cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Question

Robeowens1
Explorer
Explorer
With my budget I am looking at purchasing one of two trucks. My choices are a 6.2 L gas 2017 F-250 with 117,000 miles. It has been regularly serviced and maintained. Or a 6.7 Diesel 2500 Ram with 91,000 miles. Service records are unknown at this point. I will be pulling a travel trailer that weighs just over 7,000lbs fully loaded about 5 to 6 times a year. The rest of my driving is to and from work which is about a total of 5 miles round trip and the usual around town driving. Looking for suggestions?
22 REPLIES 22

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ I can understand your reasoning but it is a little different than mine. The deciding line for me is 1/2 ton vs heavy duty. I’d buy a gasoline powered 1/2 ton if it could meet my towing needs. If a 1/2 ton doesn’t meet my needs the next step for me is 1 ton SRW diesel.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't buy a diesel for what the OP wants to do. I've also towed with a half ton gasser but I outgrew it so darn fast so I would never have less than a 2500. It took me nine years to outgrow my 2500. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
i have a 2017 f250 6.2 gasser with 3.73 rear end bought new. our first TT was 33ft approx 7500lbs loaded to camp. kept it year and half then bought a 38ft TT approx 9500lbs loaded to camp. i have put 37k miles on the truck. probably 1/2 that towing. up and down east coast mountains to the beaches. i have been very happy with it. the biggest advantage over my older f150 that i pulled the first trailer with is heavy duty suspension, etc. huge difference. the f250 pulls it solidly with almost no sway on open highways, plenty of horse power even in mountains. loves gas stations but no getting around that regardless, and maintenance and upkeep is way cheaper than diesel. at the time i bought mine, f250 trucks were priced about the same as the f150's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cekkk wrote:
Is it good for a diesel engine to be started cold and driven 2.5 miles twice a day?

First, you never actually have cold starts in southern Nevada.
Second, it won’t hurt the engine itself one bit. Unless it’s .5miles of subdivision and 2 miles of 90mph on the freeway, 30 seconds later.
Third, it also won’t hurt the emissions unless that’s all you do with the truck. If you actually drive it “normally” enough to let the emissions regen do its thing, then it’s fine.

If all you’re doing is driving 2.5miles with it though, a bicycle or moped would be a much more efficient means of transportation in the sunny desert climate.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Have to ask where and how far are you towing? Diesel will be better in the mountains and will be easier to fill on long trips (truck stops instead of having to fit at the gas pumps). Also how long is the TT, with that weight, I'd still prefer 3/4 ton if over 28', again depending on the tow distance.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on the length of your trailer, you might be OK with the F150 MaxTow Eco. I'm pulling around 7500lbs @ 32' with one, and it works although if I had the purchase to do all over again, I'd hold out for a F250 gasser with a longbed. That extra length and weight make a difference for stability.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
The gasser would definitely do the trick, but in my opinion (and experience), come resale time, the Ram diesel will lay over the gas Ford like a dollar over a dime. Best of luck to you!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
cekkk wrote:
Is it good for a diesel engine to be started cold and driven 2.5 miles twice a day?

Had one and did this. Was hell on the injectors, which were a PITA in a 2001 Duramax.

I'd end up buying a POS at auction for the winter.

Decided to get gas and will stick with gas going forward.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
cekkk wrote:
I wouldn't think so. That doesn't get things up to proper operating temperature. Exhaust pipes are susceptible to condensation and rusting.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Agree, good half ton would do the trick and likely be the best overall solution for the OP, unless "daily" miles is much less than towing miles.

I'll add another viewpoint. If you can buy a comparable diesel (comparable condition, age, appointments), for about the same as a gasser, get the diesel because it's a good deal, or the gasser is overpriced.

But, not overanalyzing that point, the F250 gasser will do just fine with a 7klb trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdc1 wrote:
We all end up with larger trailers...which necessitates a larger truck.

Wise Man!!! Too many want to ride on the edge.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
I Tow with my Ram Diesel the same number of times a year. My commute to work is a walk up the stairs. Nothing wrong with having a diesel as a daily driver - mine is a 3500. And when your towing, you won't have to listen to the gas engine scream. Plus, you will get better fuel mileage towing, and the ability to step up to a larger TT in the future.

That noise you hear with a gas engine is not "screaming", it is the music a well engineered piece of machinery working at it's design parameters.
Dang I love that sound, downshifting into second gear and that engine just snuggling into the task and pulling!
Why the heck some are scared of the machines abilities befuddles me!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I Tow with my Ram Diesel the same number of times a year. My commute to work is a walk up the stairs. Nothing wrong with having a diesel as a daily driver - mine is a 3500. And when your towing, you won't have to listen to the gas engine scream. Plus, you will get better fuel mileage towing, and the ability to step up to a larger TT in the future.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS