cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

waterproofing slide floor

bamaboy
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my 12 ft slide floor replaced due to water damage and it was pretty expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to waterproof the new floor? inside especially which means no flexseal type products which arent healthy for indoor use.. I've read a ton of Articles and not really found a satisfactory suggestion.

TT is a 30 ft Coleman which I live in full time.
22 REPLIES 22

bamaboy
Explorer
Explorer
unfortunately the water damage occurred while I was having emergency brain surgery in Florida in the middle of a pandemic, followed by 2 months of f radiation and chemo. While I was stuck in Florida the RV was home in Texas with the slide extended when a big storm apparently hit. The good news is the surgery and subsequent radiation and chemo turned out very well. But by the time I got home the floor was rotted out. I was thinking that if I had waterproofed the floor the damage wouldn't have been as bad.

I appreciate your comments about not sealing the floor. That makes sense.

I will tell you to be thankful for what you have. When you are a 20 year old you feel invincible. When you are 65 and one emergency surgery and a few hours away from death, you get a new appreciation for the things that are important.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
How did the water damage occure to begine with? From inside? Usally the floor is pre treated at the factory and no sealant is recomended? Did you use marine grade plywood or normal? If just sealing the top paint or varnish it. I wouldn't do both sides. The idea is that the wood breathes and drys out on its own. My knowlage is based on pop ups ( bed slides) and my TT with a bed slide. But they never recomended sealing the wood, that was a big no no.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
First thing I would do is caulk around all the edges, joints, etc that you can get to. Use Dicor non-levelling. Then a good quality exterior water-based polyurethane like Varathane It's not cheap but you don't need tons. Check the caulking and possibly reapply the poly annually.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

bamaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Since the new floor is already installed, any suggestions on how to get to the edges to seal them?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Plywood will already be a lot better then OSB. You could use a outdoor spar varnish. Usually the water wicks into the wood from the edges and not the top or bottom.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to any tile store, Home Depot or Lowes and get a gallon of waterproof material like Aquadefense. Roll it on, then put your new carpet down.

bamaboy
Explorer
Explorer
It's plywood. I'm hoping someone can share some experience good or bad with specific products.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what the new floor is made of.
If you have to stay in it, whatever you use will just about have to be water based.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch