cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIDEO: Part Two - Dude, Where's My Tow Truck?

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
VIDEO: Finally got the truck and camper hauled home.

It was going to be a long night waiting to get everything home but a call to insurance got the tow truck back and since it would take a long time to find a tow for the truck camper, My brother came through and delivered it home for me. He hauls the exact same truck camper on his truck so that worked out perfectly.

Right now, I'm looking at 3100 from Rock Auto with a 500 core return so 2600 for a 5.4 liter long block. I am also looking into the possibility of swapping a wrecking yard 6.2 liter gaser if the wire harness, engine mounts, and electronics can be made compatible with minimal hassle. Also the E4OD 4 speed transmission.

7 REPLIES 7

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm looking at PowerTrain Products and PowerSource both priced at 2599.00. PowerSource has free shipping and it looks like a Seattle warehouse. They both replace the sparkplug seats and install the improved oil pump.

PowerSource Includes as follows:
Our OEM remanufactured engines include:
New pistons, rings, timing components, freeze plugs, gasket sets, valve guides, lifters, oil pumps, rod bearings, main bearings and cam bearings

Crankshafts are reground, polished, and oil holes chamfered to rigid specifications

Connecting rods are checked for bend or twist, resized and honed to O.E.M. specifications

Valve seats are 3-angle cut for optimum sealing

All new .003" oversize valves for new valve and guide surfaces

Blocks are shot blast cleaned and magnafluxed to assure unseen cracks do not cause premature failure

Block deck and cylinder heads are resurfaced to assure proper sealing -- All blocks are Line honed

Engines are 100% functionally tested

New cams are used on flat tappet OHV applications

Fel-Pro is our primary gasket supplier

Though not listing assembly information, I assume PowerTrain Products is similar.

Got a couple more calls to make then ordering.
Keep you posted.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
The joys of rving. You definitely need to keep a few thousand handy at all times when travelling. Sorry about your luck. Let us know what the cause was. Thanks.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Honestly, that doesn't sound too bad for a fresh eng. - other than all the hard work!

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Well,That sucks...Sorry it happened..
c
I had a new 5.4 in 2008..It was a great truck and the engine seemed fine with plenty of power for towing..I read and read about the Ford 5.4 and it scared me to death..I finally bit the bullet and sold it because of all the things that have been happening to them..

Had that happened to me like it did you,I would probably do the same as your doing with a new long block although,if I had a very good mechanic around,I would have it rebuilt with lot's of upgraded stuff..

Good luck with your truck.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 6.8 would be a cool upgrade if it can be done.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
The 6.2 V8 gasser was not used in the SuperDuties until 2011 which means they are mated to the 6R140 automatic. I'm not sure if your transfer case is even compatible with it, but dash, wiring loom and ECU must be changed out and possibly relocate some engine and transmission mounts. You would have an easier time swapping in a 6.8 V10...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
They are 3k at Jegs built with better parts and they have a 1,000 off coupon going on right now