cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water treatment when hooked up to sewer

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
When I have my TT hooked up to sewer, should I still be using the treatment pods in the blackwater tank?
Minnesota Viking fan trapped in Wisconsin
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19BH
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500, Ext Cab, 5.3L Z71, 4x4
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV
23 REPLIES 23

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
Last week was the first time I ever camped at a spot with full hookups. I only have a 19 footer and we as a rule never even go #2 in it anyway. We always have used the camp facilities for that.

That is why I come here and ask questions when I am unsure.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
KMLsquared wrote:
old guy wrote:
esox07 wrote:
LOL.

Can a guy just put a half cup of bleach in the tank with some water?
that's a big no. bleach will cause the acid in the urine to give off a bad odor and it's not good for your lungs

I find this interesting as I work in a waste water treatment plant that uses thousands of gallons of bleach to treat waste water everyday.

X2, I also find it interesting that the op has been here since 2012 and does not know to leave black tank valve closed.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

KMLsquared
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
esox07 wrote:
LOL.

that's a big no. bleach will cause the acid in the urine to give off a bad odor and it's not good for your lungs

I find this interesting as I work in a waste water treatment plant that uses thousands of gallons of bleach to treat waste water everyday.
2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I like the additive that makes it smell like you pooped in a lemon tree.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I leave both the black and grey waste valves closed, put in chemical treatment and dump into the sewer when I think they are close to full. My theory is that method keeps them flushed out and the grey water is needed to follow the black and help flush. I think the chemical helps with odor mostly.
Jayco-noslide

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
esox07 wrote:
So, I should keep the blackwater tank closed even when we have sewer hookups? And then simply open the valve and dump it every so often while camping?

Yes.

If you leave it open all the time, the liquids will drain out continually and leave a big solid pile. If the tank is full when you open the valve, there is enough flow to carry out most of the solids. I recommend you dump only when close to full, and then re-fill the tank with clean water, through a hose or flush valve, and dump again.

Also, never leave the tank totally dry...add at least a couple of gallons of water so the bottom is covered.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
MitchF150 wrote:
I don't even hook up my sewer hose until I'm ready to dump.. I'm a little bit different in my dump tank usage than the majority of others here, so this just works for me...

Good luck!

Mitch

Same here!
The way we do it we'll only have to handle the slinky once!

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
Valves closed and a daily scoop of Happy Camper in each tank. I never notice a stench even when dumping.

Went to look at a camper a few years back which the owners had on a seasonal site. He opened the door and the stench was like a roundhouse kick to the head. Turns out he forgot to close the grey valve when he was last there two weeks earlier. The traps had dried out and a the septic system was now venting into the camper.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
esox07 wrote:
So, I should keep the blackwater tank closed even when we have sewer hookups? And then simply open the valve and dump it every so often while camping?

YES! Wait until the black tank is 2/3 to 3/4 full before dumping, and if not at these levels when you are ready to leave and need to dump, add water until it is. You need plenty of water to better assure all the stuff flows out, but in fact it never gets it all.

I would suggest that you NOT keep the grey valve open all the time either and only open it when required or when washing clothes if you have a washing machine. While many say itโ€™s only grey water, but there is stuff in the water such as soap, food, hair that if allowed to dry could cause some issues. Rare, but it does happen.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I will keep the valves closed until it is dump time and I will stick with the RV treatment stuff.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
The bottles of toilet chemicals only cost a couple of dollars. Is it worth saving $2 and having a poop problem? I will dump my chemicals in and use the toilet as designed and not suffer from black tank constipation.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
esox07 wrote:
LOL.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't even hook up my sewer hose until I'm ready to dump.. I'm a little bit different in my dump tank usage than the majority of others here, so this just works for me...

I use the little blue pods in my black tank and in the end, my grey tank reeks more than than my black tank...

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Not applicable
IMO, keep both black and gray closed until ready to dump. If you don't like to pull the valves often, get electric valves installed and push a button.
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy