cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Campers Ain't For Everyone

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was in a large truck camper dealer last week and noticed a brand new (looking) 11' 6" TC on their lot marked "Used". He told me someone had bought it two weeks before, keep it 9 days and returned it for a 5th wheel.

Brad
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos
39 REPLIES 39

ffemtreed
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
I was going off of Adventurer buyers guide by Truck Camper Magazine which I believe is more accurate..This is the lightest 8' w/slide that I know of but without popular options.

*Adventurer 86SBS: dry weight, 2,977 pounds + 38 gallons fresh, 316.9 pounds + 6 gallon full hot water heater, 50 pounds + 2x 20-pound full propane tanks, 40 pounds + 2x batteries, 130 pounds + stuff, 500 pounds = 4,013.9 pounds

It already has 500 pounds of stuff but no AC etc.

I just purchased an 2018 Adventurer 80s that only weights 2200lbs dry. Has everything I need such as slide out, AC , WetBath, fridge.

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
silversand wrote:
Talking about buying on impulse?
But how much off MSRP the 9-days used cost?

....do "truck campers" have to be registered and titled in the state where that 9 day purchase was made ?

I know in Tn, I never registered my 2006 Okanagan 811-SL. (Paid cash at the dealer out of state. Saved on sales tax also.) Was told I did not have do it.As it did not have to have its own tag. Used it until 2012. Sold it with the open title. And bought a 11 day used HeartLand LandMark Key Largo. Guys wife did not like it. They had it 9 months. Was used one week, then the second trip of 4 days.
Was inside a climate controlled building the rest of the time. Love the room, love the camper. Hate the room and hate the camper.:(

Want my Truck camper back again..
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
We got our rig from someone who took it out three times and the wife vetoed the TC. My wife had been looking at truck campers on craigslist for years and pulled the trigger quickly when she saw it.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
It wasn't me...

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
As usual the subject got sidetracked by side observation and not staying on the main subject.
Registration, or not, no state require registration in less than 9 days, so very unlikely that even in the state where the TC registration is required, the camper in question was registered.
Meaning dealer could "work out" putting it back on lot as new.
Why he did otherwise? Do the math.

Pretty big assumption there. All new vehicles get a temporary when you leave the lot. These days I'm pretty sure the registration is submitted electronically and within hours if not a day or 2. At least in Oregon thatโ€™s how it goes.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
As usual the subject got sidetracked by side observation and not staying on the main subject.
Registration, or not, no state require registration in less than 9 days, so very unlikely that even in the state where the TC registration is required, the camper in question was registered.
Meaning dealer could "work out" putting it back on lot as new.
Why he did otherwise? Do the math.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
I don't think so.

.....thanks Brad.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Bedlam
Kayteg1 wrote:
Only few states require TC registration and none on West Coast.

Only one of three states on the west coast do NOT require registering your TC.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good observations by jaycocreek. I agree.

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
Washington requires you to license and register a truck camper.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer

Idaho isn't on the coast but they do require it after a certain year.I bought mine in Montana and they have something a little different.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That is why my first tough was that whole advertisement is simply publicity stunt.
Not knowing the actual pricing it is speculation, but new TC sell 30% off retail pricing, so on $50k camper you can expect $15k discount.
OP indicated that the "used" camper is advertised with $9k discount.
You do the math.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
silversand wrote:

....do "truck campers" have to be registered and titled in the state where that 9 day purchase was made ?

I don't think so.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

silversand
Explorer
Explorer

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou