cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water lines in the winter bad tatste

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years i have used Rv antifreeze but it as seems to have left a bad taste in the water lines and a lite smell. Is this normal??
So we carry bottle water to drink.
Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
After flushing and sanitizing in the spring I fill once more and add a quart o white vinegar , run it through all the lines including the WH . Let it sit overnight or longer , drain everything and refill . Nice fresh water I use for everything including cooking and drinking.

x2

This works like a charm for me as well.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
What I always find interesting is that commercial bread bakers use the same glycol in RV antifreeze as a dough extender so if you eat sponge bread, you are eating it....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
We blow out the lines with compressed air, 25 to 30 psi, opening the valves and faucets one at a time until no more water comes out. Then we disconnect the water pump, let it drain and stay disconnected. Finally, we put in antifreeze, but only in the drains. So the fresh water tank and lines are never exposed to the antifreeze.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
In my experience no amount of flushing ever 100% gets rid of it. I flush 3-4 full fresh tanks of water through the system, and still have a heavy antifreeze smell, especially the hot water. You can almost shower without burning your eyes about halfway through the summer. By the time it gets tolerable it's time to winterize again.

I really don't have a good way to winterize the camper. No winterizing kit on the pump, and no bypass on the water heater.

Not going to install them, either. Too risky. Had too many problems trying to change things in the plumbing. Leaks, broken fittings from when the pex goes "sproing" and won't flex back to reconnect.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Antifreeze followed by bleach sanitizing always left a smell/taste, until I discovered white vinegar like tiki2.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a couple different "flavors" of RV antifreeze. I am not sure who makes what but there is one that makes me sick smelling it. VERY sweet and a flavor added that I cannot identify that gives me a headache even if it is just in the drain traps.

Once winter is over I add a half tank of fresh water to the water tank (I do not add any antifreeze to the tank so no having to get this out), then I pump that through the system to clean out the lines. Then I add a cup or two of bleach and fill up the tank to the overflow and pump this through the lines then leave it sit for a day or two. Then I drain all the water out and flush with fresh water, when I no longer smell bleach I open the hot water bypass valves.

Between leaving the system over the winter in the freezing cold and the bleach every spring the system is drinkable. Then I only fill up where I know that the water is good. I also keep water in the fridge as I like cold water but will take that out of the RV tank without a problem.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with adamis. We have a separate 5 gallon collapsible container for water we drink and if we run out, we boil water from the main tank. This is an old habit of ours from drinking lake water in Canada.

However, I do make sure I sanitize the tank and lines at least twice a year with bleach. Once when I clean the lines of antifreeze in the spring and again in the summer.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Personally I don't trust the water tank for drinking water unless it's been boiled. I've not gotten the chance to open my Bigfoot water tank compartment from the bottom but I have worked on the top where the water inlet goes into the tank and I can see plenty of mold growing inside the tubing. Trying to clean it out seems near impossible as mold tends to just stick to surfaces extremely well no matter what is flushed down it.

As much as I hate the added waste (little kids are the worse for finishing!), we bring a case of bottled water with us and keep the fridge stocked as necessary. I suppose if I was full timing I'd go through the effort to really clean the tanks or install a filter on the tap as buying bottled water isn't cost effective long term.

On anecdotal evidence, I don't know if what grows inside of a tank is necessarily bad for consumption by humans to begin with. I certainly wouldn't make a habit of it but before we were city dewlling, kale eating, herbivours we once ate red meat and drank the water from the local creeks without worrying about what the deer upstream just did in it. Again, wouldn't make a habit of it but I think only on the very rare instance will it actually kill you.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
I don't winterize the camper, but on the boat I blow all the lines out with compressed air and drain the water heater. There remain a couple of places where the water cannot be blown out, in those places I pour in some Vodka. In the spring, doesn't taste bad at all!
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
We've never had a problem unless my smeller isn't so good anymore. After flushing out the antifreeze in the Spring and sanitizing with bleach and flushing it out there is no aftertaste or smell. But we also use bottled water for coffee and drinking.

X2

X3 our water sucks anyway
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
We've never had a problem unless my smeller isn't so good anymore. After flushing out the antifreeze in the Spring and sanitizing with bleach and flushing it out there is no aftertaste or smell. But we also use bottled water for coffee and drinking.

X2

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of fresh water tank! I hate that it never completely drains dry.
My unit was only about 1 year old when we visited the factory for a fridge issue. While there we had them install one of those screw-in clean-out hatches on the top of our FW tank. You would not believe the amount of nastiness inside! There was lots of crud, including curly plastic shavings from install/drilling for fittings. No wonder there was always a bad taste, even after bleaching/flushing in spring.
We still use a Brita pitcher for drinking water since you never quite know what the water quality is in various scenic places.
I highly recommend the clean-out if you can access your tank. Now I can wipe everything dry and clean.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
After flushing and sanitizing in the spring I fill once more and add a quart o white vinegar , run it through all the lines including the WH . Let it sit overnight or longer , drain everything and refill . Nice fresh water I use for everything including cooking and drinking.
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed