cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

truck camper sitting in a wet truck bed

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
Just a maybe stupid question: My Arctic Fox 1150 sits on a rubber mat, maybe a half inch thick in the bed of my 4500 dually.
The bed has an industrial finish bed liner, so it's virtually water tight.
It does drain, but not always completely. Should I be worried about the truck camper bottom being slightly wet?
I often wonder while driving through heavy rains also.
I mean, it's not like it's sitting in 3 inches of water, but more about residual moisture and occasionally a maybe a 1/4 inch of water until it drains/dries.

Thanks for any and all advice.
12 REPLIES 12

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The thin luan on the bottom of AF camper is held in place with small screws. Seal up the dimples made by the screws to keep water from penetrating the wood.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditto. Those drains can clog up in a sprayed bed. Pine pollen works real good at clogging them up.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree kohldad...I think the OP should double check the drains to make sure there are no obstrctions. One other thing..When not in use level it sligtly higher in the front so any moisture can drain out the back. Just my $.02

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
You could always install a sump pump ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
On both of my last two trucks, after the bed liner was sprayed in, I took a large screw driver in the drain slots and pried them open so they were larger. This allows the water to drain faster.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP's truck is sitting on a dually flatbed. Different situation than a pickup bed.
Bottom line though, it's not really a question anyway. If it holds water, drill a couple holes in the appropriate spot.
If the bottom of the camper stays wet and continues to soak up moisture, it will rot. If it's above high water on the mat, then it's not a concern, however the OP has to decide that....but it's just too easy to put a couple drain holes in the bad and be done with it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
I would question why water is even getting in there in the first place with the camper in the bed. Even running in the heaviest rain my little Palomino keeps the bed covered and dry. Your big Arctic Fox is a bunch wider and longer.

You might have an internal tank leaking out into the bed.

I Agree, This is what I was thinking. Mine sits in the bed almost year round in central Florida where it pretty much rains everyday and it's dry. It's dry going down the road as well as I driven through many a rain storms and took the camper off to a dry bed. Many members use the available space for storage under the wings because it's dry. Of course with all that said it could be different with other camper manufacturers. JMHO
Joe

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would question why water is even getting in there in the first place with the camper in the bed. Even running in the heaviest rain my little Palomino keeps the bed covered and dry. Your big Arctic Fox is a bunch wider and longer.

You might have an internal tank leaking out into the bed.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
My truck has a liner and drain holes in the front corners of the bed. Anyway, no water ever gets into this area. My camper overhangs the sides of the truck bed rails by several inches and the gap between the camper and rails is only a couple of inches.

I store extra boots, clothing and paper goods between the camper and the truck. No water or dampness ever in years of doing this.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itโ€™s only a problem if the water is deeper than your bed mat.
But Iโ€™d do Iike bedlam said and eliminate the issue completely.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
Pickup beds have drains in the corners to prevent this. you may want to do the same in your sealed tub.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
i dont think its a problem. it prob dries in 24 hours.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride