cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want a rear bumper hitch receiver..

DatacomGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Want to add a 2" receiver to the rear bumper of my 280QBS. I have one of those hitch trays that hold up to 500lbs, and i want to be able to put my firewood, and various other stuff on it in a large tupperware storage bin. Also, i may end up getting a hitch-mounted bike rack down the road as the kids get older.

I know tons of people want to do this - but want to make sure i won't run in to any issues before i buy the bumper mount receiver from Curt or someone similar. Unit is a 31FT tandem axles. What types of problems or issues or concerns should i have before jumping in to this?
2015 Shadow Cruiser 280QBS | 2015 Ford Expedition XLT HD Tow
Equal-i-zer E4 12K# WDH
5 REPLIES 5

DatacomGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Great input.. Thanks Honda!
Equal-i-zer E4 12K# WDH

hondaCT90
Explorer
Explorer
I yanked an old old threat to life a while back..to thank the folks on this forum for their great advice, warning etc about this very topic.
I have a 1996 Nash 25 ft....I consulted with 2 very reputable welding/trailer companies who both felt that my trailer frame would handle my intended load..
Which is a small Honda trailer motorbike..weighs 190lb, plus the weight of the bike carrier that slides into the reese.
the welder shop did 2 cross beam arms that are several feet deep under the frame... I can't imagine carrying much more weight than the approxiamte 250lbs that is back there with this rig..the inertia of bumping up n down I'm guessing can double that actual weight.. not claiming knowledge..just my thoughts on it.
anyway..have just put a thousand miles on the road with my lil honda clinging to the rear...and all is well...now, some great guys here have warned the not all travel trailers are created equal...so for me to tell you that I'm fine, doesn't mean that your frame would be...get it to a shop that builds trailers from the ground up..that's where I went...let them put eyes on it and tell you what they think.
but these campers I see going down the road with that little clamp on adapter that just bolts over the rear hollow (sewer pipe holder) rear bumper...not good..yeah, it'll hold that spare tire...or if you remove that spare, it might handle 2 pedal bikes...but a whole cargo tray and goodies?...not me

DatacomGuy
Explorer
Explorer
alenk wrote:
I also wanted one on my Tracer. You have to have a solid weld bumper, and it still isn't strong enough to hold a receiver hitch. The bumper is way too thin to support it.
I waited until my warranty was out on my Tracer, and then did the following:
First, I installed a Hensley Arrow hitch on my travel trailer, then I beefed up the rear end like this:
I had a 2"x2" square tube (1/4" thick) welded to the bumper and the frame horns... even with the top of the bumper. Then the same 2x2 steel was welded to the frame just forward of the horns, and welded to the outer ends of the bumper. Then I added a 5/8" thick 2'x6" piece of steel to the top center. The receiver is welded to that.
That strengthened the rear where it is strong enough for the receiver. I now pull a 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer behind my Tracer Travel Trailer. With both trailers connected to my 2500HD Chevy, I'm just shy of 59 feet long, which is legal in TX, NM, & CO.
I wouldn't put a receiver on a Travel Trailer bumper without some added beef.

Wow, thats intense. Any pics?
Equal-i-zer E4 12K# WDH

alenk
Explorer
Explorer
I also wanted one on my Tracer. You have to have a solid weld bumper, and it still isn't strong enough to hold a receiver hitch. The bumper is way too thin to support it.
I waited until my warranty was out on my Tracer, and then did the following:
First, I installed a Hensley Arrow hitch on my travel trailer, then I beefed up the rear end like this:
I had a 2"x2" square tube (1/4" thick) welded to the bumper and the frame horns... even with the top of the bumper. Then the same 2x2 steel was welded to the frame just forward of the horns, and welded to the outer ends of the bumper. Then I added a 5/8" thick 2'x6" piece of steel to the top center. The receiver is welded to that.
That strengthened the rear where it is strong enough for the receiver. I now pull a 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer behind my Tracer Travel Trailer. With both trailers connected to my 2500HD Chevy, I'm just shy of 59 feet long, which is legal in TX, NM, & CO.
I wouldn't put a receiver on a Travel Trailer bumper without some added beef.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to check that you won't void your frame warranty if you add a 2" receiver to it.
I suggest you would need that IN WRITING from the Manufacturer.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.