cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with a Toyota Sequoia: wheel size question

Krisbabs
Explorer
Explorer
We recently bought a used 2010 Sequoia Limited to tow a travel trailer. (It's rated to haul up to 7500 lbs., we're just looking to tow 5000 or under. We haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, but we've towed a couple rental trailers and it's done pretty well.) The Sequoia is about due for new tires, and it has 20" wheels. My brother recommended that I get smaller diameter wheels for towing. Any advice for a towing newbie before we drop extra $ on wheels AND tires?
15 REPLIES 15

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You can't downsize the tire/wheel enough to make an appreciable difference in towing performance. For that to happen the tires would have to be so small that the rims would not fit over the brake discs. It would look ridiculous.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ You're correct.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Krisbabs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input, everyone, very helpful. The OEM tire size is 275/55R20 (sorry for not including that in my original post), and I'm gathering that the general consensus is that a new wheel size is not necessary, so I'm looking at replacing the current tires with the Michelin-LTX M/S2. I guess my younger brother implied that our Sequoia's big rims were more for looks than towing, but he lives in Tahoe and does a lot of complicated rock crawling. He drives a Ford F350 van customized as a deep-off road rig, and it's all function! We're not planning on doing anything more backcountry than the occasional graded dirt road in summer in a national forest campground, and we're definitely keeping the GVWR below 5000. Thanks again, I'll let you all know what we go with for a TT!

ordually
Explorer
Explorer
Sequoia owner here. Like others have said, you may want to consider LT tires. I bought a set of 18" take-off wheels (Tundra 5 lug wheels match exactly) for putting a set of LT-C tires on. I've only towed with LT tires and am happy with the experience. I'm not sure if LT is available in the 275/55/20 size, you'd have to check tirerack.com or other online tire sites.

A little more info: I've towed my 5.5K travel trailer (12.5K combined at the scale) with my 2011 Sequoia for 8 seasons, 50 or so round trips through the Colorado mountains. Performance is excellent up and down the hills.
2005 F350 SRW V10 4.10 CC LB 4x4; BW Turnover ball; LineX
2011 Sequoia 5.7L 4.30; Tundra Towing Mirrors; LT 275/65R18 C Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs on 2nd set of wheels
2005 Nash 22H TT

blt2ski
I have not had issues with 225-70-19.5 lrG tires on my mdt. I would agree with grit dog, get into to 50 or lower on some time sizes. Locally some cement rigs are using 35-40 series ties in the front axle. This have 6-8" of sidewall too. No issues from what I've heard or seen.
The real issue IMHO with LOW profile tires will be the actual sidewall height per say. Have 2", you will have issues. Have 5-6+", you have sidewall height to allow flex and not hit the rim. I would also assume, higher psi in a given tire size, would also not allow the sidewall to flex, such that the rim hits a curb, pothole etc to damage it.
As I stated before, plus and minus's to the two tire sizes I mentioned above, add in an 18-20" rim equals, 265mm in width, same 31.5" overall diam. Just lower sidwall% height, those could have a higher potential for rim damage, be it on the street, or off roading.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"This would be my understanding as well, having more sidewall to absorb bumps under a load. I know of people who have ruined rims with low profile tires and massive pot holes."

True story for much lower profile than most trucks/suvs run.
Another common misnomer, especially with this crowd, is that "low profile" 20s on full size trucks are detrimental to their performance.
Generally not the case with 50 series or greater aspect ratio tires.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
RIm diam as mentioned, does not matter, a 256-75-16 and a 265-70-17 are both the same overall diam, width, tire patch, revs per mile etc etc. You might get better mpg with the 17" tire vs 16, as the sidewall will not flex as much etc. Braking is also better with the lower profile tires......There are bad parts too, ie off roading is better with the 16" tires, as you have more sidewall to work with if you air down, ie like 10-20 lbs vs 40-80 depending upon load rating of tires etc.

Marty
This would be my understanding as well, having more sidewall to absorb bumps under a load. I know of people who have ruined rims with low profile tires and massive pot holes.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
What is the TV’s payload? Classic mistake! Buy or select the trailer first, then match a tow vehicle to it. Your brother is well meaning but knows little about TVs and TTs.

Why is that a mistake? The OP said they were looking at 5k trailers. They know what they want. If someone knows their limits it's not a mistake, it's thought out and not an impulse buy.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Open the driver’s door and look at the tire sticker on the door jamb that lists the tire size and inflation pressures. That’s the size tire you want. As already mentioned, install an LT tire of the same size instead of the P tires that came on the vehicle.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

blt2ski
RIm diam as mentioned, does not matter, a 256-75-16 and a 265-70-17 are both the same overall diam, width, tire patch, revs per mile etc etc. You might get better mpg with the 17" tire vs 16, as the sidewall will not flex as much etc. Braking is also better with the lower profile tires......There are bad parts too, ie off roading is better with the 16" tires, as you have more sidewall to work with if you air down, ie like 10-20 lbs vs 40-80 depending upon load rating of tires etc.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The Sequoia is based on the Tundra drivetrain and as such already comes with an excellent 4.30 rear gear ratio for towing. No need to downsize the tires. Stick with the stock size but upgrade from the stock P rated tires to LT tires for better towing.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What is the TV’s payload? Classic mistake! Buy or select the trailer first, then match a tow vehicle to it. Your brother is well meaning but knows little about TVs and TTs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ What huntindog said.
You're fine with (presumably factory) 20s. What size tires are on it?
Find a nice XL or LT rated tire close to the OE tire size/diameter if you're going to be towing and everything will work just as designed.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on what "diameter" of the tire you are looking to reduce?

I've got OEM 20" wheels on my 13 F150. Stock size is 275/55/20. They are about 32" tall overall.

The OEM spare tire for my truck is an 18" wheel diameter...

They are basically the same overall height of 32".

Your brother might be thinking that reducing the overall height of the tire is better.. And yes, that will change your final rear gear drive ratio, but then you will have to re-calibrate your speedo/odo depending on where you go with it..

Most folks go for taller tires and want that "big tire look", and that's all fine and dandy, but if you increase the overall height of your tires, to say, 33" or 35" or taller, you are changing your overall gear ratio for the worse if TOWING is your goal..

I'd stick with the stock size tire and if you get a #5000 GVWR TT (not #5000 dry weight) you should be just fine..

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.