cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer Tires

Ruthless
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to replace my Goodyear Marathon tires. What travel trailer tires do you use, and how do you like them?
26 REPLIES 26

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
I've been on this site for many years. I've seen a lot of advice. Some good and some not so good. However, there are two contributors to whom you should always listen. One is John Barca and the other is JIMNLIN.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My Maxxis dealer pushes Maxxis Bravo UE-168 commercial tires in a few 14" sizes from 1875 up to 2271 lbs capacity/D load range for customers trailers. These come with a Euro 225/70-15"C designation. C = commercial use = trucks/vans/cars/trailers.

Same with 15" sizes with 3 load range D tires ....
215/70-15C"...2271 lbs
225/70-15C"...2469 lbs
235/70-15C"...2335 lbs

Of course as most folks know the LT doesn't come in all sizes as ST tires nor will the same size LT have the same capacity as a ST tire.

OP never gave his tire size/load range so he may need a 14"/15"/16"/17.5" size tire with a P or C/D/E/F/G/H load range.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a perfect experience with Maxxis 8008 tires so far. I ran my last set 9 years (not recommended) and put on a new set last year. Not a single issue. I always run them at the max. of 65 psi.

Here's the caveat, though. We take 3 trips per year of 3-1/2 to 5 hours each way. The rest are local trips. So our annual mileage is piddlysquat compared to many of you. There's a lot less chance for me to have problems.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
C.B. wrote:
NMDriver2 wrote:
Go with LT tires.

Good advice!

34' FR Cherokee Michelen LT XPS Ribs.

C.B.

so just what 15" LRE LT tire would you recomend? or even a LRD
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver2 wrote:
Go with LT tires.

Good advice!

34' FR Cherokee Michelen LT XPS Ribs.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that even being more expensive Goodyear Endurance is still subject to the 5 year failure problem. Just pulled off one date coded 3618 with a belt shift. Luckily I found it at home and not on the highway.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
NMDriver2 wrote:
Go with LT tires.

16" rims good option.

15" rims show me a LRd let alone LRE 15" LT tire

they are very rare, not really a viable option.

Do what I did. Do whatever it takes to get 16" rims. Then you have a HUGH number of quality tires to choose from. When I made the jump in 2006, My 2001 Wilderness needed 6 lug drums and 1" lift blocks. I was able to sell my takeoffs fast on craigs list to defray some of the cost. It was well worth it. And since I dumped ST tires I have not had a single tire issue. It's actually saved me money , not to mention problem free trips. I no longer give my tires much thought...They just work.. Much like the tires on my automobiles...I can TRUST them.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver2 wrote:
Go with LT tires.

16" rims good option.

15" rims show me a LRd let alone LRE 15" LT tire

they are very rare, not really a viable option.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Carlisle tires, 60 psi, 38,000 miles, no issues. 6,500 lb trailer on CAT scale. Tow at 55 to 60 mph.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Go with LT tires.
Turret Class traveler

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
After 5 1/2 years and over 24,000 miles of trouble free towing, my Kenda Karrier tires all started separating at the same time. I would have been happy with replacing them with more Kenda tires, or Carlisle or Goodyear Endurance but the only one of those 3 brands the local Discount Tire had in stock was the Goodyear. I'm hoping for another 5 year problem free run with these Goodyear tires.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
I have two trailers both with Goodyear Endurance tires that are over 2 years old. I just had my first tire issue last week when one of the tires picked up a 2" long drywall screw. Otherwise, they've been completely trouble free.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
LOL, makes me feel better to find out it's for my own good!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to love the reason they do not have much tread. "shallow tread for cooler running" LOL:B
I kidd you not. Of course it is also cheaper to produce.
I have a low opinion of ST tires having owned more than I care to remember. Another goodyear blast from the past quote: "fewer sidewall cords for better heat disapation" Do you see a trend?
They are like a politicion spinning a negative into a positive.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW