cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer Tire Failure, 29ft Cougar

Timbob11
Explorer
Explorer
I know the tire issue has likely been hashed over many times. Just wanted to share my experience to support the people who recommend changing tires every 6 yrs or so. To hopefully save fellow RV friends from costly damage and being stranded. I have a 29ft 2012 Cougar travel trailer (6500lbs dry). Last summer I noticed a bulging or broken belt in one of the tires. I could see it in the mirror when driving and feel a pulsation when braking, that's how bad it was. I checked the rest of the tires and found 3 of the 4 had belt issues. Note:I jack each tire yearly for brake and bearing maintenace, no tire issues noted before. The one good tire was replaced by previous owner after puncture damage. I assumed it was ok and bought 3 new tires. Installed Goodyear Endurance made in USA. Original tires were Trail Rider ST that are made in china. Now on first trip this summer the 4th tire, also had a major belt failure. Installed spare for trip home and it also showed signs of tread separation when we got home. Therefore, 2 more Goodyear Endurance tires installed. I am very mechanically inclinded and grew up in a truck driver family and i am 20 yr plus expereinced maintenace technician in Nuclear power plant. I always checked tire pressure before every trip, There is no alignment issue with trailer alxes, failed tires actually had 80% or better tread remaining. Tires were always protected from sun. And i never mashed tires into curbs etc.. Only abuse is from the normal road pot holes etc.. And i don`t drive at excessive speeds. Anyway, in Summary: All tires had the belts fail with in a year of each other. with over 80% tread left and no signs of cracking or deterioration. I dont have the manufacture date as tires have been trashed. But trailer was built in 2011 and i had looked previously but did not put exact date to memory. So i know tires were 8-10yrs old. I have 2 conclusions why tires went bad, #1 is age with a non main stream manufacturer from China. And #2, loading. Original tires were load range D (approx 2100lbs at 65psi), New tires from Goodyear in my size are only offered in Load Range E (approx 2500lbs at 80psi)

I recommend to anyone with trailer tires that have reached that 6-7yr mark, it hurts, but change your tires for new. Cost me $1000 Canadian for 5 tires, 225/75R15. At a minmun, But a jack under the axle, give the tire a spin and make sure the tread face run flat and true. If the tire comes apart on the road, the tire and rim are one thing, but the wheel well and side shirting damage to trailer is also costly. Also in my trailer the slide mechanism and wiring loom etc. are all there as well. The resulting damage could be very costly.

Cheers, Tim
13 REPLIES 13

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is all great info. I can't say enough good about Goodyear Endurance tires. I've had the same issues with separation using Chinese tires. Look good and fly apart. I understand Maxxis make their own tires in their own factory with their own people and quality control system. But, I'm staying with Goodyear Endurance. And I totally agree with dumping the tires after 5 to 6 years. The cost of repairs on the trailer from "tread exit" will be far more than the $750.00 it cost me for 4 new 225/75r-15 tires.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Timbob11
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who commented, Yes looking back I should have replaced the 4th and spare at the same time. But as mentioned. The previous owner had replaced that one all ready. (But not with GY, But another Chinesse tire, "Goodride ST")

And no, The Goodyear Endurance did not fail. The remaining original China tire did. I was fortunate to notice the issue ahead of time and change them before I had a "China Bomb". All tires are new GoodYear"s including spare and hopefully no issues for the foreseeable future.

Happy Camping everyone. We just had a bobble in our plans this week as our next camp ground closed due to forest fires. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Tim

Not applicable
It hasn't been mentioned here but when buying new tires ensure that the date codes are newest as possible. Doesn't matter if sitting in a warehouse 2 years never seeing the light of day.

Just say'n

Normy
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
By 2013 the China bomb tire scare was on, so I decided to stick with my China bombs as they were performing well and were perfectly serviceable.

:? ST China bombs were the big topic on this web and all types of trailering websites when I joined this web in '03.

The OP is preaching to the choir on this subject as its been beatin' to death the last 15-18 years.
Lots of old tech 65 mph ST maypops still left in the system. I just saw a truck load (28' moving van) of Mile Maker ST tire at a farm and ranch store.....dot dates ran in the 2014-2015 range.

Times finally changed and several ST tire makers have done their homework no thanks to NHTSA tire complaints website. It took them long enough but now those that use ST tires have a better tire.

6-7 years for a ST tire ??
per Carlisle Tire and Rubber....
Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
โ€“ 3 to 5 years is the average life expectancy of a trailer tire,regardless of mileage.
โ€“ It is estimated that in approximately three years, roughly one-third of a tire's strength is gone
โ€“ After three years, depending upon storage and conditions of usage, consider replacing trailer tires even if they have tread depth remaining.

โ€“ After five years, trailer tires should be replaced in all cases

Yep Yep.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
By 2013 the China bomb tire scare was on, so I decided to stick with my China bombs as they were performing well and were perfectly serviceable.

:? ST China bombs were the big topic on this web and all types of trailering websites when I joined this web in '03.

The OP is preaching to the choir on this subject as its been beatin' to death the last 15-18 years.
Lots of old tech 65 mph ST maypops still left in the system. I just saw a truck load (28' moving van) of Mile Maker ST tire at a farm and ranch store.....dot dates ran in the 2014-2015 range.

Times finally changed and several ST tire makers have done their homework no thanks to NHTSA tire complaints website. It took them long enough but now those that use ST tires have a better tire.

6-7 years for a ST tire ??
per Carlisle Tire and Rubber....
Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
โ€“ 3 to 5 years is the average life expectancy of a trailer tire,regardless of mileage.
โ€“ It is estimated that in approximately three years, roughly one-third of a tire's strength is gone
โ€“ After three years, depending upon storage and conditions of usage, consider replacing trailer tires even if they have tread depth remaining.

โ€“ After five years, trailer tires should be replaced in all cases
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all four of my tires last year as a preventative measure. They had at least 4-5 years on the tires, never had an issue but had experienced a blowout with a different trailer (not a fun day).

David
David

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
How the tires are used and stored is going to dictate when they should be replaced versus a particular number of years.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally. Waiting 6 years is too long. Every tire I had fail was in it's 4th year. So for me. From now on. They are coming off after 3 years. Yes it's pricey. But less so than sitting on the side of the road changing tires in 100 degree heat.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 3 year old TT in late 2013. I had no idea how many mile we on it. The tires look okay and had plenty of tread.

I put 20,000 miles on and in 2016 the manufactured date code showed they were going into their seventh year. Like the OP indicated, though the tread was fine I decided to replace then because of age.

By 2016 the China bombs had pretty much flushed through the RV system. So I decided to try "D" rated tires. They are okay but give a harsher ride.

It is hard to look as a perfectly good tire and replace it because of age but given the amount and distances we travel, changing tires every 5 to 7 years as recommended by the tire manufacturers was an ounce of prevention so to speak.

I still have the old tires for farm trailer use.

Today the tire makers have address the need for faster, more durable TT tires, so the consumer can opt for a premium tire if they so choose.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
"Why would you replace 3 of 4 tires? That's asking for trouble."

Because the 4th one had been previously replaced.

I had a similar experience while in Utah several years back. After the first tire failed, they all began to fail in short order. Replaced them all on that trip.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you replace 3 of 4 tires? That's asking for trouble.

Vinman02
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2006 Arctic Fox TT and it still had the original tires, zero sidewall cracking and at least 80% tread remaining. I actually didnโ€™t believe the previous owner when he told me they were original until I checked the date of manufacture, sure enough, July of 2005.
I took the trailer for one camping trip a couple of hours away before replacing the original 15โ€ tires and wheels with new 16โ€ Cooper Discoverer LT tires on aluminum rims.

The thought of running on those original tires terrified me.
2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Cummins
2016 Arctic Fox 25Y
Honda EU3000i

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'm not sure I understood; Did the GY Endurance tires fail as well?