cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Virginia Travel Trailer Inspection?

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
The VA DMV states that trailers over 3k gross weight that have brakes must be inspected yearly. Does anyone have experience with this process? Any suggestions on who would perform this service? Certainly not the corner service station.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH
14 REPLIES 14

Swolf
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan- Thank u very very much for the help.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Swolf wrote:
Hey there,

Question, I have a 2017, 5th wheel t@b outback camper made by nucamp. It weighs 2,000lb and is equipped with brakes. The law states the trailers and travel trailers under 3k lbs do not have to be inspected but, if equipped with breaks, inspection is required.

Iโ€™m in a bad spot as the camper isnโ€™t located anywhere near VA nor will it be for the next 6 months - its a long story... Any idea how I might have it play out in my favor when attempting to titlie? I guess I could simply state the breaks have been removed as in VA they are not required on a 2k trailer/travel trailers? Any ideas???

Thanks in advance,
Sanford

The requirement for brakes on a trailer in Virginia is that the gross weight of the trailer is 3000 lb or more (it used to be 2900 lbs or more). The gross weight is the empty dry weight of the trailer plus the amount of cargo the trailer is designed to carry. You need to check the weight sticker on the trailer for these weights. The title for the trailer where it is registered probably lists those weights which is what the Virginia DMV will go by.

If the empty dry weight is actually 2,000 lbs and the trailer is designed to carry up to 999 lbs of cargo, it does not need brakes and no inspection is required. You could legally remove the brakes and not mention it when titling the trailer in Virginia. As long as it does not have breaks you do not need an inspection. If you leave the brakes on the trailer it will require inspection because it has brakes, even though it doesn't meet the weight requirements. That said, if you do not have a large enough tow vehicle with enough braking capacity to stop itself plus the trailer, you should keep the brakes.

If the empty dry weight is actually 2,000 lbs and the trailer is designed to carry 1,000 pounds of cargo or more then you must have brakes and an inspection is required.

As far is titling the trailer, you can get the trailer titled whether it has brakes or not, so you don't even need to mention whether or not the trailer has them.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Swolf wrote:
Hey there,

Question, I have a 2017, 5th wheel t@b outback camper made by nucamp. It weighs 2,000lb and is equipped with brakes. The law states the trailers and travel trailers under 3k lbs do not have to be inspected but, if equipped with breaks, inspection is required.

Iโ€™m in a bad spot as the camper isnโ€™t located anywhere near VA nor will it be for the next 6 months - its a long story... Any idea how I might have it play out in my favor when attempting to titlie? I guess I could simply state the breaks have been removed as in VA they are not required on a 2k trailer/travel trailers? Any ideas???

Thanks in advance,
Sanford

You should start a new topic, you will get more responses that way. Also it is poor form to hijack someone's post.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Swolf
Explorer
Explorer
Hey there,

Thanks in advance,
Sanford

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
vtaero wrote:
Also as a note, antique vehicles don't need inspection. I love that about my old motorcycle. I certify that I will keep it safe. However I have a 10k mile per year limit and can't go more than 250 miles from home. It's ok for my old bike though. Just a thought for those that have vehicles over 25 years old.

X2 there are other restrictions as well on antique tagged vehicles in VA can not be driven daily or to work. Can only be driven for pleasure / parades / test driving etc. We have 3 cars with antique tags & 3 vehicles with standard tags. The antique tag is a permanent tag. See below

In VA small single axle utility trailers without bakes do not have to be inspected. Permanent tags are available for all trailers again based on gross weight.

or a vehicle to be defined as "antique," it must be 25 years old or older. If the vehicle is registered as an antique through the Department of Motor Vehicles, it is exempt from state inspection.

From the VASP website
Restrictions: Antique motor vehicles shall not be used for general transportation purposes, including, but not limited to, daily travel to and from the ownerโ€™s place of employment. Such vehicle may be operated on the highway for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events or for the purpose of testing their operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, transportation to and from the events earlier described, and for occasional pleasure drives, not to exceed 250 miles from the residence of the owner.

vtaero
Explorer
Explorer
Also as a note, antique vehicles don't need inspection. I love that about my old motorcycle. I certify that I will keep it safe. However I have a 10k mile per year limit and can't go more than 250 miles from home. It's ok for my old bike though. Just a thought for those that have vehicles over 25 years old.

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
Below is an excerpt from VA inspection law:

ยง 46.2-1158.01. Exceptions to motor vehicle inspection requirement.

A. The following shall be exempt from inspection as required by ยง 46.2-1157:

1. Four-wheel vehicles weighing less than 500 pounds and having less than 6 horsepower;

2. Boat, utility, or travel trailers that are not equipped with brakes;

You can read more here VA Inspection Exemptions

Rescue16
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Every year. Just got a fresh 5/15 sticker put on mine the other day. And for what it is worth, every vehicle that travels the highways in this state (save for "FARM USE") has to be inspected annually, not just trailers over 3,000 lbs or with brakes. It's for trailers under, cars, trucks, motorcycles, everything. Obviously what they check varies with the vehicle, but you gotta go get 'er done. Every year.

That is not a true Statement go to Virginia State Policy - Safety Division and look at the frequently asked questions:

I have a small trailer and I would like to know if it is required to be inspected.
It depends. If the "actual gross weight" is 3,000 pounds or more, it is required to have brakes and is required to be inspected. (The "actual gross weight" is the weight of the trailer plus the weight of any load that the trailer is carrying.) If the "actual gross weight" is less than 3,000 pounds, it is not required to be inspected; however, any trailer under 3,000 that is equipped with brakes is also required to be inspected.
Rescue 16 - United States Navy Retired and Proud
Lovely Wife Carla ๐Ÿ™‚
The Crew Alicia and Johnathan :B
The Camping Dog Kamp Chaos ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Keystone Cougar 32RBK
2006 Ford F350 Crew Cab Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take mine to a local state inspection station. They check the safety and brake lights, brake pads and tire thread. My trailer gets a VIRGINIA INSPECTION sticker on the trailer tongue. This is required once a year...

Sample PHOTO from google images showing where sticker is applied

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Every year. Just got a fresh 5/15 sticker put on mine the other day. And for what it is worth, every vehicle that travels the highways in this state (save for "FARM USE") has to be inspected annually, not just trailers over 3,000 lbs or with brakes. It's for trailers under, cars, trucks, motorcycles, everything. Obviously what they check varies with the vehicle, but you gotta go get 'er done. Every year.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
I always take my trailer to Reines at the end of the season and let them keep it as long as they like for general and annual maintenance type things. I have them inspect it while it's there.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick replies! It turns out the storage facility we use, Holly Acres in Woodbridge, does inspections. Guess I better get r done!
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
When I lived in Va. you took any vehicle that was required to have an inspection to a local inspection station. Most inspection stations were local service station or dealers that had been certified to do inspections.

The facility is certified by the State, the inspector is certified by the state and each station is monitored by an assigned State Police Officer.

The State Police Officer can pull the facility inspection license if they are nor inspecting vehicles per guidelines.

The have specific areas they are required to inspect on each vehicle.
This is a safety inspection and has nothing to do with looks.
Suspension parts, tires, brakes, lights, horns if applicable, windshields, etc.

Usually takes 30 min or less.

4famfun
Explorer
Explorer
any state inspection station can do it