cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Used Nash TT 22H model, any good? What's it worth and...

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to buy a TT, a used 2005 Nash 22 H. I have not owned or pulled anything of this size in over 30 years. The owner says the dry weight is 3800, but I've read 4150 lbs; not certain as I can't find the specs.

I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra, TRD, 4x4, access cab, with a fiberglass topper. It has a max towing capacity listed at 6900 lbs. And, it has heavier shocks and springs for better load capacity, about another 500 lbs over manufacture build.

Info: The TT has the smooth sides, not the aluminum style sides. Most that I have looked at have the aluminum. It has two axles, with four new tires. Aside from this, it looks like many other used Nash 22' TT's I've looked at. It has been cared for, stored under cover, no damage or rust, the interior in good shape with a few blemishes of normal wear and tear. It has a TV installed in the corner where the bed is located. No radio. Two propane tanks in good condition, and a newer battery. All systems work. All original appliances.

1. I can not find the specs for this TT. I have no idea how well, or not, it's built and what the weights are. I've read on RV.Net that Nash trailers are good TT's, but I really don't know much about them.

2. I don't know what is good or bad for pricing, in this market, and I know pricing is subjective, but some thoughts on the asking price of $7800 would be good to hear.

3. What should I check on this TT, any inherent issues with a Nash build?

4. Any thoughts on towing this model behind my truck? Will this be a safe and practical set up?

I do not yet have a brake controller or a distribution hitch. I need recommendations for these.
I will have to drive it home under standard towing set up, about 60 miles in fast moving, heavy traffic, mostly level with a few small hills, to get it home. Once home it will sit until I can get it cleaned up and set up the way my wife and I want it. I will then install a brake controller and buy a distribution hitch.

Thanks for any advise and recommendations.
[img/Users/Frank/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2/Originals/2014/Apr 2, 2014/2009_1306_Nav_BlueMoon.jpg[img]
15 REPLIES 15

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
The Nash was worn out underneath, frame rusty, cabinets worn, tub had a cracked corner and caulked up, and of course it needed a major detail. I liked the floor plan, the weight was border line.
[img/Users/Frank/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2/Originals/2014/Apr 2, 2014/2009_1306_Nav_BlueMoon.jpg[img]

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a perfect solution! I've got a narrow sleeping arrangement in my van so I sleep in a tent if stopped for more than a night.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
cptqueeg wrote:

The bed is only a residential full size - 54" wide, so that would be a hard no unless I was single.

I made a little "wall" with either a 2x8 or 2x10 (I can't remember the width of the little gap between the wall and the mattress) and we installed a memory foam Queen bed in that space. Had to cut a notch out up front to open the cabinet and had to climb into bed from the foot side, but widened the bed enough to make it comfy for 2 adults (And 3 little dogs).
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
synergy_58 wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
You said,"I do not yet have a brake controller or a distribution hitch. I need recommendations for these.
I will have to drive it home under standard towing set up, about 60 miles in fast moving, heavy traffic, mostly level with a few small hills, to get it home. Once home it will sit until I can get it cleaned up and set up the way my wife and I want it. I will then install a brake controller and buy a distribution hitch."

Dont take it on the road at all without a brake controller installed! You will be breaking the law and putting yourself and others in danger.
The Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller are plug and play because it comes with the wiring harness for your truck from that retailer. Note: Don't try and save a few bucks by getting a "time delay" controller.

One more comment. You will most likely be at the limit of your truck with that trailer. I would not pull it without a WD hitch. They are not very expensive and also very easy to install. Get one like this and be safe - at least equipment wise. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your trailer.:)
Barney

Thanks! Ok, so I'll get the brake controller done, and buy the WD hitch before I get the TT. Actually, IF I get this one. The seller is already telling tales.
What do you mean by "telling tales?
From what you have posted, it sounds like a good deal. Check out the roof. If that is good, buy it. Lots of used junk out there in that price point.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
synergy_58 wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
synergy_58 wrote:

The bed is only a residential full size - 54" wide, so that would be a hard no unless I was single.

When you up graded springs did you get higher load range tires?

Yes, Im running Toyo Open Country AT III's, load range E. They are awesome tires!

Have the same on my Tundra.

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
synergy_58 wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
You said,"I do not yet have a brake controller or a distribution hitch. I need recommendations for these.
I will have to drive it home under standard towing set up, about 60 miles in fast moving, heavy traffic, mostly level with a few small hills, to get it home. Once home it will sit until I can get it cleaned up and set up the way my wife and I want it. I will then install a brake controller and buy a distribution hitch."

Dont take it on the road at all without a brake controller installed! You will be breaking the law and putting yourself and others in danger.
The Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller are plug and play because it comes with the wiring harness for your truck from that retailer. Note: Don't try and save a few bucks by getting a "time delay" controller.

One more comment. You will most likely be at the limit of your truck with that trailer. I would not pull it without a WD hitch. They are not very expensive and also very easy to install. Get one like this and be safe - at least equipment wise. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your trailer.:)
Barney

Thanks! Ok, so I'll get the brake controller done, and buy the WD hitch before I get the TT. Actually, IF I get this one. The seller is already telling tales.

Wife and I really like the floor plan in this 22'er; however, the weight is right at the line with no comfort zone, so we're going to keep looking, which is unfortunate because going shorter means less room. Maybe we need a newer truck. IDK. Maybe we can find a 19, 20'er, and it would be better. IDK.

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
synergy_58 wrote:

Yes, Im running Toyo Open Country AT III's, load range E. They are awesome tires!

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:

Barney

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 1998 Nash 22H as my first trailer. It was an EXTREMELY well built trailer. Mine was 7500 lbs loaded. I towed with a 2010 Tundra with the 5.7 and it was a perfect match.

Given the numbers and lack of tow package on your truck, I would say it might be a little too heavy. Nash makes a solid trailer, they are heavy for their size.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Higher load range tires would actually make it safer, not just make it "feel safer", and I did not imply that heavier springs and/or higher rated tires would make the combo legal.

People are going to do want they want, no matter what the weight police say - otherwise there'd be no weigh stations. Pointing out the OP may want to consider higher load range tires adds another $1200 in expenses that may or may not change his outlook on the truck or trailer. I appreciate the weight police for keep reminding us of the rules though, however human nature causes us to frequently overlook rules and risk.

And insurance is paid so we can do dumb stuff, when human nature takes over. Not that I would or would recommend anyone else driving illegally for fear of causing an accident, injury, or death.

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whether you upgraded the srings and tires or not, you can not legally raise the payload capacity of the vehicle. It may make you feel safer but you would still be illegal in the eyes of the DOT and/or lawyers if somaething were to happen.
cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
synergy_58 wrote:

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III

Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
cliffy49 wrote:
Google is your friend. My personal opoinion is that the trailer is to much for your truck. You are limited to payload based on the yellow sticker on the door regardless of what you change. The GVWR of this trailer is 7000 lbs. which will give you a tongue weight of between 700 and 1050 lbs.

https://northwoodmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/N-22H.pdf

Thanks for the brochure!

The owner states that, according to his records, the TT Gross weight is listed as 6800 lbs. Dry weight 3890 lbs. The newer TT's, like what's in the brochure, is a bit higher.

I guess I am right there at the line, with my Max towing cap. at 6900 (book states 7000lbs max.)

Thanks for the input!