cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper - Location CB and Satellite Radio antennas?

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
Need help on two issues:

1. Would like to install CB in TC but not sure where to place antenna?

2. I only listen to Sat radio. And have lot of poor reception due to the TC on top blocking signal, specially while driving. Any suggestion!

TY

Carlos
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife
7 REPLIES 7

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
KE6IRJ wrote:
For the CB, consider a hood mount. This is what I have used for years and love them.
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/mobile-antenna-mounts-264/fender-bracket-mounts-268/vehicle-sp...
The problem with a hood mount and TC is that you have a huge RF blind spot that covers almost a third of the antenna's propagation pattern. Works good towards front and along the side it's mounted on but not so good towards the rear and opposite side.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
You could buy extra antennas to mount on the roof of the TC for best reception/transmission and then pick up some longer antenna cables to connect them to the truck. Disconnect truck mounted CB/Sat cables from radios and connect the longer ones from the TC. Just another couple of connections to make when loading the TC.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

KE6IRJ
Explorer
Explorer
For the CB, consider a hood mount. This is what I have used for years and love them.
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/mobile-antenna-mounts-264/fender-bracket-mounts-268/vehicle-sp...
Brian
2010 Keystone Springdale SG294BHSSR
2006 Ford F250 Superduty SB 4x4

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:
The Sirius antenna has been discussed on the Ford truck forum a bit. It seems that on the newer ones, if you have the navi system, it is a combo GPS/Sirius. These can be had aftermarket, but you have to know what to look for and what connector is being used, there are a bunch of them. The conclusion I have come to (same problem) is to buy the OEM antenna and mount it in the plastic cowling just ahead of the windshield. There is supposed to be a connector in the drivers kick panel, since the OEM install has the wires running up the drivers side A pillar. I haven't done this yet but others have. It's on the list.

Thanks for the info...I have a 2014 F450 w/ nav and sat, do you think if I take it to the dealer they would install the aftermarket sat antenna?
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Patient wife

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
The Sirius antenna has been discussed on the Ford truck forum a bit. It seems that on the newer ones, if you have the navi system, it is a combo GPS/Sirius. These can be had aftermarket, but you have to know what to look for and what connector is being used, there are a bunch of them. The conclusion I have come to (same problem) is to buy the OEM antenna and mount it in the plastic cowling just ahead of the windshield. There is supposed to be a connector in the drivers kick panel, since the OEM install has the wires running up the drivers side A pillar. I haven't done this yet but others have. It's on the list.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
You want the CB antenna on the camper? To use while stationery? A CB antenna designed for a boat or any antenna designated as not needing a ground plane would be best. Your camper probably has an aluminum frame but I'll be the sides are wood/fiberglass and the roof is rubber. There's not much there to act as a ground plane for the antenna. You'd be better off installing it on the truck or using a stationary base station antenna.
As for the sat. radio you need to relocate the antenna. I have mine installed on the hood of the truck, at the center near the windshield. It works pretty well unless I go under a bridge while heading north. Then there's a brief drop in the signal.
You should be able to find an aftermarket antenna. You'll have to locate where the factory one is, unplug it, and connect the new one mounted in the clear.

Thank you for your input. I actually want to use the CB while driving and in the TC. Installing in the camper seem more difficult because of what you just explained regarding plane. Not sure how to do both!

Your idea of disconnecting the oem sat antenna and plugin a new one in a different location is a good one. Got to look into how Ford's sat antenna is wired.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Patient wife

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You want the CB antenna on the camper? To use while stationery? A CB antenna designed for a boat or any antenna designated as not needing a ground plane would be best. Your camper probably has an aluminum frame but I'll be the sides are wood/fiberglass and the roof is rubber. There's not much there to act as a ground plane for the antenna. You'd be better off installing it on the truck or using a stationary base station antenna.
As for the sat. radio you need to relocate the antenna. I have mine installed on the hood of the truck, at the center near the windshield. It works pretty well unless I go under a bridge while heading north. Then there's a brief drop in the signal.
You should be able to find an aftermarket antenna. You'll have to locate where the factory one is, unplug it, and connect the new one mounted in the clear.