cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Two choices - Your thoughts?

TheGreatWaz00
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at two TT last weekend - Bullet PREMIER and The Rockwood Signature. I like hte Premier and the wife list the Rockwood.

I am interested in what experiences (good, bad, ugly) you all have had with either. Interested in warranty issues, fit and finish, everything is fair game.

Appreciate your opinions.

Cheers~
Waz's from Maryland
Rockwood Roo 23ss
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
20 REPLIES 20

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
TheGreatWaz00 wrote:
I understand wmoses. My request was for the good, bad, and ugly of the Rockwood as I am not familiar with it. Not instructions on how to inspect a TT.
What I was trying to tell you in the nicest way possible is - The problem with asking someone else's opinion is, For the most part they are going to tell you they like what they bought. No one wants to admit they overpaid for something that was less then optimal. And probably even less people have any first hand experience with both or them to compare one against the other. You want to know which one is better, do your own homework. There are differences, go find them, then you can determine for yourself what there relative value is, which you would rather own, and at what price. An opinion on this forum is worth exactly what you paid for it.

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
TheGreatWaz00 wrote:
I understand wmoses. My request was for the good, bad, and ugly of the Rockwood as I am not familiar with it.

We have been pretty happy with our Rockwood in the two years we have had it. The warranty issues we had were handled fairly easily. I do think, all things being equal, the dealer is more important than the manufacturer.

One new development: our trailer is in winter storage in a farmer's barn in southern Indiana. He called me yesterday and said the tongue jack stopped working (he had to move the trailer to get to someone else's motorhome). He said he took it apart and a couple of the teeth of the gear had broken off so he used a floor jack to get it off of the ball of his truck. That tongue jack is not made by Forest River, so I don't blame them for the premature failure, although maybe they are using inferior tongue jacks.

The good thing is, I bought the second year warranty for $150 through Forest River and it says jacks are covered, so I just have to get it back to the dealer to get it replaced.

All-in-all, we have been happy with our Rockwood. We have the same unit as wmoses, and as I'm sure he can attest, the layout and inside quality are a big hit at the parks and campgrounds. Everyone who sees it, loves our camper.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
This is strictly based on personal experience. Others may vary.

I have a '13 Bullet Premier and have been very happy with it. It meets all our needs and is a lot lighter than other similar trailers we looked at. The fit, finish, and quality are very good and we've had no issues with it whatsoever.

I can't speak for current Flagstaffs but we previously owned an '07 Flagstaff and it was a good, solid built tt. We did have an issue with an unfound leak which eventually caused the rubber roof to separate. I am very diligent with maintenance and upkeep so it was not from lack of upkeep. We traded it at that point.

My father has a '13 Rockwood fiver which he bought on my recommendation. I had always considered them to be good, well built TTs. At this point I feel guilty and would never buy one. It has been a nightmare since day 1. In 2 years of ownership it has been at the dealers, or factory, for over 1 year combined. Complete new roof, front cap, axles and tires, flooring, slide track, water heater, AC.....the list goes on. It is now a legal battle. Granted, most grief is due to the dealer and their lack of knowledge. The manufacturer has been good to fix most issues, but then again it should have never left the factory as it was.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

memgrove
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the service manager in that dealership and ask which one gets fixed fastest for warranty repairs. That way you have the best chance to spend the most time in it if there were to be a problem.
Mike
2006 Chevy 2500 4X4 crew cab Gasser
2013 Dutchmen Denali 311 BHS (Love the trailer HATE the manufacture!)

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
TheGreatWaz00 wrote:
I understand wmoses. My request was for the good, bad, and ugly of the Rockwood as I am not familiar with it. Not instructions on how to inspect a TT.

You can hire an independent RV tech to do an inspection and be a part of your walk-through.

There was an independent tech who did an inspection on our resale unit we bought last year. He probably did pretty good, but since he was getting paid by the dealer there were things missed (but he's done some free/low-cost repairs for us to make up for it)
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Aluminum_Siding
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Keystone my buddy has a Forest River. Both decent quality. The Forest River seems a tiny bit more solid my just my assumption. It is also way too low and plumping hits on occasion.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Bullet Premier and will be heading into our 3rd season. We look for fun and have not seen anything better for us. We like the curved roof, gives you more height inside plus a lot of other great things.

As for the Rockwood, have never had one but they have been around for a long time so there must be something good there.

Good luck and as others have said, happy wife, happy life.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

TheGreatWaz00
Explorer
Explorer
Waz's from Maryland
Rockwood Roo 23ss
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
That's a no brainer.
Buy the one your wife likes!

Agree. This is not a problem that would be solved on this forum. You must like what you like and she likes what she likes - who cares what we like. If you are ambivalent in the least get the trailer she likes.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Go through both with a fine tooth comb. Pull drawers out and look underneath and in back of them, put your head in little spaces and look up, down and all around; look underneath, look on top, look at size, shape, thickness, and build of everything and anything. Look at what is holding it together and how suitable it is. Do all that and see if one is better overall quality, build, design, stoutness and toughness, and you may come up with a clear winner in the areas that really count.

Marauderer
Explorer
Explorer
All the posts have good recommendations. I think PawPaw did the best.
Barry:B
USN (Ret.)
20 GD Reflection 337RLS
07 GMC Sierra D/A CCSB, to many mods, Anderson Ultimate with B&W rollover ball gooseneck hitch, Torque Lift Stairs, 20 ft Flag Poll
15 Grand Cherokee Limited EcoDiesel
"Red" the little Bear Dog
12 Yanmar Sc2450

TheGreatWaz00
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw

Thanks that was helpful. Issue with fit and finish will drive me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant handle it.
Waz's from Maryland
Rockwood Roo 23ss
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie

shihtzumoma
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
If I were you , but Im a lady, I would have a good look at the one your wife wants. Just my observation, women are better knowing whats best in a house or trailer. In addition men know the mechanical side better. But, if you are a tall big man, Please make sure you can fit into it. My friend just bought a 5vr , here husband is a very large man, not fat but tall . Some of the rigs we looked at he couldn't stand up in the shower or some of the door ways did not fit him. That can't be comfortable. But we found one the worked. So good luck.
Jeanine
31 ft springdale quad bunk
F150 V8 tow package
2 shihtzu
3 daughters
1 grandma

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
TheGreatWaz00 wrote:
I like hte Premier and the wife list the Rockwood.

Buy the Rockwood now, or sell the Premier in a year, and buy the Rockwood then.

Even that loss on the investment is cheaper than a divorce.

Really - are they the same floor plan, the same level of accessories? Only then can she compare them equally.

We have a Flagstaff Classic Super-Lite - basically a Rockwood with a different name. Been full-time for over a year and quite happy. But we have the Platinum Package with 2 ACs, 50amp service, free standing dining table, two leather recliners, power awnings and covers, slide toppers.

The thing we love most is the electric heater/ fake fireplace under the TV. We never turn on the furnace until it gets below 35 degrees, and then only to add heat to the underbelly. We've been in temps down into the mid teens several times. TT was quick comfortable.

We've also camped in 110 degrees, and the two ACs kept up just fine.

Yes there have been a couple minor issues. We've put over 7,000 miles on the trailer and some things have worked loose. I keep an eye out for that type thing, and fix anything which comes up.

The furnace failed on the first trip out. But that was a Suburban problem - not Forest River.

I've met many folks with the Keystone Bullet line of TT while camphosting - and most have been happy.

As mentioned above - every brand has it's bad units, folks who buy a TT expecting something more than the level they are paying for.

One word of warning - we almost bought a different model of Flagstaff which was on-sale as a 'show model'. We decided to go with the one we have. The fellow and his wife who are gate attendant at the COE cg where we are right now actually bought the one we decided against. They 'hate' their TT. Nothing really about the build - but a lot of little issues - fit and finish issues - which were all things caused by the unit being at three RV shows in about three months.

Stay away from the show floor model if possible.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT