cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer parts that are rip offs.

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
During a recent road trip with my Crossroads, Sunset Trail Travel trailer, I blew a tire and it wiped out the plastic Skirt on one side. I called my dealer and they said they could order me a replacement for $40. I'm still waiting on the part but discovered my cost will be over $100 due to the cost of shipping. $60 for shipping one plastic fender skirt is a rip off. I called the dealer back and they replied that they do not set the prices. There must be better places to buy parts at more reasonable prices. I need to part and I'M stuck with it.
26 REPLIES 26

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
If you can fine a matching fender skirt that you know will fit for less than $110.00, you are one up on me.

I thought about making-do with the old one but it was just postponing the inevitable.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fireman41 wrote:
Passin Thru wrote:
UPS and Fedex only make about $23000.00/load hauled from La to NY. My Class 8 made $7500 for the same trip w/48000 lb. Say that's not over charging!

Is that total revenue, or profit?

Exactly, Did your class 8 then distribute/deliver the load door to door like UPS/Fedex?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
UPS and Fedex only make about $23000.00/load hauled from La to NY. My Class 8 made $7500 for the same trip w/48000 lb. Say that's not over charging!

Is that total revenue, or profit?

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Some dealers can get items shipped from the factory with the transport guy delivering an RV. Had that done with a couple of 8' pieces of 1x2 and some cabinet doors (to match the finish in our TT). Saved a lot compared to what a courier would have cost. The dealer could be getting free shipping and still charging the $60.

Do some checking around on the internet from fender skirt vendors. RV Parts Nation shipping cost for ex. would be $13 for USPS ground and $16 for UPS ground for a pair of fender skirts to our mailbox in WA. Could go to usps.com or ups.com and get a quote for an estimated size & weight.

I did similar with some matching "plywood" door fronts, etc. to make some new drawers and accy for our trailer. Parts guy offered free shipping as long I wasn't in a big hurry and they could have it shipped on a consolidated shipment with some trailers coming in.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
If you set down and think about how many people it takes to get that part from one side of the country to the next, $60 is a fair price.

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Try Amazon or google the part on line

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:
Spade Cooley wrote:
Many thanks for all the good suggestions. The beauty of it was the parts just arrived and were correct so it wasn't all bad. I just installed the plastic skirt and it fit fine. I just hate a rip off. Now I'm ready to hit the road once again.

The bad taste in my mouth did discourage me from buying another RV. I thought I was ready for a new travel trailer but dealing with dealers is not fun. I'll get buy with my old one.

Refer back to my post; you were not "necessarily" ripped off. Large items like fenders go by "dimensional weight" as I described. Few people understand dimensional weight and wonder why a 5 lb item cost $60 to ship. The reason is "dimensionally" UPS charges $60 for that big box you just received!

Now, I'm not saying the box did not cost the shipper $45 in actually UPS shipping and they charged you $60, but that is a discussion for another day........

Absolutely correct!

In other words once you EXCEED a certain SIZE (dimensions) it is considered OVERSIZED and the shipping costs shoots way up.

Does not matter if it is in a cardboard box, a tube or complete wooden crate once it exceeds the standard shipping size you get surcharged.

A wheel well skirt WILL easily exceed standard shipping rates size because it is LONG.

UPS at one time had a chain that you wrapped around your item and as long as the chain ends touched it would ship for standard rates..

If ANY of the dimensions did not allow the chain ends touch it was consider oversized..

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Spade Cooley wrote:
Many thanks for all the good suggestions. The beauty of it was the parts just arrived and were correct so it wasn't all bad. I just installed the plastic skirt and it fit fine. I just hate a rip off. Now I'm ready to hit the road once again.

The bad taste in my mouth did discourage me from buying another RV. I thought I was ready for a new travel trailer but dealing with dealers is not fun. I'll get buy with my old one.

Refer back to my post; you were not "necessarily" ripped off. Large items like fenders go by "dimensional weight" as I described. Few people understand dimensional weight and wonder why a 5 lb item cost $60 to ship. The reason is "dimensionally" UPS charges $60 for that big box you just received!

Now, I'm not saying the box did not cost the shipper $45 in actually UPS shipping and they charged you $60, but that is a discussion for another day........
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know how bad of shape it was in but, could you have fixed the old one good enough to look good at 20 feet ? For that price I think I would have done that until I found a better deal.

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
The solenoid switch for the starter on my ATV is acting up, so I looked on line at the various ATV stores, and the prices ranged from a low of $29 to a high of $59.
just for the heck of it I looked on Amazon, and they had them for just about every make of ATV and the cost for mine was $8 with free shipping.
I ordered it and three days later it arrived in the mail

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

arkie_guide
Explorer
Explorer
I check price and shipping cost on ever thing I order - Shipping & handling, can be a rip off.many times buying from a local vender is cheaper because they often get free shipping. Of course a single source provider has us over a barrel.For RV parts check all the RV salvage dealers first.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some dealers can get items shipped from the factory with the transport guy delivering an RV. Had that done with a couple of 8' pieces of 1x2 and some cabinet doors (to match the finish in our TT). Saved a lot compared to what a courier would have cost. The dealer could be getting free shipping and still charging the $60.

Do some checking around on the internet from fender skirt vendors. RV Parts Nation shipping cost for ex. would be $13 for USPS ground and $16 for UPS ground for a pair of fender skirts to our mailbox in WA. Could go to usps.com or ups.com and get a quote for an estimated size & weight.