Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toyota FJ towing Shadow Cruiser 225 RBS

gon2dadawgs
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
We recently downsized to a Shadow Cruiser, factory specs Dry:4210, GVWR:7325. Firstly who is gonna pack 3115 in a camping trailer!? All tanks full would make approx. 900......never happen!

I have been towing with a '95 Dodge 3500 DRW CTD and its time to retire her....250K still dependable as ever. Just want more comfort, (I heard we are getting older) Huh!

Just wanted to know if anyone out there is towing with an FJ (4X4 or 2 WD) and feedback from them, weights, MPG and such. I was considering a gasser 1/2 ton pickup but the comforts of an SUV do appeal to me.

Thanks In Advance (TIA)

Michael
Home is where you unhitch
18 REPLIES 18

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
delete

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Waynrdude wrote:
Hello, would you still have your 225 RBS Shadow Cruiser? If you do I have a friendly request. I had a blow out and the tire destroyed the wiring that goes to the slide, both 12v for light and 110v for receptacles. I have the slide end of the wiring under the dinette, no problem there. The problem is where the wires go into the "basement". There are two wire ties on the outside bottom of the slide but I can not see where the wires go for power. Is there a "curly" wire that retracts? With the room extended a photograph would truly help where to start digging for the wire. I would like to thank you in advance if you could help. The manufacture is useless, they won't even answer an email. Wayne

Since this thread is nearly 7 years old and the OP hasn't posted for a very long time, I think you're better off sending them a PM.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Waynrdude
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, would you still have your 225 RBS Shadow Cruiser? If you do I have a friendly request. I had a blow out and the tire destroyed the wiring that goes to the slide, both 12v for light and 110v for receptacles. I have the slide end of the wiring under the dinette, no problem there. The problem is where the wires go into the "basement". There are two wire ties on the outside bottom of the slide but I can not see where the wires go for power. Is there a "curly" wire that retracts? With the room extended a photograph would truly help where to start digging for the wire. I would like to thank you in advance if you could help. The manufacture is useless, they won't even answer an email. Wayne
2002 Blue Holiday Rambler Endeavor.
Our Toad is a Beetle 2001 Blue.
Full time by 2005 is the goal.
Alaska this summer, let's go!
WB4IEJ is my ham call, what's yours?

APT
Explorer
Explorer
RV towing is not like anything else, except maybe enclosed cargo or car hauler. Weight plus aerodynamics. There are few satisfied RVers towing with mid-sized/V6 trucks.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Fireman02
Explorer
Explorer
If your looking to stay smaller than a full size pickup the Tacoma has a 6500lb towing capacity. Ive owned both, a 07 Tacoma and a 11 Tundra, and both were probably the best 2 vehicles ive owned. With the Tacoma I towed a mustang to the drag strip a few times ( around 4-4500 lbs) with no problems.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Big Horn auto: 20% tint, Line-x, etc..
2013 Springdale 303bhssr

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a 10k pound RV and a 5k pound RV is not much different ,assuming both are withing the limits of the tow vehicle. Aerodynamic drag is the problem except for mountains, then weight is a factor. Check out Ford's F-150 Ecoboost. It tows similarly to diesels and big block gassers due to the peak torque in 2500rpm range.

The 5.7L Tundra is strong. Be careful of payloads.

Also check out the 2011+ VW Touareg TDI and 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. They should handle that TT well while delivering good fuel economy towing and not. Payload will still be low. 2014 Ram 1500 will offer the same diesel as the Jeep.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
A friend had an FJ and it's nice for what it's designed for but I wouldn't use it for towing much. If you like Toyota, get yourself a 5.7 Tundra.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

MB_Flatlander
Explorer
Explorer
We went down this same path this past winter/spring.

We bought a '12 S225RBS in December(stored at dealership until spring)and planned on towing it with our '03 V6 4Runner. I had previously upgraded the 4Runner with a transmission cooler, air bags and the WD hitch used on the V8's, increasing our tow capacity as documented in the owns manual to somewhere around 7000lbs, don't remember, as we don't own the 4Runner anymore. Get to that later.

Our first camper that we pulled around for 2 summers was 17', with a dry weight of 3000lbs and tongue weight of 325lbs. The 4Runner pulled it just fine with no complaints. We then wanted more room and found the perfect layout with the S225RBS. With a dry weight of 4500lbs and tongue weight of 425lbs I knew the 4Ruuner was going to have to work harder on the hills and fighting side winds but I thought we would be ok. We had our sons diesel as a backup plan if it didn't work out.

Well a couple weeks before picking up new TT our son sold his truck which left us a little concerned about what might happen if towing the S225RBS didn't work out as planned. My biggest fear was that the with short wheelbase the new TT was going to be an issue winds and semi traffic.

At the last minute we chose to sell our beloved 4Ruuner and bought an Avalanche. Now having towed the new TT with the Avalanche I'm pretty confident it would have been a struggle for the 4Runner and me, each and every trip. That extra 1500lbs and 5' of camper is a lot to consider and with the FJ's wheelbase being 4" shorter than the 4Runner this would add to the problem.

The Avalanche tows the S225RBS without any issues and we get equivalent or sometimes even better mileage towing with it than we did with the 4Runner and the previous TT. We don't regret making the decision to buy the S225RBS or the Avalanche.

Hope this helps out.

Mike/Theresa

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
gon2dadawgs wrote:
Thanks for all the thought out replies! Funny cause Tundra was in second place. Time to compare capacities, years, engines....and so on.

Oh yes, going from 165" wheelbase?, DRW, Cummins....gonna be a big change...its the one ton suspension and mechanical (P7100 pump) noisy diesel. 230/605 TST plate, lots of power, but we were pulling 10k.

Michael

Very happy with my Tundra for both comfort and towing ability.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
you do know that the FJ has a max towing capacity of 5000lbs., right?

and the bogus "dry" weight of the trailer is 4210lbs., which DOES NOT include the weights of "options"(oven, microwave, spare tire, a/c and awning, to name a few), battery, water, propane or cargo.
my HTT had a similar brochure "dry" weight, but its actual weight from the factory, was 400lbs. more than the "dry" weight.

so, as it sits on the dealer lot, it'll weigh over 4500lbs. before you add anything in it.

so, loaded for camping, you'll easily be over the FJ's 5000lbs. max amount.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

gon2dadawgs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the thought out replies! Funny cause Tundra was in second place. Time to compare capacities, years, engines....and so on.

Oh yes, going from 165" wheelbase?, DRW, Cummins....gonna be a big change...its the one ton suspension and mechanical (P7100 pump) noisy diesel. 230/605 TST plate, lots of power, but we were pulling 10k.

Michael
Home is where you unhitch

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
Like the 4 Runners the FJ's do not make good TV's. Stability is the issue. You will need to look at connection systems like the Pro Pride or Hensley no sway hitches.

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
No way an FJ would do it. I looked into the FJ's a lot too. The wheel base is too short for one. Seccond, you are already maxing out the tow limit. Third, payload is going to be an issue. Forth, big tires with side wall will squat you'll be all over the road.

Not too many people towing 20'+ TTs with an FJ. Sucks, because I wanted one too.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
gon2dadawgs wrote:
Firstly who is gonna pack 3115 in a camping trailer!?

My wife!