cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT spare tires

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was at CW buying the TT, the finance guy quoted me a price for a spare tire of over $600.00. When I look on-line at trailer spares they are pretty cheap, under a hundred bucks for wheel and tire. What gives?
16 REPLIES 16

Community Alumni
Not applicable
$600?......BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The wheel would have to be a pretty fancy aluminum wheel for $300. At $300 for the tire you'd still be getting ripped off if they gave you an LT as the spare.

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
Tell the dealer that no spare included in the original negotiated deal is a deal breaker. They will give you the spare.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:

What he said was that the wheel would cost over $300 dollars and the tire (for the wheel) would cost an additional $300 plus dollars. I think he thought I fell off of the turnip truck right out in the street.

Not having any idea what you have, a nice aluminum wheel could be $300 retail price.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Rainier wrote:
Yikes...Buy your own, I did! Mine didn't come with a spare. I bought a matching wheel for 35 bucks and a tire from Les Schwab for 100 bucks. Its not mounted because I have a bike rack attached to my bumber. I just throw the spare in the bed of my truck.

I've bought one TT and three 5th wheel rv trailers and a host of bumper and GN flatbed trailers up to 22k GVWR and always bought my own spares. No big deal.
Just about all of my trailers spares are used P or LT tires depending on the trailers axle load requirements.
My 5er in sig has 16" wheels/tires but I still use the OEM 15" wheel/used tire as a spare which has never been on the ground.

The 600 dollar number is simply economics 101 business greed or else the 600 dollar number package wasn't spelled out correct.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Rainier
Explorer
Explorer
Yikes...Buy your own, I did! Mine didn't come with a spare. I bought a matching wheel for 35 bucks and a tire from Les Schwab for 100 bucks. Its not mounted because I have a bike rack attached to my bumber. I just throw the spare in the bed of my truck.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
I would have to think there was a miscommunication. That couldn't be the price of a tire and wheel.

What he said was that the wheel would cost over $300 dollars and the tire (for the wheel) would cost an additional $300 plus dollars. I think he thought I fell off of the turnip truck right out in the street.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can get tire, AND rim at Tractor Supply, or Northern Tool, for $102.00. the bumper mount cost $35.00.
Yep. CW is a rip off. Wonder what else CW could be doing to you on the sale.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
BadgerMcAdams wrote:

...So to my thinking, they should come with a spare, as stated above, if they don't that is just wrong.

Some do and some don't, it is up to the manufacturer.

X2
I have looked at some trailers that listed it as an option depending on the package selected.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
BadgerMcAdams wrote:

...So to my thinking, they should come with a spare, as stated above, if they don't that is just wrong.

Some do and some don't, it is up to the manufacturer.

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
Tell him, "I'm sorry, I wasn't asking for a tire for a Bentley, just a freakin' spare for the trailer." Funny, but when i was walking around the local CW, it seemed that All the trailers had a Tire Mount and in some cases a Spare on it.

I asked the salesman trying to get us to buy a trailer about the spares not being there, and he said, "They take them off and store them inside since we have an open lot to the street. It keeps the spares from walking away during the night."

So to my thinking, they should come with a spare...as stated above, if they don't that is just wrong.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I would have to think there was a miscommunication. That couldn't be the price of a tire and wheel.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They're taking advantage.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's called a donation to the 'salesmen's college fund'.

If he gets 12 customers a year to do this he also gets his annual Mer/Benz payment paid for.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Selling a TT without a spare tire is just plain wrong.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad