cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

upnfront bike carrier? Anyone try these (Picture)

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
Has Anybody used these. Saw these at a RV show for carrying your bikes on your tongue. Seems like a good idea and were very sturdy? 300.00 bucks seemed a bit pricey however.

upnfront.com

Kb,Lori,Abby and Doberman Rosie and Boxer Boaz
Portland, OR
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 Cummins, 48RE, Firestone RideRite Air Bags

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2014 Komfort Trailblazer 2610BH
2005 Starcraft Hybrid
8 REPLIES 8

tdowney
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to put my bikes on the back of my TT. Has anyone used Mount-Lock safetystruts to beef up the back bumper?

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
njtowerdriver wrote:
This is what I have on our trailer.
Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk
I works well, however you provide the bike rack and it can be a little hard to load the bikes. I usally load them after I hook up and stand in the truck bed.

I like this one better then the the Upfront. The Stromberg has 2 supports up off the A frame and it leaves the battery tray intact. This is fairly new to them I think. Had not seen that before. Good link.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

njtowerdriver
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I have on our trailer.
Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk
I works well, however you provide the bike rack and it can be a little hard to load the bikes. I usally load them after I hook up and stand in the truck bed.

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Racks for the back of the trailer work great too (I've been using one for many years) but the bumper must be strengthened to take it and one needs to use a rack built for RV use.
Given a choice, I prefer mine on the back because it's easier to load and unload.

i used to put the bikes on the back. NEVER AGAIN. had two bad experiences and never again, but your results may very ;-0
Kb,Lori,Abby and Doberman Rosie and Boxer Boaz
Portland, OR
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 Cummins, 48RE, Firestone RideRite Air Bags

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2014 Komfort Trailblazer 2610BH
2005 Starcraft Hybrid

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Racks for the back of the trailer work great too (I've been using one for many years) but the bumper must be strengthened to take it and one needs to use a rack built for RV use.
Given a choice, I prefer mine on the back because it's easier to load and unload.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hauling bikes to camp can be a challenge. How many bikes and what your TV and TT is can even further complicate how to get them to camp.

After hauling bikes on the back of the camper (never do that again), hauling them on the front of the truck (it has issues, DOT lights and tranny heat) I ended up making a rack for the front of the A frame. Been through 2 campers and 3 trucks to get to this point.

For "my" situation this fit the bill and covers all my prior issues.

The front bikes rack however have certain needs.

1. The trailer A frame has to be strong enough to handle the added weight and allow the rack to be attached to it and no compromise the A frame. Not all TT A frames are created equal.

2. The truck needs to have adequate load carrying capacity to handle the increased tongue weight.

3. The truck receiver and the WD hitch need to have enough capacity to handle the increased tongue weight.

4. The rack system needs to be high enough to all the bike tires not hit the rear fender of the truck in a full turn. (you do really not want a new cash point)

5. Realize you will be picking up some passengers when mounted on the front of the TT. Any insects plastered on the front of the camper, some get hit by the bikes first. To some, this is not a show stopper, more a realization. I have seen some folks just create a bike cover to go over the bikes and they gets rid of the passengers on the bikes. Now the cover carries them...

6. Your A frame, front of camper design, battery box location, LP tank cover, power tongue Jack setup all play a factor in how the A frame mount will fit. I needed to work with 2 Grp 27 batteries on the tongue and the Upfront mount I saw on their site would be an issue as it looks like it spans where my battery tray is.

Bike Rack on front of TT

That link above has a lot of pic's of the build process. After using this location, for us, this is the best way to go. Again, see the 6 needs above. My TT has a 6" C channel iron frame and I have a pivoting LP tank cover. Lift lid and reach in to turn gas on with bike rack in place.

Cost. In my case I started with a Swagman 2 bike carrier that holds by the tires (a need in my opinion) That is going to be ~ 130 to $160. I forget exactly what it cost as I had it a long time. I can take it off the TT and put it in the truck receiver if we need to do a day trip from camp with bikes. Or use it for any home bike hauling.

The A frame rack I made up from left over steel I had. My time, I work cheap....$.0.00

If you can find a quality A frame rack for $300. with the bike rack, that is a good price. You will be hard pressed to be able to buy one custom made from a fab shop at that cost. Labor rates of $45 to $65/hr and it will be way over #300

A difference I see with the Upfront design is, mine has a 3rd leg in the front of the LP tank. Mine is more stable. Not to say theirs is not stable enough. Just mine is very rigid. A bike being 6 feet up in the air create a good lever on the mount way down at the A frame.

Mine added 120# to the tongue weight. 2 adult bikes, Swagmen rack and A frame mount.

Hope this helps you think through if this fits in your case.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind it'll add to your tongue weight - just something to plan/load for, if you go this route.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the Arvika from Canada. I have one and love it. It is now on my third trailer. I've needed different upright supports when I traded trailers and they swapped me parts and only charged me shipping. After using the over the propane tank racks from Arvika, I will never put a bike on the bike back of a trailer again. The Arvika is more expensive, around $600, but it is a complete bike rack. Arvika