Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Viewing Hells Canyon from Idaho side UPDATE

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm asking this in several places.

Looking to spend nearly 3 weeks in Idaho prior to the total eclipse. I have some good ideas so far and trying to plan mostly mountain camping.

However... Hells Canyon seems like a must see gorge since it is deeper than the Grand Canyon. As I check out the Nez Perce forest map, one of the possibilities is to take FR 517 to Seven Devils Campground. Here are the issues or questions I have:

From the web site for the campground: "Forest Road 517 is very steep and narrow. Low clearance vehicles, RVs, and vehicles pulling trailers are not recommended OR advised to use caution when traveling the upper sections of this road".

I have a high clearance F350 that performs quite well as long as the road is not strewn with boulders, etc. Anyone have experience with getting a heavy TC in there?

Also, and this is even more discouraging: 10 tent-only campsites. Really????

If I can get my rig in there, why can't I camp in my TC there? If there is parking at a campsite, I'm usually good. Google satellite view looks very reasonable for a TC.

Do you think if I asked at the Riggins Hells Canyon Nat'l Rec Area office, they would be of any help?

Many Thanks in advance for your advice.

Rick

UPDATE:

Driving there is not a big issue for the most part. I got a nice reply from Karen to one of my posts and I read about the road in a book "Backcountry Roads Idaho" by Lynna Howard.

As far as the tent only aspect of Seven Devils campground, the Riggins office said that the nearby Windy Saddle campground can be used for trailers and TCs. People drive trailers in there all the time especially horse trailers. Windy Saddle is designed to support horses. Now I'm concerned about flies, etc. there.

Tent only camping is enforced in the Seven Devils. Didn't say why, just that is the way it is.

Rick
2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."
7 REPLIES 7

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Love the Sportsman Accesses... How great!

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
Bumped with update in original post
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Tim wrote:
Boondocks around Stanley. There are several good areas including the Yankee Fork, Challis Motorway, Just south of Redfish Lake before you get to Petit Lake, Meadow Lake, and the area around McKay. There is also the area along the Payette River. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a good campsite in Idaho!

I sorta can tell from my studies that camping is tops in Idaho.

Rick

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
Boondocks around Stanley. There are several good areas including the Yankee Fork, Challis Motorway, Just south of Redfish Lake before you get to Petit Lake, Meadow Lake, and the area around McKay. There is also the area along the Payette River. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a good campsite in Idaho!
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Check out Halfway, Or.... A great place to launch from.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having been there from the outher side...once and never again. Greater depth is the only comparison...not much to view. OK, I'm not a desert person but view it on Google first and that includes the road into the CG you are asking about.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I think your on track by calling the local office. Getting yanked out could be an expensive proposition.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu