cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pump question.

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer
The water pump was not mounted when I bought my TT recently. I did find it in the TT. I hooked it up to the tank and tested it with a battery and it worked.

Does it matter how it is mounted? I screwed it to the wall with the motor up and the pump part at the bottom. Is this alright? Will it cause any issues in the future?

Thanks!

Jeff
10 REPLIES 10

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I have my pump enclosed in a foam block with rubber hose attached to the inlet and outlet.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
A good pump should be able to prime itself while above water level. Sometimes you have to open a faucet so it does not build air pressure in the system before it primes. As far as wiring - the red on the pump needs to be attached to the + positive wire at the wall. You will need a volt meter to tell which one it is.

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer
No, it is a 1983 TT that I recently bought. It had some leaking/water damage issues where the water pump is mounted and I thought that is why the pump had been removed. The previous owner put a new floor down throughout the whole trailer. I tested the pump outside the trailer to make sure it worked. When I first tested it, it was above the water level and did not prime itself. Once I lowered the pump below the water level in the tank, it pumped fine.

Maybe I need to fill the tank up because that will make the water level above the pump inlet.

Jeff

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
jmartin99 wrote:
Okay, I got the pump installed and filled the tank up a little over half full. I am not exactly sure how to hook up the wires. I have a white wire and a blue wire coming out of the wall. The pump has a red wire and a black wire. I have tried it both ways and it does not appear to be priming itself. I am assuming it would try to push water back into the tank if the wires are not hooked up the way they are supposed to be.
I then took the hose coming from the tank off and sucked until I got water and then put it back on the pump and it still would not pump. Any ideas on how to get it to prime itself?

Thanks!

Jeff

Humm,,,, I don't have a lot of info here as to why your pump was not mounted. Is this a new TT? or, a used one your bought? If a used TT I wonder if the reason it wasn't mounted is because it doesn't work?
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I got the pump installed and filled the tank up a little over half full. I am not exactly sure how to hook up the wires. I have a white wire and a blue wire coming out of the wall. The pump has a red wire and a black wire. I have tried it both ways and it does not appear to be priming itself. I am assuming it would try to push water back into the tank if the wires are not hooked up the way they are supposed to be.
I then took the hose coming from the tank off and sucked until I got water and then put it back on the pump and it still would not pump. Any ideas on how to get it to prime itself?

Thanks!

Jeff

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
For the least noise mount the pump on a solid surface and have a section of hose between the pump and the rigid tubing used for the rest of the plumbing. The pump should have rubber mounting feet. Do not over tighten the mounting screws.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
there somehow to reduce the vibrations.

Mouse pads were my friends, worked pretty good. Then also used rubber "well nuts". Still more noise than I want.
Next step I'm going to extend hose see "Shurflow Pump Silencing Kit"
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin,
Yes, I have a shurflo pump.

Dick,
Yeah, I think I am going to remove it from the paneling and mount a piece of plywood in there somehow to reduce the vibrations. I will figure it out.

Thanks!

Jeff

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Sometime when a pump is screwed to paneling the wood vibrates like a drum and the pump becomes noisy because of that. Attaching it to more substantial wood is better. Isolating it from the wood is even better but difficult to do because of the small spaces where the pumps are typically located.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

7happycampers
Explorer
Explorer
I dont know what pump you have but according to the Shurflo website the pumps can be mounted in any position.

Shurflo Pumps

Kevin & Crew
Kevin

Jenny Our Angel Remembering Jenny
Abbie (Rescued Treeing Walker Coonhound)
Guido (Rescued Italian Greyhound)Remembering Guido
Kendall (Rescued Border Collie)
Piper (Rescued Border Collie)
My dog isn't spoiled..........He just smells that way.