cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TRUCK TRAILER PLUG TESTERS

Dragonfly
Explorer
Explorer
I have had on and off trouble with the truck trailer connection, getting a "trailer disconnected" message even though lights, brakes etc work. Airstream says Ford brake controllers are too finicky. Ford says they tested their plug and it must be the trailer. Both truck and trailer have been checked for a good ground. (Google says Ford trailer brake controllers ARE finicky.)

Multiple cleanings of the plugs and lashing the plug in place with a pull tie seems to have solved the problem for now but I thought I might add a plug tester to the mix.

I see two levels of 7 pin testers. One is the $8-10 variety, the other jumps to $25-30. It sounds like both test not only the lights etc, but the brake controller. But the description on the more expensive models seem to be more specific about testing the brake controller.

I don't want to spend a fortune on a tester that I will only use once in a while but, I want to be sure that I am testing all of the most important functions especially brakes. Apparently these testers test the truck plug only thus, if the truck is OK, "it must be the trailer."

What are your thoughts about whether these testers are worth a dang and, if they are, is the difference between the two price levels based on better function or playing to the notion that more expensive is better.
DRAGONFLY - 2011, Provan Tiger CX, on a F350, 4WD, regular cab chassis
5 REPLIES 5

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
First thing I would look at are the female connectors and make sure they are touching each other. By that I mean to themselves NOT each other! If they do not make good contact to the trucks male pins this will give you the issue you are seeing.

Had the same thing on my Ram, the Rv dealer was pointing his finger at the truck but when I bent each of the trailer connectors the problem went away. Not saying the truck is not the issue but I would try and bend both sides of each of the tabs and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't then have Ford replace the plug on the truck.

Hope this helps Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
I made my own with 10 Ohm "dummy loads" for the individual circuits and LED indicators for each circuit.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
therink wrote:
I simply use a voltage meter at the 7 pin connection to check voltage on each circuit/pin. You just have to know which pin is for each circuit and ground.

The only problem I see with testing voltage is that sometime the meter will read voltage, but it goes away when there is a load due to a poor connection.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I simply use a voltage meter at the 7 pin connection to check voltage on each circuit/pin. You just have to know which pin is for each circuit and ground.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Dont know about testers but my Ford would occasionally say there was a fault and my GMC has never done that with the same trailer.