cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck - family of 5 and 65lb dog

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm in the very early stages of considering a truck to get ahead of our next trailer...I'm generally a buy once cry once kind of person so looking at Ram 3500, Ford F350, or GMC 3500. However, in test driving these and looking at the back seat I struggle to see how I'm getting 3 kids and a 65lb dog in there...?

What have other people done who are in the same situation?

(FYI - not interested in a class A)

Thankn you.
59 REPLIES 59

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a couple of the kids to the pound !!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mega is not any bigger in the back seat than any other CC offerings save for the ability to store stuff behind the back seat or recline the seats a bit.
Not a bad choice. Had one for the last dozen years, would get one again, but don't miss the room in the newer crew cab save for storage space.
With 2 kids, mine slept with seats reclined or sprawled out on the floor and seat about 50/50.
With 3 passengers in back or if you're a seatbelt stickler, then the reclining seats are awesome for road trips!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Drew_A_
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,

We did what you want to do for years with a Ram 3500 quadcab. 3 kids in the back seat and it was small! They were fine.

I put a cap on the back of the truck with sliding/opening windows equipped with pet grates. Our 60 lb dog rode back there. I would open the sliding window to the back from the truck and had a wireless thermometer back there to keep track of the temperature. Generally, it did not get too much above ambient while underway.

I do live in the North East, so normally, it's much cooler than Texas though.

-Drew
2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Dog rides in the trailer.

No way. No A/C, no heat, loud and lots of vibration. If yo want to see what goes on a trailer while towing, mount a Go-Pro or your cell phone and hit the road. I think you will be shocked by the ride and noise.

Ken

Hehe. I know what goes on in a trailer. Just after my oldest daughter got her drivers license we were heading out for the weekend with the fiver and I was feeling sleepy. I asked if anyone wanted to drive. My wife said no way but my daughter, on the other hand, jumped at the opportunity. She climbed into the drivers seat and I slept just fine riding in the fiver. (There was one point were I was rudely awakened when we hit some kind of dip in the road that launched me what felt like a couple feet in the air)
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the inputs. I'll likely go look at the megacab, but I did understand the extra room was behind the seats (plus I wouldn't get an 8' bed). As I indicated in my original post not interested in a class A (or C) and getting a 1 ton van or old suburban/expedition doesn't get me the increase in towing I'm looking for, plus no 5th wheel.

As someone commented, it will ultimately come down to where and how I will compromise. I have some time as I'm likely at least a year out...just starting the planning.

Thank you again.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:

Saw two horses in a trailer today. They seemed fine.

OMG! Did you call PETA and report the animal cruelty? LOL

blt2ski
Grit dog wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

No way. No A/C, no heat, loud and lots of vibration. If yo want to see what goes on a trailer while towing, mount a Go-Pro or your cell phone and hit the road. I think you will be shocked by the ride and noise.

Ken

Wasn't too bad the last time I rode in a camper....let's not be too dramatic here.

Saw two horses in a trailer today. They seemed fine.
My malamutes go into their crates with no issues in the trailer vs crates in pickup bed!

Each of our pets DO and WILL let us know if they are happy and comfortable where they are traveling at and in. Putting them in trailers is more common than one thinks.

As someone else mentioned, one needs to compromise on what will or will not work in their individual circumstance.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
Get a class c or class a motor home and tow a minivan. Problem solved.
Jeep and Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IdaD wrote:

Get yourself fixed because a fourth kid really complicates things.

Words to live by, by IdaD!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TXiceman wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

Ken

Wasn't too bad the last time I rode in a camper....let's not be too dramatic here.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is the reason they make the MegaCab.

Isn't the Mega part aft of the rear seats?
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
By early stages you are thinking of purchasing in 2023. You will need to wait that long for prices to settle back down.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I get a sense that the word "compromise" is not part of the vocabulary in this discussion. Unfortunately you will need to learn the definition of the word to find a solution.

Big families are a tiny demographic in the RV industry. You need a vehicle with a massive passenger compartment, a massive cargo capacity, and a massive towing capacity. Unfortunately no such thing exists, so you will have to compromise.

1. Deal with close quarters on the trip. That's a crew cab pickup truck that you will need to compromise on, if you insist that you need that 12,000lb bunkhouse travel trailer or the 40' 5th wheel.
2. Deal with close quarters at the destination. That's the smaller, lighter travel trailer you will need to compromise with a tow vehicle with more passenger space such as a 3-row SUV or even a 1-ton van.
3. Deal with not traveling together. Get the pickup to tow the trailer without regard for passenger capacity, and have one parent bring the trailer, while the other drives the family's daily driver with the kids and dog.

There just doesn't exist a tow vehicle with the capacity for a big family and a big trailer. A 1 ton van is as close as you're going to get these days, but tow capacity is limited to about 10,000lbs, diesel is not an option, and you then get to drive a full size van around all the time.

Someone will inevitably recommend the Ford Excursion. The last one of those was built in 2005, making it 16 years old. Low mileage barn find creampuffs are far and few between.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is the reason they make the MegaCab.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot