cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer length - does that influence spot availability?

dlgobeavs
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All-

My family is new to RV camping, and looking to invest in a new or new to us trailer. We are looking at trailers that vary between 30-35 feet in length.

My question, is whether a 35' trailer will put us in a length category where we start to find limited spots at a typical campground? I know each campground will vary, but generally, does 35' put us in a category where there are limited spots that will accommodate? If so, what maximum length would you recommend to ensure we have the most choices?

Thanks in advance!!

Dave
37 REPLIES 37

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've done OK with sites for a 30-35' coach in the western national parks, but the problems are the access roads within the campgrounds.

You'll occasionally get up close and personal with trees on some of them, particularly in turns.

National Forest campgrounds are a lot more limited for large spaces, but as long as you get there early in the day, we've had decent luck.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
dlgobeavs wrote:
Hello All-

My family is new to RV camping, and looking to invest in a new or new to us trailer. We are looking at trailers that vary between 30-35 feet in length.

My question, is whether a 35' trailer will put us in a length category where we start to find limited spots at a typical campground? I know each campground will vary, but generally, does 35' put us in a category where there are limited spots that will accommodate? If so, what maximum length would you recommend to ensure we have the most choices?

Thanks in advance!!

Dave

Absolutely!

I had a 29' travel trailer previous to the Pop Up. It was always limited to the longer sites and even more importantly, the more level sites due to it's long length between the axles and the hitch foot.

Shorter campers get the better spots for sure. That's why you usually see the very long 31+ footers in the middle of the park, out in the grass with little tree cover instead of backed up against the tree line or forest. That's the only spots those monsters can fit.

Good luck in your choice.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
It's basically like this. The prime sites go to those who reserve first. the longer you wait, the less and less choices are available to you. Do you feel lucky today?

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
People that have big rigs have to plan everything ahead and make reservations. That is why so many of them say "we never have a problem."

I like to travel and go where I please so I make few reservations. A trailer around 24 feet is a good maximum size for winging it.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honestly. There are CGs on the Blue Ridge Parkway that we, with our 30' TT have a hard time fitting in. At Julian Price Park. There are only 5 sites it will fit. Linville Falls is pretty much the same.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 35 ft travel trailer. Never ran into any issues with finding spots.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
We travel with our 36’ and have not had major problems. The public parks east of the Mississippi have been the most restricted. The western states have been much easier because we boondock a lot. Some of the western parks are too small, but we’ve always managed to find a spot with or without hookups pretty close to where we wanted to be and usually just as nice as the ones that were too small.
For us the comfort of the bigger rig always outweighs the minimal hassle.

x2 on this.

our TT is 37ft. we plan ahead with reservations far in advance at state parks and private cg's

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many are in your family, and what ages for any kiddos? Any fur friends going along? That can make a difference in the floor plan that you're considering and will impact the trailer size.

For example, if you're going to need sleeping for 3 kiddos, you'll probably be looking at a trailer offering 3-4 bunk beds. Where they are located in the trailer can make a difference as to length. Are the bunks lengthwise or crosswise?

Previously I had a Keystone Outback 25RSS that had bunks in front crosswise, and 2 slide outs. Would accommodate 4-6 on board. That, to me was close to ideal for length and floor plan. Never had any problems with any site limitations, either commercial park or NP/USFS CG. Box of the trailer was a bit over 22 ft, total length was about 26 ft. Rear slide was another 5 ft but could overhang the rear limits of most sites.

Find a floor plan and length that fits your needs now and in to the future, unless you specifically know you're likely to buy something different in a few years (ie, kiddos getting older and not likely to be going along a few years down the road).

Something to consider -- RENT a trailer for a few trips out, to see what would work for your family and the size you're interested in. Try out that 30-35 ft trailer in one of your favourite spots, see how it works for you. May find that you could go with a shorter length with the same basic floor plan, or that 30 ft is doable for you.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this is your first trailer-----chose carefully. I'll bet that after a year or so, another unit will peak your interest.
Maybe look for a good used unit first--take a friend with you when looking. A friend will find item and issues that you won't.
If you're still working full time, do you want to spend $$$$ to sit along side the house or in a storage yard? Again, maybe check used.
35 feet will hamper a large number of spots to camp, especially if you like to use forest service, BLM, or city parks. I'm NOT knocking a few on here when they say they use pull throughs or have long rigs, but "SIZE DOES MATTER."
My bride and I currently have a 30 foot (hitch to rear tire) tow behind with a slide, big tanks, a sofa, insulated windows, big batteries, and a full queen bed (not a RV queen), and it works just great for us. In fact, we downsized from a larger fifth wheel because we didn't use that large of a space. We tow with a 3/4 ton gasser and go anywhere we want.
The important thing is that you use it! The RV!

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Our Puma 25RS is 30 Foot from nose to tail, never had a problem finding a site. The COE sites will usually tell you about the lengths. Go for what you feel comfortable with...
Mark

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in 35ft and have no problem finding sites. There are a small number that are restricted to 24ft or less.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stay at a lot of national parks. Yellowstone for example has this notice in their campground section of their web site:
"Campground sites that will accommodate a maximum combined length of 40-feet or more are limited."
Notice that it says COMBINED length. That is TT and tow vehicle.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to someone who compiled every federal campground spot a few years ago at 35' you still officially fit into 85% of sites, every foot over drops you around 4-5%. State spots are generally a bit more lenient but it's not that far off.

Heck, if you make reservations last minute like I did for my current trip every foot counts. We got the last spot at 3 campgrounds, 1 would fit up to 24', the one we're on right now is super tight at 18', the one tomorrow would fit 30-31' but no longer than that.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The perfect size is 15' when towing and 45 when parked.... Of course like most things, a compromise needs to be made. My trailers have grown over the years. 24',28', 34', and about to be 44'.... Obvously, I have not found size to be much of an issue. But my camping is likely different from your camping. Only you can make the choice that is right for you. Anyone elses opinion doesn't matter.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW