cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Victron BMS 712 ?

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
In the victron 712 data sheet it states storage temperature from -20C to 50C . Where I live it gets a lot colder than -20C = -4F . I have called a distributor and they have no clue . Anyone have any insight as to what happens below -20C . Thanks
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed
18 REPLIES 18

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Ah , music to my ears . Thanks
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
My use and experience is the same as prairie campers, except our temps go to -40F. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I leave everything connected and powered up and use the Victron to check state of charge to make sure my solar is keeping the 2X12V AGM batteries up.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
The question was directed to time2roll , his response puzzled me and I donโ€™t think he is using the Victron monitor. Iโ€™m encouraged by your experience with cold weather. It seems you canโ€™t contact Victron directly, they advise contacting a distributor .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

prairie_camper
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
Is that from experience ? It would lose some value for me as I would like to monitor batteries in sub zero temps .

Not sure who the question is directed too. As I stated before I leave all electronics in the trailer all year long. I check battery charge level approximately once a week on the trimetric it works fine, I also have the smart battery sense from Victron which relays temp directly from the battery box to the charge controller about 8-10 feet away. Everything works fine and displays fine. I should also mention the charge controller is Bluetooth and I can check battery, temperature and solar panels from inside my house. Trailer is near house in driveway. The only issue I have is after a snowfall I have to sweep the snow off the panels as they are flat mounted on roof. And even that if snowing for a few days I donโ€™t clean off the panels until snowfall quits. I hope this helps your decision making. I also wrote to victron about the same concerns you have regarding the operating temperature. This was a few years ago and if I remember correctly the reply was the specs are what they where tested to but would work beyond that. They told me to google electronics and cold temperature operation to ease my mind, electronics donโ€™t mind cold itโ€™s heat that can harm.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might work fine. Keep your head on for irregularities.
Otherwise you would need to contact Victron directly. Distributer is not going to know much in most circumstances.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Is that from experience ? It would lose some value for me as I would like to monitor batteries in sub zero temps .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allow it to warm before you put it back in service or it may not function as expected.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that itโ€™s a battery chemistry issue (physics) which is of high significance...

3 tons

prairie_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I leave my batteries 2x6 volt, Victron charge controller, bogart battery monitor display, and television/entertainment system all in our trailer all winter for last 4-5 years with no problems and having temps go as low as -40C.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Mine worked fine below 0 degrees F. Here it is in my AF 811

I would expect that since their peramiter is -4 f to 122 f . My concern was for -20 or -30f .

Pianotuna mentioned -34 , that would cover it .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Mine worked fine below 0 degrees F. Here it is in my AF 811
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Iโ€™m good to go . Thanks all
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just remember, they are delivered in trucks that aren't heated. It will be fine. Mine is on my third winter, and I just checked it last weekend, and it works fine.

That goes for both the batteries and the Victron.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
ticki2 wrote:
Let me paint a better picture . The camper is stored outdoors for the winter . Temperatures will fall below -4 F many times , including the camper interior . The 3 stage converter is plugged in 24/7 to keep batteries charged to prevent freezing . So my question is how will that senarrio affect the Victron

Hi,

No need to float the batteries. Charge them for a week. Disconnect. Charge them 1 day per week there after.

I have no problems with any of my RV electrics at -37 c (-34 f)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.