Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Advice

hobb
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

I'm new to campers, but i got me a 1968 Travel queen. Beutiful and made of heavy wood.

I havvnt got a truck yet for it. But I know I'll need an 8ft bed.

Is there any advice for getting the right truck you out there?
7 REPLIES 7

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I have been where your with your TC. I have a 1988, 4000 lb TC I had on my modified 2500 Dodge SRW for over twelve years. I recently purchased a 2004 Dodge 3500 DRW for its creature comforts.

There are many modifications that can be made to a given truck to improve its handling weight over its rated capacity. You will have to decide if you want to be absolutely under the manufactures rated capacity or would be comfortable making modifications to improve its handling weight over its rated capacity. The second issue is the fit of your older TC on newer trucks. My suggestion is to start two different threads.

One on the subject of load capacity and modifications to improve/change handling characteristics. You will need to know the weight of your TC, its length and if you intend to pull a trailer. Be prepared for a heated discussion. I also suggest you do a search on this Forum.

When you consider the fit of your older TC on newer trucks, the typical issues are:

1 location of the Tie Downs
2 Wiring harness. Where does the TC connect to the truck.
3 TC overhang height, compared to truck side rails (truck rails taper)
4 Bottom of TC to underside of TC cabover, compared to truck bed to top of truck
cab plus 2 inches (4" preferred, TC can be raised with mats or platform)
5 Widest width of TC below overhang compared to opening at tailgate and distance
between wheel wells.
There may be other considerations, but these are the most typical.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"one of those boxy trucks with 16" high sides, ~52" between the wheel wells, and a wide square opening at the tailgate"

Those were the days! My '78 4x4 Chevy 3/4 Cheyenne...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The biggest issue you are going to have is fitting the camper in the bed. Truck beds were basically all the same size from the mid 1960's all the way until 1987. Then the manufacturers started messing with bed size, and haven't stopped. Every few years they change the size of the bed, making it deeper and narrower. Narrower both between the wheel wells, and at the tailgate opening.

Your 1968 camper is likely designed to fit in one of those boxy trucks with 16" high sides, ~52" between the wheel wells, and a wide square opening at the tailgate. It will need to be put on a platform to clear the 22"+ high sides on modern trucks, and the taller cab. It may need to be modified heavily to fit in the rear bed opening.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest mistake most folks make is not buying enough truck. Too many buy marginal or undersized vehicles because they look at the wrong specs. Buy your truck to handle the absolute maximum weight your load might weigh. That might mean a dually. Or it might mean a 1500. But getting it right the first time can save a lot of aggrivation in the future.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Any idea on weight?

Are you looking for new truck or used truck? Makes a difference as payload has increased significantly the last few model changes.

Without knowing either, my recommendation as probable best fit will be a Ram 1-ton SRW. The bed shape and cab height are the closest to the old trucks made back in the late 60s so fit would probably be easiest. The SRW has a 4,300 payload capacity. If you need more payload, go to a DRW Ram though it has slightly smaller tailgate opening which may or may not be a problem.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
There is lots to consider. Some trucks have tall cabs and you would have to put a lift under your camper. Some trucks have narrower tail gates, and if your camper has any wider part that rests behind the wheel well, it might not fit into the box at all.

So, get out and measure and learn by searching on here about the solutions people have used.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pickup truck design is extremely inefficient. A "three quarter ton" pickup can easily weigh 7000 to 8000 pounds empty and might only be rated to carry an addition 2000 to 3000 pounds. Simple campers without slides can easily weight over 4000 pounds loaded with water and supplies. Most campers are going to require at least a 1 ton pickup. Even then modifications such as HD shocks, sway bars and airbags might be needed. I think everyone who owns a camper will recommend buying more truck than you think you need.