cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Caps

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to get a few ideas here....perhaps not strictly on point for tow vehicles, but kinda'

Any thoughts on truck caps/Toppers? What's worked? What doesn't work?

I'm wanting to get a topper for my new F250 but also want to put a real ladder rack on / around it. Don't want to pick the wrong combo.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN
19 REPLIES 19

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Since having the 5th wheel I use a roll-up tonneau cover for the summer and a topper for the winter. To make taking off and putting the topper on easier I made a cart that is the same height as the truck bed rails. Then I can do both on and off by myself by using 2 or 3 pieces of 1/2" or 3/4" pipe set under the topper and simply roll it on or off that way. Beats the heck out of getting enough help to lift it off

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
I had an A.R.E Contractor Cap with an AluRack ladder rack on top. I loved it.

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Bedlam
I also had a commercial truck cap on my Ford. I preferred the smooth aluminum skin over corrugated or fiberglass. It was light enough that I could climb into the truck bed and lift it up with my back myself. It took two people without any special tools or strength to move it only because the of size although I had taken it on and off myself by carrying it on my back just using a short ladder to reach the truck bed.

Mine had side doors and full height double rear doors which made access to items much easier than a typical canopy. I purposely did not have the tool boxes in the side doors so forward bed access was easy.

I chose a cab high model that kept the overall height under 7' which allowed me to fit in some parking garages and and just squeeze in to my garage. If this was not a concern, I would have chosen a wedge model for more interior height.

https://www.centurycaps.com/dcu

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I have an ARE "high cap" (my term) topper on my truck. It has full length side windows on both sides that are top hinged, so they lift out of the way to access the bed. I can get up into the bed and walk, head bowed down, in it. I mostly love it so far, and it has been 8 years with it.

The only issue I had with it was very poor customer service from ARE - the locking bars for the rear window were barely long enough, and when going over bumps a little bit of jostling was enough for the rear window to come loose and open up. The dealer I bought it from paid for long enough locking bars and replaced them... according to the dealer, ARE said they knew about the issue, but it was so rare that they just offered a kit with longer bars - that the customer had to buy!! Maybe, hopefully, ARE's customer service policy has changed from back then.

The biggest issue that I see with truck caps is people getting the "roof height" caps. Then many people take them off in less than a year and put them up on blocks behind their house. Those "low caps" make it very difficult to get to all parts of the bed. A "high cap", although may not be sleek, allows you to get into the bed. Some people add "bed sliders" with low caps... where a sliding shelf is basically the bed of the truck. You can get to stuff, but expensive.

Ladder mounts - similar to what has been said, be sure of what you want. The mounts that just bolt to the cap are usually VERY lightweight due to potential damage to the cap - you don't want to be stacking stuff on those, but a single ladder or kayak should be fine. The heavy duty racks that wrap around and attach to the bed of the truck are great and heavy duty, but depending on the cap design you may run into issues -- with my particular cap, the rack might block my side windows from opening depending on the model.

You have an amazing amount of options for caps, especially if you are buying new. And... if you haven't looked before, you may be surprised at how expensive they can be when new.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've had both caps and covers.

The covers seem to last about 2-3yrs and then need to be replaced as they wear out.

Caps, I prefer the aluminum ones. They may not look as pretty but in a pinch, I could remove it by myself or do it easy with 1 other person (don't have to be particularly strong either). Had a fiberglass that I hated because it took at least 3 people to lift on and off.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.highwayproducts.com/c/truck-bed-storage/p/pickup-pack-pro/ I have a version of this with the domed top from front to back, with headache rack but no ladder rack. Blacked out. Pretty outstanding. Super secure, it would take horde of crackheads all night to break into it. It you don't need the height of a typical topper, this is a pretty outstanding option. They are not cheap, but you get your money's worth.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Several of the tradesman model toppers offer a roof rack to carry a ladder or canoe. I personally don't care for them but if they fit a need who I'm I to judge. The last truck I bought had a aluminum trades model topper that I took off and sold for $300. to get rid of it.

When I was younger all I liked was tonneau covers that worked well and didn't interfere with visibility or hauling large items.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
colliehauler wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Just don’t get the type that hang over the top lip of the truck bed to look sleeker or the big ladder rack idea is out.
I’d pretty much never get anything other than a cab height matching fiberglass shell.
Too much ugly in all the other options.
Actually I prefer extra height and have a Leer fiberglass 122 model. The extra height allows me to carry a motorcycle. When pulling the trailer only get bugs on the very top portion of the trailer.

I had a Leer 122 on my previous Dodge truck as well.

But the OP wants a ladder rack that goes around the topper, I.E. mounts to the bed rails, so tall topper really isn't an option.

They do offer more volume though than a cab height topper.
I don't care for the looks of toppers much at all, but their usefulness in the right situation can't be denied. Usta have a topper for every truck for the dogs and camping gear, but don't need that type of setup anymore.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Softopper.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Softopper, folding cap.
They also have a "Darby Rack" which connects to the hitch.Softopper.com

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the input....there are no 5th wheels in the future and the truck doesn't fit in the garage anyway, so I might look at the higher-profile caps.

Key purpose is to have a somewhat secure space to keep the (portable) truck box with some tools, straps, and breakdown stuff, plus space for fishing gear and camping (i.e. with tents, not "just" RV's) stuff during summers and sno-go gear during the winter.

Previously had a no-name cap on a truck long ago in a galaxy far far away that had the bars on top. Just didn't work out the same as a real rack, so that's a priority as well.

Thanks for the input and the data to consider.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I have soft folding tonneau now which works well, as it's easy to install and remove.

I had fiberglass cab high canopies/toppers on my last two trucks with roof rails that made it easy to add/remove racks for ladders, canoes, etc. That way the trucks still fit in the garage. As long as you have an easy way to load and remove the topper, it's an awesome addition. I miss having one and am looking hard at the ARE brand right now.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Softopper. I don't like caps on trucks - they limit cargo carrying flexibility, I don't like the way they look and they don't play nice with a fifth wheel. But, when you need a cap they're pretty much indispensable. When we go on a family trip without the camper I throw on the Softopper and we've got a huge enclosed cargo area that we pretty much fill.

I don't recall needing so much $hit when I was a kid but mine don't pack light. Multiply that by three and add my wife and dog and that's why we take the truck on those family trips.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Just don’t get the type that hang over the top lip of the truck bed to look sleeker or the big ladder rack idea is out.
I’d pretty much never get anything other than a cab height matching fiberglass shell.
Too much ugly in all the other options.
Actually I prefer extra height and have a Leer fiberglass 122 model. The extra height allows me to carry a motorcycle. When pulling the trailer only get bugs on the very top portion of the trailer.

I had a Leer 122 on my previous Dodge truck as well.