Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with a 2022 Ford F250 7.3L

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

Now looking more into the 250

I was looking into the independent touch screen Navigation that comes with the XLT Pkg. Also with the Pkg comes camera pro trailer backup camera. Getting the pkg along with a few other minor things would set me back almost another 5K. No monthly cost from ford for the navigation.

Now on the XL and 5k less I was told the Navigation screen will work off my phone GPS via bluetooth

any pro's & con's on the 2 navigations?

Truck I'm looking at now would have a 6' bed or 148" wheel base. I did a online search, says for 148" wheel base truck, trailer should be no more than a 30'. I'm looking at now is a 25' trailer but in future wondering would be an acceptable max trailer length

Thank you for your replies/opinions
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)
29 REPLIES 29

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mdcamping wrote:
yikes I got to ask more questions concerning the Navigation, ford said there was no monthy charge for the independent touch screen Navigation but I will check into this.

We have an very old, lower cost Verizon plan with unlimited data (no plans to ever give up the plan) so I am still on the fence on a direction to go concerning the XL vs XLT Navigation

Thanks
Mike

and still researching trucks :C

Mike

No there is no monthly charge for the indash GPS. You just upgrade it with a "Sim card" every year or so. $35.00 on line. Well worth it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
The 7.3 motor looks like a great motor, especially with the 10-speed. I have a 2003 Suburban with the 8.1L and 4-speed. I've plotted the power available at highway speeds with each gear and this looks like it has similar power available in the lower RPM's while cruising to my 8.1L and much more power available than my 8.1L if you want to drop a few gears for climbing hills.

As for navigation, I have found that Google Maps works the best of anything I've tried and I like it when I have Android Auto available to show it on the cars screen. If you plan to go somewhere with spotty cell service, just download the maps to your phone for those areas ahead of time. Then it works flawlessly with no cell service. For this summer I made sure to download maps for all of Michigan (spent a lot of time in the upper peninsula with poor cell service) and also Indiana and Ohio as we were in areas I did not know if I would always have service. Even if you have service, it pulls up gas stations and other destinations much more quickly and reliably if you download the area. Works great!
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been looking at an XLTs, and I think there are actually 3 things navigation wise to consider.

The XL has a smaller screen(5" maybe), and I don't think it will show a map, but if you have your phone connected, you will hear them tell you to turn. Double check me to be on the safe side.

On the XLT, it has a bigger 8" screen, and there are 2 possible ways to do maps. On all the XLTs you have Car Play or Android Auto that connects to your phone and you can choose from a couple of mapping apps that will show in the screen and give directions over the speakers.
There is also an option of built in Navigation that is like an extra $500. I don't know why anyone would pay for it, it is not as good as the phone option.

Everything I read/watch says that the new 7.3 is a beast.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
MetalGator wrote:
way2roll wrote:
The issue with built in Nav is that once it's outdated the only way to upgrade is to swap the whole unit.

I have built in NAV in my 7 year old Jeep and it is easy to update the software and the MAPS. They come out with a new map update at least once a year. However, it is very expensive. I believe it's $199 to upgrade the Maps so I am still using the 7 year old maps. They did have a special one time to update the Maps for $99 but I still didn't do it. I did update the NAV software (which was free) so the interface looks a bit more modern now.

Right, so I mis spoke, maybe it's easier and/or cheaper just to update the whole unit.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
The issue with built in Nav is that once it's outdated the only way to upgrade is to swap the whole unit.

I have built in NAV in my 7 year old Jeep and it is easy to update the software and the MAPS. They come out with a new map update at least once a year. However, it is very expensive. I believe it's $199 to upgrade the Maps so I am still using the 7 year old maps. They did have a special one time to update the Maps for $99 but I still didn't do it. I did update the NAV software (which was free) so the interface looks a bit more modern now.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
philh wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Ride "quality", especially empty, is worse on a F350.

Ride should be the same between F350 and high capacity F250

This is really my only complaint with my truck. Empty it rides a little rough and bouncy. I back the PSI off to 60 when not towing and that helps. I guess you can pick your battles. The tradeoff is that when I am towing it rides like a Cadillac. That's what it's built to do, not a grocery getter.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'm reminded of a friend that has car with built in NAV. Years ago, it was awesome. now it's woefully outdated and clunky compared to newer apps. The issue with built in Nav is that once it's outdated the only way to upgrade is to swap the whole unit. I Use WAZE on my phone and it displays on the screen of my F350 and it works great. If I ever decide to use another NAV app, it's not problem.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Where did the OP say he was getting the high capacity F250?

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
I am towing a 37 foot fifth wheel but the 7.3, so far no problems , I’m not planning on towing in the mountains

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
yikes I got to ask more questions concerning the Navigation, ford said there was no monthy charge for the independent touch screen Navigation but I will check into this.

We have an very old, lower cost Verizon plan with unlimited data (no plans to ever give up the plan) so I am still on the fence on a direction to go concerning the XL vs XLT Navigation

Thanks
Mike

and still researching trucks :C

Mike
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
We'll See wrote:
OP, are you getting the regular cab, extended cab or crew cab? The bed lengths for the 250/350 are either 6.75' or 8'.

The wheelbase you mention of 148" would not be for a crew cab truck. Crew cab f150s with a 5.5' bed have 145" wheelbases.

yeah I rounded low, it's an extended cab/super cab 6.75' 148" wheelbase

Mike

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
OP, are you getting the regular cab, extended cab or crew cab? The bed lengths for the 250/350 are either 6.75' or 8'.

The wheelbase you mention of 148" would not be for a crew cab truck. Crew cab f150s with a 5.5' bed have 145" wheelbases.
Jeep and Explorer

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
^^^ The F350 SRW is about $300 more than the F250 with high capacity tow package .... Although the two trucks will be identical other than badging, the f350 will give you considerably more payload, if you are at all concerned about the number on the door sticker.