cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Brakes Question

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
I have to replace the brakes on my 2017 Sierra 1500, Crew Cab, Standard Bed. I would like to upgrade to something better than OEM. The Powerstop Truck and Tow Performance pads and rotors (drilled and slotted) look good. Looking for advice from people who have used these or other performance brake pads and rotors. Will be heading for a four week trip to the western mountains this summer (not my first time doing this) and need excellent brakes.
2021 Grand Design Transcend 240ML
2017 GMC Sierra 1500, 4wd, 5.3L, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Heavy Duty Tow Package
Equil-I-zer hitch
69 REPLIES 69

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
6 pot Brembos are most definitely a serious upgrade.
Similar to yours.
Although folks prioritize different things, that's a lot of money for a truck that is still basically new (ish).

Yeah baby:

Your Challenger is orange? So’s our Charger...

It does look orange (or Gomango!) in the pic but it's Redline Red tripple pearl.

Scott

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ScottG wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Similar to yours.
Although folks prioritize different things, that's a lot of money for a truck that is still basically new (ish).

Yeah baby:

Your Challenger is orange? So’s our Charger...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
All personal choice...

Going fixed, multi piston calipers is on my list for the 2 seater rebuild, but not for my trucks

Again, personal choice and nothing wrong on this threads upgrades by others...even sticking with OEM, all personal choice and I’m not into dinging anyone over their choices

Going larger calipers dictates larger wheel dia so they will fit, but the down side for me, is that means going to lower profile tires....I like higher profile...even going to >85/100 ratio sidewalls to air down to have apparent +8-10 foot dia tires. My personal days of serious off reading are about over at 71, but if grandson wants to, that would get me back into that game in a flash (he’s 7 and really into automotive)

Don’t own a trailer right now, but when that day comes aground again, my money will be towards upgrading the trailer suspension, disc brakes & wiring....of course new wheels and tires (LT or commercial)

Still enjoy jawing and seeing other choices on this or any other automotive matter

PS...largest dia disc I’ve designed is 48” in dia (doughnut, center hole about 38”) and the regular ones in the 17” to 20” dia range. Windmill & Industrial with minimum of 100% duty cycle and some IIRC, +150% duty cycle
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Similar to yours.

Yeah baby:

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Similar to yours.

It's an upgrade, versus installing new parts. IMO, replacement rotors aren't an upgrade. No matter what kind you buy, the truck won't stop any better. A different pad compound will make a slight change.

So, let's say it costs $400 in parts for new stuff. That's $400 spent on stuff that really won't be any different. And if he spends that amount of money every few years, he's never going have anything that's really different or a true upgrade. But, if he spends $3000 now, he'd be able to enjoy a massive upgrade for how ever long he owns the truck. And, rotor and pad wear will go down.

But, if he doesn't already own 20" or larger wheels, he'd need to buy new wheels and tires and that's when it becomes really expensive.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Similar to yours.

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an upgrade that fits the 2017 Chevy 1500:

Chevy Silverado Brake Upgrade
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
BenK wrote:
Devo, a very nice setup !

Just curious why the calipers seem to be different, or is it just the angle of view ?

I think one is rear and the other is front.

Correct. I thought he meant different from the stock calipers. LOL.

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^Fronts and rears.
I bet that thing dang near stand on its nose compared to OE brakes !!

The difference is huge. Today and yesterday, I drove the Ford and the pedal feel make it so much more fun to drive. The 2019 Ram 3500 has decent brakes (it's almost 15 years newer, so it should be) but it's just not the same.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
BenK wrote:

Just curious why the calipers seem to be different, or is it just the angle of view ?

I think one is rear and the other is front.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Fronts and rears.
I bet that thing dang near stand on its nose compared to OE brakes !!

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

Physically, they appear to be about 2x the size although they aren't actually two times larger. The caliper is also has extra material (the ribs) and are a bit thicker so it doesn't flex when clamping.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
The upgrade I did on my Ford was an actual upgrade, not a change in rotor manufacture or pad compound.

I put on larger calipers (SSBC) on all four axles plus I had a shop take off the existing brake lines and remake the brake lines using the existing hardware but replace the hoses with SS braided hose. The calipers are much larger - I think the swept area is about 35% larger. Also, the fronts are 6 piston and the rears are 3 piston so the the piston force is evenly distributed.

The pedal feel is just as good as any of my race cars, which really makes it fun to drive even though I only drive it once or twice a month.

I haven't yet experimented on changing the pad compound because the ones provided by SSBC work fine.