Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vehicle/Travel Trailer Compatibility

bobka7914
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings!

New to this site today.

We are getting rather tired of the tent camping scene.
Contemplating a transition into a small travel trailer with a higher mpg tow vehicle...

In your opinion, can a 2015 Jeep Cherokee V6 with tow pkg and a 4500 lb tow rating safely pull a Travel Lite i18 Cobblestone travel trailer with a 2945 dry weight?
32 REPLIES 32

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Strongly suggest you discard the idea of towing above 65 - 70 mph. Total irresponsibility. Virtually all trailer tires note a MAX speed of 65 which doesn't mean 65 - 70 or more. If folks want to pass you when you're towing at 57, give them as much time and room as they need to safely do so. Completely agree that towing at 75 mph is dangerous for both your family and others and is just inviting disaster. There was a thread not too long ago re "what is your usual towing speed?" The vast majority were in the 57 - 63 range. Obviously, road conditions and traffic will vary, but safety is #1.

Not only is higher speed just asking for trouble, your mpg will drop like a rock. You'll find the best speed for your vehicle and trailer and try to stay there. In our case, we tow a 26' box travel trailer with an '03 F-150 CC, 5.4 with factory tow and about 62 puts us at the 2500 rpm and it tows and handles well and, better yet, we can STOP when we need to. Towing is only half the equation, stopping is the more important half.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Here's more:

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The speed limits vary considerably by State. PA, where the OP lives is just starting to enact 70 MPH limita.

Of course, this has very little to do with the thread and the OP's choice of towing vehicle or trailer.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ryanw821 wrote:
Muddydogs wrote:
gemsworld wrote:
"Theres no such thing as a high MPG tow rig and a V6 Jeep pulling 4000 pounds is certainly not even close. Probably get 5 to 8 MPG with this combo if your lucky and have a tail wind."

I get 13 MPG with my V6 Jeep GC towing a Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS at 55 MPH.

Well good for you and thanks for being a road hazard. I hope I am not coming the other way when all the crazies are trying to pass you on a 2 lane road. I feel you should at least have a rig that can tow a trailer at a reasonable speed and unfortunately 55 is not reasonable anymore and going this speed just makes you a road hazard. Even at 65 or 70 MPH I feel like a rock in the ocean with water flowing all around me as the crazyโ€™s fly by. If you canโ€™t run 65 on the interstate then your rig is subpar. Heck some Utah interstates are now posted at 80 and most state hwyโ€™s are at least 65 which means 75 most of the time.

Seeing how damn near all trailer tires are rated for a max speed of 60-65mph, I don't want to be anywhere near you going 75mph, you're just as much a road hazard.

Agree. Running 75 with a trailer is just looking for a place to wreck.
And in truth. I know of no times where a driver cannot see a large mostly white wall with lights on it. When is the last time you heard of a school activity bus being rear ended on the interstate. they are regulated to 55 MPH, and most won't do that.

My "rig" will run as fast as I want to go. I'm just not stupid enough to run 75. I stay between 55, and 65 except when I don't pat attention to speed, and it creeps up toward 70.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
KFCCaravan wrote:
I don't have my owners manual handy but a quick google seems to indicate the WK2 Grand Cherokees have a trailer frontal area limitation of 55 sq-ft - not 32. The Travel Lite i18 seems like it would have a frontal area less than that. Also, if your G.C. has the tow package, you should be legal to tow 6200lbs (not that I'd recommend that).
This trailer looks a like a really good match for the Grand Cherokee. I pull a trailer with very similar specifications with 2014 Grand Cherokee V8 and it is a joy to tow. The rig is rock solid with weight distribution and no sway control. MPG is not great but better than most gassers. I get between 10-13 mpg depending on my speed. The only thing I cannot speak to is how the V6 will perform. I think it would be adequate but be ready for sustained high rpm operation on any kind of a grade.
The 8 speed transmission really shines when towing. There is always an appropriate gear for any speed and load. The paddle shifters which initially seemed like a waste of space are actually very handy for using the transmission for engine braking on downhill grades.
As others have stated, you need to be cognizant of payload on this rig. Depending on your Grand Cherokee's trim level, you will have between 1350 lbs and 1050 lbs available for payload.

OP has a Cherokee, not Grand Cherokee. Much closer in size to my Liberty, than your Grand Cherokee.

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
Muddydogs wrote:
gemsworld wrote:
"Theres no such thing as a high MPG tow rig and a V6 Jeep pulling 4000 pounds is certainly not even close. Probably get 5 to 8 MPG with this combo if your lucky and have a tail wind."

