cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRAILER MOUNTED BACK UP CAMERA

Dragonfly
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the search function and couldn't find an archive to check if trailer back up cameras have been discussed. I had a back up camera on my now gone 23 foot motor home and used it often. Especially as I learn the fine art of backing, I would like to add one to my 19 foot Airstream.

I have a $100 wireless back up camera on my truck license plate. I want to keep it to see over the high tailgate of a F150 in tight spaces and to line up on the trailer hitch. I found a camera system which has both the truck rear plate camera and a trailer camera both feeding to one screen. When you hitch up the trailer you also connect the trailer camera over riding the truck camera. It is wireless which makes me nervous about covering the distance from trailer back to truck cab.

Bottom line ...
- What are your thoughts on the usefulness of a back up camera on a trailer?
- Have you used wireless across the truck trailer distance?
- The truck cam is wired to the back up lights. Since the trailer has no back up lights what do you wire the cam to, the tail lights?

Thanks for your thoughts.
DRAGONFLY - 2011, Provan Tiger CX, on a F350, 4WD, regular cab chassis
11 REPLIES 11

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was looking at the Voyager but they are way over priced and when I found that ASA made them I knew that I didn't want one. I had a small wireless system of their's that I bought several years ago to monitor the rear of my hay baler. It didn't work half the time because of interference.
I got the Rear View Safety RVS-7706123WQ. It will support four cameras at once. I also had to buy the optional suction cup mount for $30.
Total cost was $341 including shipping.
I am heading out camping again tomorrow so will not have time to get it wired up for this trip but am looking forward to it, as all reviews that I have read here said they worked good.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have wired system here. I purchased monitor, cameras and cable from ebay sellers.

The monitor clips on the rear view mirror. Looking at the monitor is no different than looking at the mirror. I wired the truck with cable end, coiled up by the tailgate. When I hitch up, I pull out enough cable to reach a camera, that I set on the bumper. I can watch the monitor and back the hitch right to the coupler. The need to jockey the truck around, is rare.

I wired the trailer with enough cable to reach into the bed of the truck. After hitching up, I unplug the bumper camera and plug in the trailer. The trailer camera is mounted high up (just below center running light) and angled downward, to reduce glare. Going down the road, checking my rear view, is pretty much the same as if the trailer wasn't there.

On a previous trailer, I had mounted the camera down low, and pointed straight back. Driving west, early in the day, or driving east, late in the day, the camera was useless, all I could see on the monitor, was sun glare.

Here are links to materials similar to what I used.

Monitor

Camera

Cable

There are several options, as to how you power the system. Some folks wire them to back up lights (thats only good for reverse), some folks wire them into the vehicle's running lights, and some folks use alternate sources. I made a power plug, that plugs into a 12 volt outlet, in the truck cab.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
There are wireless cameras that only have a strong enough signal to go to the back of your truck for hitching up. I got one for $100 off ebay. But it's not strong enough to go to the back of the trailer. I believe the rear-view safety wireless are guaranteed for 70'. They should work ok.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

MontanaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
there was a post on this not to long ago. I helped two guys out that PMd me, sent them a vid of what I have and wording on how I hooked mine up...I did not want to go wireless, wired seemed the only way to go for me....I love my camera that is 35' away from my back bumper.....makes backing up easier and the wife and I can start camping still liking each other. Radios are still a must, but cameras are awesome. Would not go with out one. I really like it going down the road, I can see if some one is riding my a$$, and when Im going into another lane, there is no guessing if there is room, with a camera, you can see.

ohh, and I have 2 cameras and a 7 inch screen, you can switch between the two. under 200 bucks
'07 301BHS FOR SALE
'07 Dodge 2500 w/5.9L SOLD
'96 wife
4 dogs
2 cats
10 rc's

Been pulling a trailer for 16 years
2013 camping nights: 16
2014 camping nights: 28!! Then tranny went out........

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Rear View Safety 2 camera system with 7" color monitor. One camera on the back of my F150 and one mounted high on the back of my Trail Runner. There's night vision and even small microphones if you care to hear audio. That helps when my wife is guiding me back to hook up. It's easy to align the ball left and right but not so easy to see when you are under the mount. Being 2D viewing, I swear I have to have the ball under the mount and when I get out to look I have another foot to go. The audio comes in very handy then. The camera on the back of the camper works great too. It's very handy to see what's directly behind you. As you know, many people drive too darn close to the vehicle in front of them and you can't see them in your mirrors. That problem is eliminated with a camera on the back. My system wasn't cheap. $450 but the larger color screen, peace of mind, and zero aggravation made it worth it for me.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Dragonfly
Explorer
Explorer
A BACKUP CAMERA ASIDE ... I had a great visor mounted monitor, back camera system on my 23 foot Dynamax motorhome. It was wired, which is my and many on the forum's preference.

HOWEVER, for some reason the squirrels took a liking to just that cable which ran under the camper. They chewed through the cable in SEVEN places. Luckily, they never chewed on anything else. I speculated that the installer had a peanut butter sandwich for lunch and got the oil on the cable.

Dragonfly
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I'm just-about-put-my-money-down for a backup camera system. One of the great members here on this Forum shared with me what he's using. I could forward the details to you, if wished. His system was a wired system and I plan to duplicate it. IMO, wireless can be problematic and wired is relatively easy to accomplish (I'm pretty much 100% DIY, YMMV) and inexpensive.

Westend, YES, I would like to see details of the system you are considering. Wired does feel more stable and long lasting.

Dragonfly
Explorer
Explorer
mbutts wrote:
I haven't done it yet. This site is pretty useful:Video by Jim

Thanks, I like it. Something along this line is probably what I will do.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Many here don't seem to like wireless, but mine has worked well for me. I can't say I use it much for backing up but I do use it to watch traffic behind me. Because I use it that way I wired it into the running lights as I always run with lights on.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't done it yet. This site is pretty useful:Video by Jim
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just-about-put-my-money-down for a backup camera system. One of the great members here on this Forum shared with me what he's using. I could forward the details to you, if wished. His system was a wired system and I plan to duplicate it. IMO, wireless can be problematic and wired is relatively easy to accomplish (I'm pretty much 100% DIY, YMMV) and inexpensive.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton