cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck mounted air compressor

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I plan to install air bags. I also plan to install a pump kit for remote adjustment. Would it be wise to consider adding a system that allows filling the truck tires or trailer tires as well? Or just get a separate system for filling tires?
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)
25 REPLIES 25

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
A frame mounted compressor with cockpit controls would be the height of convenience, but it's expensive and not maintenance free. An alternative I've been using is this Milwaukee portable compressor compressor. Don't laugh - it actually works pretty well! With a medium sized battery, it will inflate your airbags all season. You set the pressure you want and it automatically stops at that pressure. 100 lbs is no problem. It will inflate a truck tire from flat, maybe two on a charge, and will easily top them all up. It isn't going to run any air tools for sure.

I've been carrying one to top up and adjust my air suspension (not air bags), while I procrastinate putting on the frame mounted compressor which I already have purchased. The Milwaukee is easy enough it's allowed me to procrastinate for a couple of years now. It is small, light, does bike tires and soccer balls too. $69 at Home Depot for the tool only (if you already have Milwaukee batteries).
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the horn idea...next mod for me?....maybee? I have seen those youtube vids with the train horns ...so funny!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I will installing on board air on our 2016 Ram not for bags, but just to have on board air! Got it with the PacBrake for 2001 Ram, and miss it already! That and semi air horns.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never had an issue with overheating...it has about a 1/4 inch of clearance and does not touch the carpet. It does not run that long to really even get that hot...if it did, something would have been done already but good point. I don't stow anything really that close to it and no odors either.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
KKeller,

The cylinder head looks very close to the carpet. No odors of burning carpet yet? Suggest covering it in a way so that stored items don't block cooling and intake air.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II

Here is my set up. I highly advise you mount your compressor internally. The tiny filter will clog in no time mounting it outside of the cab, the air is just to dirty and dusty. Mine lives underneath the back seat cargo area. The system has a schrader valve you mount to the frame so you can hook up the coil hose to fill air into anything from tires to rubber rafts. The on demand air controller to your air bags is the bomb...air adjustments on the fly is fantastic. One other note is that your airbag brackets be planned out very carefully. They are not just bolt on and go. Many measurements have to be done loaded and unloaded or you will bottom them out so be prepared for some cut and re-welding work... Mine have been modified on the lower brackets to allow for the huge amount of travel the Dodge dually has...they may seem stretched out a bit, but trust me...stock ones out of the box are too tall at least when I did mine. Notice the unloaded and loaded pics, that is a lot of travel up and down. Good luck and you won't regret the upgrade. I hope it works out.

greenno
Explorer
Explorer
When I had the rear locker put in I had them install an air compressor under the hood and plumbed in my air bags and installed a gauge in the cab for ease of operation. Also got a 50' Air line for filling tires after going boon docking and dropping tires down from 65 to 35psi. Getting older and trying to be smarter, subject to who your talking to.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am installing the airbags today and won't have time to get a compressor before picking up our new TC. Lots of good info here so I will review it again once I am ready to pick one. Thank you all for the great replies!
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
It doesnโ€™t matter if the compressor makes some noise. You hardly ever use it. It isnโ€™t something you run every morning unless you have leaks in your plumbing, in which case the solution is fix that.
An air impact big enough for the truck lugs will use more air than the little 12V compressor can keep up with. But the Milwaukee cordless 1//2โ€ impact is awesome for that.
I actually traded up to the 3/4โ€, and it does semi-truck lugs.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using an Extremeoutback compressor for the last 15 years. It has been sitting under the truck the entire time. It is a sealed unit. I have it tucked up under the bed between the frame rail and the bedside so is fairly well protected and I also have a couple pieces of sheet metal to help protect it even more. I originally put it on my 01 then when I got my 17 I moved it over to it. I have a 2.5 gal tank mounted under there as well.

Large high pressure tires use a lot of air to fill them up. As mentioned get one with 100% duty cycle. A small tank will help but not that much. I have a quick connect at my rear bumper so I can reach all my truck tires and trailer tires with one of those coiled hoses. I use the compressor and tank for tires, air horns, filling my fishing float tube or anything else that might need an air source such as blowing out filters out in the field. A good one is not cheap and few will really run an air tool well but there are certainly some that can. Mine while pretty good is not capable of taking my tires off with an impact gun just not enough oomph.

this is the one I use https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/8/ExtremeAire+High+Output+12+Volt+Compressor+Part%23+007-000.html

Whenever it fails I would probably go with this one
https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/14/ExtremeAire+Magnum+12+Volt+Compressor++Part%23+007-222.html

The grandaddy of 12 volt is this one but so is the price
http://aircompressors.oasismfg.com/item/air-compressors/xd4000-continuous-duty-air-compressors/item-1052

An engine mounted one would be the best if you have the space
https://www.cuoffroad.com/product-lines/airboss-components/

Viar makes a good line of compressors as well
https://www.viaircorp.com/oba

I prefer to have 12 volt so I can use it anytime anywhere. If it was just for a motorhome I might feel different but I use my truck for more than just towing the fifth wheel so while I cant say I use my compressor all the time it gets used more often than my home compressor though my home compressor gets used for much longer and higher capacity needs that the 12 volt cant deal with with at all.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I have aired up my airbags with a bicycle pump before, by the way. It took about 30 seconds each. If you want a compressor for high pressure tires, the requirements for air volume are way behind what it takes for the air bags. Still, on board air is definitely very useful if you get a big enough pump.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using this inexpensive Q Industries model MV50 for years here... I can sit it on the tail gate of the truck and connect into the trailer 12V batteries... Great for topping off tires. The long coiled hose will get to the trailer tires and truck tires when sitting on the truck dropped tail gate... This is a TANKLESS type model... I store it under my truck rear seat area...

I would imagine having a tank would be better for airing up tires ...

This probably would not be a good one for your use idea...

This one comes with a nice carry case... Being portable it fits in well with my tent camping trips too... Airs up my lawn mower tires too... All four tires always flat when I want to mow the yard...

Google image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
firemedic1992 wrote:
If you want to fill tires with an onboard compressor you will need one with a high percentage duty cycle. In short, Duty Cycle is the amount of time that a compressor can be run in a full cycle (typically one hour) that includes the compressorโ€™s run time and rest time. Select VIAIR compressors are equipped with a thermal overload protector to protect the unit in case of over duty cycle or high temperature operation.

Have a look at Viair

Well our new to us 2016 TV doesn't have On Board Air, and I miss it already!!
On the 2001 Ram I installed a PacBrake exhaust brake, and it cam with a good 150 psi 12V compressor, used it for Tires, and running my brad drivers.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to filling tires, another advantage to having a good sized air tank as part of the system is that it should let you run an air gun for changing tires if you need to.