cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV needs new rubber!

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2012 Avalanche needs new tires. I realize this is all upkeep on a vehicle but it still is a good size expense. 4 new tires are going to cost $1600 installed. Don't ask me what kind I didn't ask hubby.

My thoughts are, do we or should we also replace the spare at the same time. I have not asked hubby this yet, I have to order tires tomorrow when he gives me the details.

I am thinking, how long will that spare last just hanging up under the truck? I have never thought or asked about this before.

How many of you, if any, replace the spare with a new one when you get the other 4?
21 REPLIES 21

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
$1600? Do the tires come dipped in gold?!

Here you go!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Have had the Michelin LTX M/S on my Ford F250 for over 70,000 miles towing a 13,000 lb 5th wheel. Probably still have 15 to 25% tread left. Second set of tires on the truck with 148,000 miles on it. The ride is slightly harder than the OEM Firestones but not significantly. Have never had a flat or any kind of problem with them. Sidewall strength is completely adequate for windy road conditions. I've rotated them free of charge at Costco every 5,000 miles or so. I'm completely satisfied with them and recommend them highly.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My original spare is still hanging fine ready when needed.
Been on the ground once or twice in thirteen years. Was going to replace last time but could not find a matching wheel at a good price. Maybe next go around.

2012... leave it for now or rotate it in with the replacements.

BurbMan wrote:
Hated the Michelin LTX M/S on the burb, I hope they work better for you on your Avalanche.

Burbman, I'm curious as to why you didn't like the LTX's.

My experience has been just the opposite, both on my truck and my GMC Safari van.

If I had to rate them on my experience, they would get a 5 star 10/10 rating in every area.

What didn't you like about them?
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

loulou57 wrote:

Bob....I just ordered the tires. I asked what they were and they are exactly the ones that you got. The thing I was not told was that the price also included a new windshield installed. The cost of the 4 tires will be about $1200 installed, the rest for the windshield.
When I told my hubbby that I thought you got the same tire he said you bought the right ones, LOL! He put the same on another vehicle and said the difference was quite notable. He did a lot of price comparison and the dealer won out on price. Even Cosco didn't carry them but would bring them in for another $40 per tire. We will keep the spare for this set of tires. We bought the truck new in may 2012. I know some people will think the tires didn't last long but we do put on an awful lot of miles.
Thanks foa all the replies.

Excellent choice on the tires!

I had them on my minivan for several years before it got totaled. They still had most of the tread on them and that van went anywhere in the snow. the tires are absolutely amazing.

Now on the second set on my truck and I have no issues at all in the snow. They ride nice, they perform flawlessly for me. Love them!

LOL on what DH said about the tires - haha!

Enjoy the tires, they will serve you well. ๐Ÿ™‚
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hated the Michelin LTX M/S on the burb, I hope they work better for you on your Avalanche.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced the tires on my X. 4 new General Grabber HTS's LT265 75 16 load range E. I paid $650 for them from Tire Rack. I installed them at the shop i work for. $1600 for 5 is crazy!!!!! I'de do some shopping.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
1600 sounds a bit steep.

I reskinned my dually with Michelin LTX M&S2 for 1450, tax in.
The LTX's are by far the best tire I ever have had the pleasure of riding on.
I was about 750 miles under 80,000 miles on the old set of LTX's. Never a bit of trouble with them, ever.

As for the spare? I run Michelins, I don't need a spare!

I'm joking of course but in the past 3 trucks I have owned, the spare has never been off the rack. It is brand new and I would never waste the money replacing it. If it is older than 6 years, who cares. In a pinch it would get me in to somewhere that I could get a flat fixed.

I kick the spare every couple years to see if it still holds air. My spare still has the original air in it! Never been adjusted.

Bob....I just ordered the tires. I asked what they were and they are exactly the ones that you got. The thing I was not told was that the price also included a new windshield installed. The cost of the 4 tires will be about $1200 installed, the rest for the windshield.
When I told my hubbby that I thought you got the same tire he said you bought the right ones, LOL! He put the same on another vehicle and said the difference was quite notable. He did a lot of price comparison and the dealer won out on price. Even Cosco didn't carry them but would bring them in for another $40 per tire. We will keep the spare for this set of tires. We bought the truck new in may 2012. I know some people will think the tires didn't last long but we do put on an awful lot of miles.
Thanks foa all the replies.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
A 2 year old vehicle that needs new tires already? Replacing at that fast rate.
You shouldn't need to replace the spare until you are on the 5th replacement of the others. Or 10 years, which ever comes first.

Nothing Lasts Forever...and Tires Are No Exception

Tires are manufactured by bonding rubber to fabric plies and steel cords. And despite the anti-aging ingredients mixed into the rubber compounds, there is a realization that tires are perishable, as well as a growing awareness that some tires will actually age out before their treads will wear out.

For the most part today's tires deliver more miles and years of service than ever before. In the 1970s, typical bias ply tires lasted less than 20,000 miles and were only expected to be in service for about two years. In the 1980s, early radial ply tires offered a treadwear expectancy of about 40,000 miles during four years of service. And by the turn of the century, many long-life radial tires extended treadwear to about 60,000 miles during four or more years of service. While passenger car and light truck tire technology and American driving conditions in the past resulted in tire treads wearing out before the rest of the tire aged, it may not always be true of today's even longer lasting tires that are approaching 80,000 miles of treadwear.

How many years will tires last before aging out? Unfortunately it's impossible to predict when tires should be replaced based on their calendar age alone.

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and tire manufacturers are currently studying the many variables. Exposure to the elements (sun and atmospheric), regularity of use (frequent or only occasional) and the quality of care (maintaining proper inflation pressure, wheel alignment, etc.) will all influence the answer. So while tire life depends on the service conditions and the environment in which they operate, the difficult task remains how to identify all of the variables that influence a tire's calendar age and attempt to quantify their influence.

The current industry association recommendations regarding inspecting and replacing tires due to age originate outside the United States.

The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

"Environmental conditions like exposure to sunlight and coastal climates, as well as poor storage and infrequent use, accelerate the aging process. In ideal conditions, a tyre may have a life expectancy that exceeds ten years from its date of manufacture. However, such conditions are rare. Aging may not exhibit any external indications and, since there is no non-destructive test to assess the serviceability of a tyre, even an inspection carried out by a tyre expert may not reveal the extent of any deterioration."

More recently, The Japan Automobile Tire Manufacturers Association (JATMA) recommended practice issued May, 2005, states "customers are encouraged to have their vehicle tires promptly inspected after five years of use to determine if the tires can continue to be used (recommends spare tires be inspected as well). Furthermore, even when the tires look usable, it is recommended that all tires (including spare tires) that were made more than ten years ago be replaced with new tires. Additionally, because in some cases automobile makers--based on the characteristics of the relevant vehicle--stipulate in the owner's manual the timing of tire inspection and replacement. Please read and confirm the content of the owner's manual."

Several European vehicle manufacturers of high performance sports cars, coupes and sedans identify that "under no circumstances should tires older than 6 years be used" in their vehicle owner's manual. However, it should be noted that European recommendations must include driving conditions that include roads like the German Autobahn, which allows vehicles to be legally driven at their top speeds for extended periods of time.

While American driving conditions don't include the high-speed challenges of the German Autobahn, Chrysler and Ford Motor Company joined their European colleagues in 2005 by recommending that tires installed as Original Equipment be replaced after six years of service. (General Motors declined to offer a recommendation until a more scientific analysis of driving conditions and tire aging could be completed).

It is important to take into account Original Equipment tires are mounted on wheels and put into service right after being received by vehicle manufacturers, so their calendar age begins immediately. However the same cannot be said of tires properly stored in a tire manufacturers' warehouse or in Tire distribution centers before they go into service. Properly stored tires that are protected from the elements and not mounted on a wheel age very slowly before they are mounted and put into service.

Experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

mrekim
Explorer
Explorer
Is the spare full size with a matching rim?

If yes, then get 5 tires and when you rotate the tires rotate the spare in. The tire set will last longer, the wear will be even on all 5 tires, and your spare will get a periodic inspection at rotation time.

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
I just went to a load range E from P on my F150. Put replacement size LT 275R 18 E made by Falken with a 50K warranty. Cost me $715.00 OTD including lifetime road hazard/rotation/balancing. Discount Tire.
charles weidman

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
I think the spare should be replaced, about ever 4-5 years depending on the environment it sees regularly. But at the same time, there is nothing wrong with taking one of the better of the worn out tires to replace it with rubber thats not dry rotteded out.

I have to agree that 1600 for tires installed is a bit on the high side, unless you are very picky on what you want on the truck or going through a dealer it just sounds really high to pay nearly 400 a tire. My F350 has 20" rims which means expensive tires and still got great tires for under 300 each installed.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:

If it's black, round and holding air I reckon it will get you to the next city, although I've never had to test this theory :B

That's what I thought as well...

My 1995 F-150 had the OEM spare that had never been on the ground. Around 2011, the valve stem failed on my front driver side wheel/tire. I pulled over, installed the spare, and went on to the job site. On my way home, about 20 miles after putting the spare on, the tread seperated and tire lost air pressure, leaving me stranded on a busy fly over ramp in Houston.

After that experience, I've changed my opinion on spares. If the vehicle is over 8 years, when I replace tires, I'll take the best of the four and have it mounted as the spare. Won't cost much, and at least prevents me from driving around with an antique spare.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the consensus here... Paying $200+ to replace a tire that has never been used and will likely never get used is too expensive. Unless you have a matching rim and tire combo and rotate the spare in during tire rotations, it is a waste to replace it every time.

The spare tire on my truck is simply to allow me to drive off the interstate and to the nearest tire shop. No further than that, no higher speeds than absolutely neccessary
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS