cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Help

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
My brother is looking for a smaller TT but he wants to be able to tow it with a 2009 Honda Pilot. He found a 21ft at about 3200 lbs and he thinks the Pilot has a tow rating of about 3500 lbs. I have explained GVWR and GCWR to him along with tongue weight for his hitch. I am not sure what his bumper hitch is rated at. It is the AWD version Pilot. I think this may be a bit big for this vehicle. Have any of you used this as a TV that can offer some insight to share with him?
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS
2019 Chevy Silverado CC SRW 3500HD, Max & Alli
Beautiful Wife of only 24 Years:B
Boy at College - 21yrs,:C
Boy - 15yrs:p
14 REPLIES 14

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 20 foot TT. I, the girlfriend, and the dog have no problem in it. I have left the dog with my brother and taken a couple of kids with us. I've had up to 4 adults and one kid in it.

It depends, I suppose, on the type of camping you do. When we go out the Travel Trailer is just a place to sleep. We stay active all day outdoors. Then we set around the fire at night and then go to bed. When it rains we go to museums and other indoor things during the day. In those cases we would eat out and when we get back to the TT we can watch a movie and then go to bed. Rainy days are a little crowded. You have to have some rules and be able to get along on those rare occasions.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I agree with '24 or bigger' for a couple.
My wife and I traveled for years in a 189 single slide with no problems. We also had a 120# Akita with us. Admittedly, you had to step around the dog, but other than that, the 189 suited us well. But we get along well. Had we needed an extra room for one of us to cool down in, that room would have been outside!

But I recognize folks are different. I personally don't like towing something out of Lucy's Long Long Trailer movie. *(we have a 24 now for fulltiming for the extra storage).

Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
It only can't be done on an RV forum. A Pilot can have a tow rating up to 5K BTW. Personally I wouldn't do it but plenty do. I see all types of trailers in the 16-23' range being pulled by mid sized SUVS like Pilots. In the real world its done and done plenty, but it's a total abomination on these boards. Always has been and will always be. I think he'll need an F450 for a 21' 3200GVW trailer.

This and that you anything smaller than a 24'trailer is too small for a couple. And god forbid you want to put a dog into it as well. :R This forum is all about go big or it can't be done.

There are a ton of small hardtop tailers that could be pulled with a 3500 TV. T@B's, Molded Fiberglass both 13' and 16' (scamp, casitia), even a 16' Airstream would work. Little Guy has the new Max, and Mini Max trailers that look really nice. You might end up going slow up some of the bigger hills, but even then you would be fine.

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, some good info here. I will pass this on to him, thanks!
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^ yup. that's one of the reasons I upgraded from my grand Cherokee and it had the 4.7 and a whole lote more grunt than that lawn mower
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Many mid-sized SUVs I have reviewed has frontal area limitations in the fine print for their tow ratings. That puts you officially into a popup. As anyone who tows high wall RV says, the wind resistance uses most of the power and fuel, not weight until you try accelerating uphill.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Tell him to look at GTWR to determine what would work with his Pilot towing, NOT empty factory weights.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Tell him to learn to use the manual override on trailer brake control in stead of hitting the brake pedal to stop swaying. He'll need it when that second and third tractor-trailer in a row pass him on the interstate. Been there, done that.

One year during spring canoe season I was towing an 18 ft 2800 lb when empty trailer loaded and had more gear inside a 1991 Isuzu Trooper along with the large cooler on the front bumper. 3 tractor trailers north of Richmond on i-95 past me on the left. First one push me over a little. Second one push me over more and I started to sway. By the time the third one pass me the sway increased to the point that I knew I was going to lose it. What's save me was keeping my foot on the gas and hitting the manual switch on the brake controller. When the trailer brakes engaged it's snatch me straight and I let off the gas until this way was gone.

After that I kept an eye on the mirrors watching the tractor trailers until I got off at Fredericksburg. I learned a serious lesson about sway control and too much trailer and gear.

Yes I could tow it but shouldn't have been.

After that I bought a pop up for spring camping and only towed the trailer empty during hunting season. I made two trips to set up hunting camp. One trip to drop the trailer, second trip was with a utility trailer and my camping gear.

After I bought the Silverado 1500 no more problems towing either.

I now have a 28 foot trailer that is 4500 lbs dry.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
SUVs are people movers. The Pilot would be OK towing a boat or utility trailer. But a high sided TT with lots of tongue weight? No thanks.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Load leveling and sway control will be required. Getting into mountains is a completely different animal... as is high wind conditions.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
It only can't be done on an RV forum. A Pilot can have a tow rating up to 5K BTW. Personally I wouldn't do it but plenty do. I see all types of trailers in the 16-23' range being pulled by mid sized SUVS like Pilots. In the real world its done and done plenty, but it's a total abomination on these boards. Always has been and will always be. I think he'll need an F450 for a 21' 3200GVW trailer.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
No way. Like Jebby said, popup (maybe.)
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jebby, pretty much what I am telling him as it would not be fun at all.
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
no thanks. tell him buy a tow vehicle or look for a popup. even then be careful with numbers. no way would I attempt this.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....