Well good for you and thanks for being a road hazard. I hope I am not coming the other way when all the crazies are trying to pass you on a 2 lane road. I feel you should at least have a rig that can tow a trailer at a reasonable speed and unfortunately 55 is not reasonable anymore and going this speed just makes you a road hazard. Even at 65 or 70 MPH I feel like a rock in the ocean with water flowing all around me as the crazyโ€™s fly by. If you canโ€™t run 65 on the interstate then your rig is subpar. Heck some Utah interstates are now posted at 80 and most state hwyโ€™s are at least 65 which means 75 most of the time.

Seeing how damn near all trailer tires are rated for a max speed of 60-65mph, I don't want to be anywhere near you going 75mph, you're just as much a road hazard.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:

2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

KFCCaravan
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have my owners manual handy but a quick google seems to indicate the WK2 Grand Cherokees have a trailer frontal area limitation of 55 sq-ft - not 32. The Travel Lite i18 seems like it would have a frontal area less than that. Also, if your G.C. has the tow package, you should be legal to tow 6200lbs (not that I'd recommend that).
This trailer looks a like a really good match for the Grand Cherokee. I pull a trailer with very similar specifications with 2014 Grand Cherokee V8 and it is a joy to tow. The rig is rock solid with weight distribution and no sway control. MPG is not great but better than most gassers. I get between 10-13 mpg depending on my speed. The only thing I cannot speak to is how the V6 will perform. I think it would be adequate but be ready for sustained high rpm operation on any kind of a grade.
The 8 speed transmission really shines when towing. There is always an appropriate gear for any speed and load. The paddle shifters which initially seemed like a waste of space are actually very handy for using the transmission for engine braking on downhill grades.
As others have stated, you need to be cognizant of payload on this rig. Depending on your Grand Cherokee's trim level, you will have between 1350 lbs and 1050 lbs available for payload.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobka7914 wrote:
Greetings!

New to this site today.

Contemplating a transition into a small travel trailer with a higher mpg tow vehicle...

In your opinion, can a 2015 Jeep Cherokee V6 with tow pkg and a 4500 lb tow rating safely pull a Travel Lite i18 Cobblestone travel trailer with a 2945 dry weight?

You may want to look into a Trail Manor. It is not a tent trailer, but still folds down out of the wind. Has easy setup. With a fold down your Cherokee will get in the 14 to 15 MPG range. We towed our 12' box pup with a I6 Grand Cherokee. It did a great job. And for a lite trailer like that with the correct tongue weight. We didn't need a WDH. Had no sway. Due to the short Rear overhang on the Grand Cherokee.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
According to the owners manual the Cherokee can tow a 4500# trailer only if the frontal area is less than 32 sq-ft. That's going to be tough to do with most TT's out there which have frontal area's above 80 sq-ft. Your TT choice is wise if you can keep it's weight below 3500# loaded. I am a Jeep engineer PM me if you have questions....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
bobka7914 wrote:
Greetings!

New to this site today.

Yes!
First trailer was probably slightly smaller, maybe slightly less weight but it fit with the tow specs of a 4 cylinder Isuzu Trooper stick shift. Lots of stick shift. Always use the weight distribution hitch and sway control. Always do a walk-around at every stop and start, and always enjoy the voyage, the destination will take care of itself.
MPG is more dependent on speed since this not about aerodynamics, next it is dependent on weight, probably 60% speed, 20% weight with the rest spread over various efficiency and esoteric goobledygook. Faster you go the more power is required, I think it increases by a cubic factor, perhaps only the square but I am pretty sure it is closer to a cube when pulling a billboard and going from 50mph to higher speeds.
Have fun, if it is not fun do something different.

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
patricks99 wrote:
If you go with your setup, make sure you have a weight dist. hitch and sway control, I've seen Grand Cherokees having sway issues with 15-18ft trailers.

Agreed, I would never tow without Weight Distribution or Sway Control.

I've done it a few times around a campground to dump tanks, or moving the camper in the yard, and its amazing how much that camper can toss you around without them.

patricks99
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you won't have a lot of wiggle room and you definitely won't get very good mileage towing.

Like the previous poster, the average MPG I get towing is appx 12, but that is a 2500HD silverado with 6.6 duramax towing 7500lbs.

If you go with your setup, make sure you have a weight dist. hitch and sway control, I've seen Grand Cherokees having sway issues with 15-18ft trailers.

Community Alumni
Not applicable