cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Use home sewer cleanout as dump station?

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I have found references to dumping RV tanks into home sewer cleanouts on other forums, but nothing definitive. In colder climates, it's not allowed for fear that the hose will stay connected for more than a short time and it would allow the sewer lines to freeze, or something like that. We don't have to worry about that here. I have a 4" cleanout about 3 feet away from the curb. Our only public dump station here is $15 per dump, and kind of a tight fit. I've searched the Fresno city web site and did not found anything yea or nay about how legal it is. Anybody informed about such things? I could do it on the sly, but that's not how I like to do things. Thanks.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!
47 REPLIES 47

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
S.K. wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
turbojimmy wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Any home sewer clean out at a home goes into a sanitary line. Some houses have a storm drain at the curb of the property, but I'de like to believe that all of us would know the difference!

No, not a storm drain - a storm water management system on my property consisting of 2 underground dry-wells and an overflow pipe that runs off into the edge of my front yard. It consists of buried 4" white PVC pipe with three 4" clean-outs over a couple-hundred-foot run. I didn't know any of it was there until I started pulling the caps off of the clean-outs. The plumbing is identical to my sanitary sewer line, including the clean-outs, and also in the same general area.

My point is that a white cap sticking out of the ground may not necessarily be a sanitary sewer clean-out.

Ok, well there is an exception. However I would like to think if someone went through the trouble with that kind of system then they know what they have. Or if they bought the house it was explained to them. Our storm water drains at the curb are marked "drains to river" with a picture of fish on them.

So, do we agree that "a white cap sticking out of the ground may not necessarily be a sanitary sewer clean-out"? I would think that conducting a simple test as suggested by Turbojimmy before discharging the waste water into the drain might not be a bad idea.

Yes, I agree completely!

Once you determine its destination then you can either use it or not.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Georgia_Popcorn
Explorer
Explorer
danimal53 wrote:
turbojimmy wrote:
I dumped at home for the first time last week and it was so liberating!

HA, i read this a little differently, made me laugh quite a bit. I don't see why there would be an issue, like others said as long as you're sure it's a sanitary and not storm sewer, you should be fine. "Better to ask forgiveness than permission" "Better to ask forgiveness than permission"

My sentiments exactly!
2019---35M THOR Hurricane
2016 Cadillac SRX Toad
Blue Ox

S_K_
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
turbojimmy wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Any home sewer clean out at a home goes into a sanitary line. Some houses have a storm drain at the curb of the property, but I'de like to believe that all of us would know the difference!

No, not a storm drain - a storm water management system on my property consisting of 2 underground dry-wells and an overflow pipe that runs off into the edge of my front yard. It consists of buried 4" white PVC pipe with three 4" clean-outs over a couple-hundred-foot run. I didn't know any of it was there until I started pulling the caps off of the clean-outs. The plumbing is identical to my sanitary sewer line, including the clean-outs, and also in the same general area.

My point is that a white cap sticking out of the ground may not necessarily be a sanitary sewer clean-out.

Ok, well there is an exception. However I would like to think if someone went through the trouble with that kind of system then they know what they have. Or if they bought the house it was explained to them. Our storm water drains at the curb are marked "drains to river" with a picture of fish on them.

So, do we agree that "a white cap sticking out of the ground may not necessarily be a sanitary sewer clean-out"? I would think that conducting a simple test as suggested by Turbojimmy before discharging the waste water into the drain might not be a bad idea.
2010 Jayco Eagle SuperLite 298RLS
2010 Silverado 2500HD LT, Duramax, CCSB, 4x4
ProPride 3P-1000
2016 Winnebago ERA 70A

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

I've only been in the house since January. I've been finding all sorts of interesting things that weren't "explained to me" ๐Ÿ™‚

Ya it's funny what you come across. At least you went out of your way to figure out what everything is when you find something.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

I've only been in the house since January. I've been finding all sorts of interesting things that weren't "explained to me" ๐Ÿ™‚
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
My opinion, use your sewer as you desire.

We put one in before we built our house (lived in trailer for 2 1/2 years). It is not very convenient with our newer trailer. I will figure out better location at some point and extend.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
S.K. wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Just make sure that you dump into a sanitary line and not a storm line. Other than that, no worries.

How does one distinguish the two? Do they use the same type of caps?

In my case the caps were identical. I opened one up thinking it was a sewer and I could see it was a dry well (a pit full of stones). I opened up 2 others farther upstream that appeared to be on the same run. One was another dry well the other was a cleanout. All 3 were for rain water management - NOT sewer. When I looked inside the cleanout it could easily have been mistaken for a sewer.

I ultimately did find the correct sewer cleanout in my yard. Visually it looked like it could be on the same run as the storm water management but it wasn't. A sure way to tell is to open up what you suspect is your sewer cleanout and have someone flush while you shine a flashlight down in there and/or listen for running water.

S_K_
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Just make sure that you dump into a sanitary line and not a storm line. Other than that, no worries.

How does one distinguish the two? Do they use the same type of caps?
2010 Jayco Eagle SuperLite 298RLS
2010 Silverado 2500HD LT, Duramax, CCSB, 4x4
ProPride 3P-1000
2016 Winnebago ERA 70A

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd do it, to hell with the neighbors. Poop is poop regardless of whether it's coming from the toilet or a tank. I would, however, make sure any tank chemicals are safe for public systems.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
It's the sewer cleanout. I put it in years ago. The city planted a magnolia tree right on top of the sewer line. Thus, the cleanout. I don't think we even have storm drains here. I believe the storm run-off runs from the street drains into recharge basins, which tries to get it into the aquifer. Not that we have a whole lot of run-off to worry about. The cleanout is under ground, about 8 inches. The box it's in is deeper. Our sewer rate is a fixed monthly amount. Not based on water usage. I think I'll use it as a backup. If we don't have a dump station where we camp, we will use it. Thanks for the input.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
Its easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission .

I dont have an extention to my clean out right next to where I park my camper , made of 4 in PVC . And I would never dump my black or grey into the pipe I dont have .