had big ice machine and a convenience store next door resturants/night clubs in walking distance again way to easy.

For the last 15 years thereโ€™s no hotels on bayside or intercoastal water way in my area. There are a few w/ docks first come deal I could moore but relucltant, Hence upgrading from open vessel to a cabin so there you have it Iโ€™m forced to livaboard my vessel which I love.

Over these years Iโ€™ve rarely sleep in the van itโ€™s nice and has a sofa bed but cramped and itโ€™s no RV w/ home livable stuff just a bed.

There are expensive hotels w/ boat slips couple w/ paid ramps most ramps are some disstanse, all these hotels donโ€™t allow trailers you have to rent a place for the trailer no thanks way to much crape.

?1.Iโ€™m considering purchasing a small lot where I can pull up w/ a truck camper and stay at like a campsite not sure if the local residents allow even a land owner w/ a power pole to squat for a week at a time. were talking underdeveloped wet lands in Perdido bay area this area is very ritzie.

?2.what type truck is required to firstly tow and stop my 4K LB vessel w/ a decent camper.

?3. I like the wetlands idea so the truck would probably be all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive probably gasoline engine not liking the noise of desil or extra cost of fuel.

Concerned about chances of the death wooble being increased w/ both 450LB tongue weight and a camper?

?4.there are a couple RV camps that could be a possibility same $ as hotel go figure.
The one I stopped and asked about told me if I was to expect to stay here youโ€™re RV
Would need to meet certain requirements like good appearance and less than 10 years old
Sounded like a HOA are TC scrutinized?
Thanks Steve
31 REPLIES 31

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
yes this sounds like are gobberment protecting us in fairness there are protecting porteriey values like.
edit: this campinping w/ the truck camper on my own wet lands, I'm thinking way back in the wetland much less regulated.

the squatting I write of is tempuary while erecting a camping shack.

after crunching the tow capacity # comparing my gtm360 SUV to a 1500 either silverado or a convention express the G360 is twice for the better.

current short plan emphasize on camperizing the vessel w/ completeing the full canvas behind cabin enclosure.

this will like double the inside area of the vessel.

allready have the top of canvas essential for shade, roll down sides would be easy.
I think my plan to reuse some camping equipment on both the TV and the vessel should be considered unrealistic, except for the generater.

so next I makes canvas sides,
what type inzsee glass do you Guys recommend last time I ordered some cheaper chinese stuff I think ordering from them is on hold for a while.
plan on mounting my coleman gasoline 2 burner to the bow next to escape hatch
this is as far away from any fuel fumes located in rear /side of vessel.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
220 drive is nothing. over load that sone of a gun all you want, lol. The weight of the trailer is less of an issue if it has trailer brakes which will stop the trailer leaving the truck to stop itself and the TC.
Tongue weight is important for tires and suspension. Airbags or heavy springs can hold more weight so the weak link will be tires or wheels up to a point.
4,000 lb trailer is not really heavy.
a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is ample, and people haul 30,000 lb trailers with 3/4 ton diesels all the time.
Read through all the post over the years discussin this exact topic to death.

As far as land, yes, most likely surbaban areas ban camping even on your own lot.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
thebrain wrote:
The van Iโ€™ve been towing w/ for last three years has been replaced w/ a gtm360 trailblazer

That would be a GMT360
Bob

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
The van Iโ€™ve been towing w/ for last three years has been replaced w/ a gtm360 trailblazer type SUV it is a midsized w/ 5.3AWD L33 all aluminum engine.itโ€™s called the Saab97xxi5.3 303 horse power 330FT LBs weights 4650LB towes 6500 w/ 600LB
Tongue.weight. this is the finest trailblazer made for nice denial intera 13โ€ rotors on front and rear brakes 18โ€ rims.

I know I a little about the LS1 modding up horse power. Iโ€™ve kindof picked out a stroked 6liter 403ci proballey 650HP normalley. w/ a 4L80E. w/ upgraded transfer case & diff.s
I believe the turbo desils have serious torque. Upwards of 900FT LB w/ little tweeks on turboing.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
If you look on the jeep and 4X4 forums,you will see many saying they get the DW from bad rotors..

Example about if bad rotors give the death wobble:

Jeep Forum..Com wrote:
Yes I had that issue. I turned them and all was good for about 4000 miles. then it came back. I finally got a set of new rotors, the higher quality ones and never had the issue again.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
In instances of death wobble that I've heard about, were also in Jeeps with lift kits and big tires. When death wobble happened, it was typically from hitting a bump or some form of irregularity on the road surface.
Slowing down or stopping brought the death wobble episode under control, but it could happen again at the right speed or a bump.
Bob

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Google..LOL wrote:
What causes the death wobble?

Death wobble is caused by loose or damaged steering components, however, it can also be caused by incorrectly installing steering or suspension parts.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Both cases were on the same hill with two different vehicles after hitting the brakes to slow down and the front end went into total histaria wobbling all over, all but out of control with even the steering wheel shaking terribly ..There was no sign of any issues prior to...It was kinda scary...

Both cases were the rotors should have been replaced rather than turned to or past the limit.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocreek, maybe what you are calling death wobble is different.

I was talking about loss of steering control after hitting signifcant bumps. In some cases, you have to stop and restart. Iโ€™m not sure how that works with warped brakes.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure there may be other causes but both cases I have personally had with the death wabble were from worn out front rotors verified by the local mechanic that had seen it before..New rotors and it was like a new rig without the wobble..

As to diesels,I have owned just one pickup with the dreaded 6.2 and I never put a dime into it other than glow plugs and maintenance of course.Several big rigs with huge cost but huge paydays also..LOL

I am not against them but I prefer a gas engine and it's simplicity and available fuel and mechanics if necessary..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely, people do exaggerate the expense of operating a diesel. But theyโ€™re hard on transmissions because theyโ€™re so torquey, and they cost lots more to buy. My overall cost of ownership on my diesel dually is a lot more than my gas dually, but I gotta say I love the diesel when the camper and/or trailer are on! I donโ€™t โ€œneedโ€ it and for me it hasnโ€™t โ€œmathed outโ€, but I really like driving it.

One other gas/diesel consideration is if youโ€™re gonna drive in the sand. Gas trucks do better in sand because they arenโ€™t so nose-heavy. Different regions have different sand so it may not apply in the south, but in the Oregon sand dunes gas trucks rule for that reason.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
burningman wrote:
Death wobble is worn out front track bars or other front end parts. If your truck is in good shape you wonโ€™t have it, and carrying a camper and towing your boat donโ€™t cause more of it.

In my Jeeping days, a combination of track bar issues, loose ball joints and out of alignment front end caused death wobble. It was compounded on lifted vehicles.

Regarding Diesel trucks, I have one and it makes towing while hauling my camper effortless.

A lot of people will say a diesel truck is drastically more expensive to maintain.
For me, it's not "drastically" more expensive.
I have fuel filters to change about every 10,000 miles ($25.00 each)
I have lifetime LOF at the dealer I purchased my truck from.
I no longer live near them, so I unless I make a trip to the area where they are, which occasionally happens, I do my own oil changes now, which cost about $40.00
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
You need to drive your 24โ€™ cabin cruiser over a scale. Iโ€™ve had a lot of boats and I find it HIGHLY unlikely that any 24โ€™ cabin cruiser on a trailer scales that light (4000 pounds).
My last 22โ€™ cuddy cabin weighed 6000 on the trailer.

Campers that hang past the truck bed a bit arenโ€™t a problem. Often boat trailers have enough tongue to still hitch right up. If they donโ€™t, just use a hitch extension.
I tow a 26 foot cabin cruiser behind a dually pickup with an 11.5 foot camper, that hangs about 4 feet behind the truck.

Death wobble is worn out front track bars or other front end parts. If your truck is in good shape you wonโ€™t have it, and carrying a camper and towing your boat donโ€™t cause more of it.
GM trucks donโ€™t have it because they havenโ€™t had straight axles in front since โ€˜87, โ€˜91 on the crew cabs.
The older diesels were loud. The newer ones are as quiet as a gas truck. Fuel price is higher but they get better mileage. Both of your reasons for not wanting a diesel are mistaken.
However, theyโ€™re expensive to buy and if you donโ€™t drive a whole lot they donโ€™t really pay for themselves. They make driving effortless with a camper and trailer with all their torque though.

You want a dually. Itโ€™s just gonna drive way more solid and confidently with the camper and.boat, and it isnโ€™t any wider than the camper and boat already are.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jimh425 wrote:
Death wobble is generally something that only affects vehicles with solid front axles or front wheel drive vehicles.

Correct.
I've heard about it on lifted Jeep TJs with larger tires, back in my Jeep enthusiast days.

jimh425 wrote:
Iโ€™m pretty sure GM trucks stil donโ€™t have solid front axles.

Yep. GM full size 4WD trucks have been IFS since the 1988 model year. Prior to that they were sold front axle.

The crew cab long bed trucks stuck with the old body style for a few more years.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator