cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling with roof vents open...good or bad idea?

Griz14
Explorer
Explorer
I always close my trailer windows when traveling but leave the roof vents open a little. I was wondering if maybe I shouldn't be doing that.
24 REPLIES 24

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Our vent cranks open at an angle. When it was open, rain could fall inside.

I added a vent cover, so now it makes no difference.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Griz14
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
I let ours open just a crack. I do have vent covers, but it makes enough negative pressure that it pulls sewer gas in from somewhere if they're open too far. I guess it it pulls it through the vent under the sink but I haven't been able to verify it. Also, when it rains, it pulls water off the tires in through the cracks around the slide and makes the carpet wet. I have verified several times this is happening, so I travel with the vents almost completely closed.

I too have been traveling with the roof vents cracked open just a little and all side windows closed. I do have vent covers. I think in the future I am going to try closing everything up and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks everyone for their inputs.

Griz14

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I let ours open just a crack. I do have vent covers, but it makes enough negative pressure that it pulls sewer gas in from somewhere if they're open too far. I guess it it pulls it through the vent under the sink but I haven't been able to verify it. Also, when it rains, it pulls water off the tires in through the cracks around the slide and makes the carpet wet. I have verified several times this is happening, so I travel with the vents almost completely closed.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
We have the covers on both vents, but close the vents whilst underway. This prevents dust, dirt, pollen, etc from entering the camper.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a window in the back NEVER travel with it open! Have you checked how dirty the back of your RV gets? You don't want that dirt coming in thru the window.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first few trips, I tried travelling with the roof vents open, but under one of the vent covers. I ended up with small trash/grit on the surfaces just below the vents. I had to vacuum the bed, toilet, and dinette after arriving at the campsite every time. I have not traveled with those vents open in 10 years and never had the grit to clean up.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
My roof vents, covered with an aftermarket cover, stay open 24/7 whether stationary or traveling down the road. ๐Ÿ™‚ Been that way for almost 15 years on our present trailer.
Barney

ditto, we close them during the snow season, thats it
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I don't think it makes any difference open or closed. But open does provide more vulnerability. Suppose a 20 pound turkey-buzzard flies directly over your camper at the exact same time and spot you have your vent open? Ker-splash! There goes the turkey buzzard and the vent cover! If the cover was closed, the stupid buzzard would have made it across without getting hit! Think of the poor buzzard! Leaving that vent open is putting him in danger! :B

(I think you get the idea).

But what if the open cover deflects the buzzard and prevents it from taking out your more expensive A/C. Just saying.:)
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Always closed.
Have tried traveling with vents or windows open and always ended up wit a lot of dust in the rig.
RV seems to stay cooler all closed up as well.

This.

You will get dust in, even on a paved road.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I close mine when traveling.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
samsontdog wrote:
The one time I left my vent cover open {with out vent cover} the wind whipped it off plus it was raining. I happened to see the cover blow down the road { 10 miles from home} recovered it and used duct tape to tape it back down. I have vent covers on all RVs since then. I leave open yr around , no covers I would keep tightly closed when traveling

X2.

Open vents without a cover are waiting to be ripped off by the wind. If not that, then the wind will put pressure on the lid and break the open/close mechanism.

If you want to have them open while driving, get the covers. Cheap and effective.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

HuckFinn410
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
My roof vents, covered with an aftermarket cover, stay open 24/7 whether stationary or traveling down the road. ๐Ÿ™‚ Been that way for almost 15 years on our present trailer.
Barney

Same for me. With vent covers, my vents have been open 24/7/365 for many years with zero issues.
Homesick for a place that I've never been

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stay cracked a bit when on the road or driving in the woods. I leave a side window cracked as well. No vent covers on mine at all.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
With vent covers for protection, I usually travel with closed vents if there is any dust in the air.

x2

vent covers are an affordable, easy, upgrade mod.