cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water heater leak

Wyo_hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Just after I mistakenly turned on the water pump while the city water was hooked up I had a leak coming from the water heater. It was a jet of water coming from the insulation cover around the heater. GHas anyone ever experienced this?
7 REPLIES 7

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
You have a simple leak at the water heater, either a fitting connection or at the tank
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
One of my previous TTs had a water leak - behind its hot water tank. Turned out to be a loose fitting - that probably became loose from normal road vibrations and/or trailer's natural twisting. I simply hand tightened the pipe connection again (maybe 1/2 turn) and the leak immediately stopped. Have you performed visual inspection of the back of your HW tank area via little mirror on end of a telescope rod? Just wondering...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
As noted......pump on at same time hooked up to city water is a NON-ISSUE

Leak from insulation cover means it is on backside of water heater so I would also suspect a water line fitting/nipple

But more info/details would be helpful
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Have not had a water heater leak. Must take insulation off to locate the leak.
Your water pump had nothing to do with it.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Why I'm curious about the age and make of HWH. Sounds like a failed fitting but could be a failed tank as well.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Turning on the water pump while connected to city water will not hurt anything. It sounds like you have a leak at one of the fittings where the water lines connect to the water heater. You need to get a good look at where that stream of water originates.

Do you have a pressure regulator on your city water connection? I have seen water pressure as high as 110 PSI at campgrounds. You should have a pressure regulator to keep the water pressure around 50 PSI, or whatever pressure your water pump shuts off at.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Little more information would be helpful like age of unit and make of heater...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB