cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck/Camper plug

650cent
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, this is my first post I believe, been lurking here for a long time though.
Went to tow my boat for the first time last weekend and discovered that the camper plug and trailer plug would not plug in at the same time, its one or the other. The truck is a '09 F350.
Is there a work around to be able to plug both in, maybe take the plug covers off. One of the plugs is round and the other is a 4 prong flat.

Bill
11 REPLIES 11

650cent
Explorer
Explorer
Jaxom wrote:
You could likely drive out the cover hinge pin on the 4-way flat connector. Get a cover for a 4-way pigtail to cover it when not in use. Save the hinge pin, spring and cover to put back to stock when you need to.

Sounds like a good fix. I did drive out the cover hinge pin and was thinking about replacing it with a duplex nail so I could pull it easily and remove the cover.

Bill

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
You could likely drive out the cover hinge pin on the 4-way flat connector. Get a cover for a 4-way pigtail to cover it when not in use. Save the hinge pin, spring and cover to put back to stock when you need to.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

650cent
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I'm guessing you are saying the trailer plug doors keep you from plugging two plugs in at the same time

I notice alot of TRUCK CAMPERS have a 7-way plug installed in the bed of their truck which makes it easier to plug into the camper. Don't know if this idea would help your plug restrictions or not... I think these kits are available from ETRAILER.com

This is exactly what I have. The doors are made so that both plugs cannot be used at the same time. I have been looking for a right angle 4-pin adapter that I think would solve the issue, but cannot find one. I would like to keep things stock if possible

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
My seven pin round plug (on the camper) was connected inside a junction box. I opened the junction box and hooked up a four flat plug on the camper. Now the TC has a seven pin to plug into the truck, and, the camper has a four flat for plugging in a utility / boat trailer.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same connector on my ford and needed 2 7 pin connectors, just bought some wire and connectors and made my own y cable, works like a charm and no extra plugs in the bed.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might have been a Pollack brand which carries alot of trailer connectors...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have an adapter that plugs into a 7-pin, has a 7-pin output, a 4/5 pin output, and two 12V outputs.

I think the brand is "Pilot" but I can't find it for sale anywhere now.

Your plug isn't designed so that both can be used at the same time. It probably never occurred to the designers that someone may want to use both. To them it's a trailer plug, and you can't tow two trailers.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm guessing you are saying the trailer plug doors keep you from plugging two plugs in at the same time

I notice alot of TRUCK CAMPERS have a 7-way plug installed in the bed of their truck which makes it easier to plug into the camper. Don't know if this idea would help your plug restrictions or not... I think these kits are available from ETRAILER.com

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
650cent wrote:
The camper has the 7-pin round plug and the boat trailer has the 4-pin flat plug. The problem is with the camper plugged in the door to the trailer receptacle will not open fully, and the same if the trailer is plugged in the camper plug cannot be plugged in.

Bill

Could you post a picture of what your problem is, it may help us who aren't getting what your tiring to do.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

650cent
Explorer
Explorer
The camper has the 7-pin round plug and the boat trailer has the 4-pin flat plug. The problem is with the camper plugged in the door to the trailer receptacle will not open fully, and the same if the trailer is plugged in the camper plug cannot be plugged in.

Bill

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Just so I understand a little better. The trailer has a seven pin round connector, and the camper has a four way flat connector? Your truck has a socket for both, but due to the size of the two plugs, they will not fit? If this is the case, can you carefully modify one or both of the plugs by shaving off some rubber so they'll fit?
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)