cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We were hit by lightning!!!

aepowell
Explorer
Explorer
We were camping on Lake Texhoma this past weekend an had a very bad storm. The winds were 60 plus. I opened the camper door to see if my awning stakes were holding and lightning hit my christmas lights that i had strung around my camp site. It made a huge fireball and scared the daylights out of me. It didn't take me long to get my head back inside. The camper lost all power. I was able to get the ac going but the fridge, tv, and power converter was toast. I had to replace the gfi plug in the bathroom to get the 110 otlets working. The light strings were blown into 15 or more different pieces. All the male and female plugs as well as most of the light sockets were no where to be found. I got up Thursday morning to go to town and found that my new ram had been hit also. My radio,power windows,ac, and folding mirrows would not work. I took it to the dealership and they were able to get the ac, and radio to work again with a new flash. It blew out the power window module and its on a national back order. They don't know when it will be available. I feel pretty blessed that it was not worse than it was.
Anthony & Margie Powell
Sherman,Tx.
2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B
2013 Ram Slt Lonestar(yea its got a HEMI)
16 REPLIES 16

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
we had lightning hit 3 trees right next to our garage. We were camping at the time and lost the trees, and garage door opener. tree shrapnel was spread 50 feet.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

aepowell
Explorer
Explorer
Awning held up fine.We were at an angle to the wind so it didn't get the full force of the wind.
Anthony & Margie Powell
Sherman,Tx.
2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B

rustycopperball
Explorer
Explorer
Was your awning still up???

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
i'm surprised you didn't make any mention of having to change your pants.

😄
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

real4u2c
Explorer
Explorer
Partner, glad your safe, there is little to nothing that can truly withstand a direct lightning strike! Darn lucky you are, that it only took out your truck stuff and rv equipment. Surprised the static shock didn't knock you down.
Retired Marine with Retired Navy woman2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37 C, Workhorse p32 chassis, 8.1l gas engine.

Hoosierdaddy47
Explorer
Explorer
We had a tree 30' from the house hit by lightning last year the day AFTER a camping trip and that scared the bejabbers out of us. Can't even imagine the noise from an awnings' width away! (BTW, no wires were hit, but it popped two breakers in the house and cooked a logic board in one of the garage door openers!) Glad you are all okay.
2004 Antigua 215 SB
2006 Durango Adventurer Hemi
Tekonsha Prodigy P3
DW-Indeterminate age
DD-16
DS-13
Olivia-Torkie
Balthazar-Italian Greyhound
Check my group (NOT page!) on Facebook-Hybrid Travel Trailer Camping

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds terrifying! So glad you're ok, everything else can be replaced.
2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Glad you guys are okay! You were certainly blessed!

No matter how many gadgets and precautions we take, there are things that remind us we are not in charge 😉

aepowell
Explorer
Explorer
classicdude wrote:
My gosh, this sounds terrifying! Were you pretty much out in the open, or were you surrounded by trees? Did you have surge protection (if so, it must have not protected)? How the heck did your awning ever survive? I know, lots of questions, but inquiring minds want to know! Glad you weren't hurt! I tend to obsess when storms approach...

Yes we were surrounded by trees. I had a surge protector hooked to the Christmas tree lights. I use those dog stakes that screw into the ground and extra large awning deflappers. I hold it down with tie down straps.
Anthony & Margie Powell
Sherman,Tx.
2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend of mine down the street here was looking out of his front window of the house during a bad storm and lightning struck his car sitting in the driveway. The whole car took on the blue glow for abit and it finally faded away... After the storms passes he went to check out the car - totally dead - no lights - no battery power - no nothing. He had to use the key in the door to unlock it.. The dealer took it to the shop and replaced a whole bunch of stuff to get it going again. All three car computers were dead - alternator was arced over. I guess any electronic controls inside was taken out.

Of course you have always heard since the cars have rubber tires you will be OK in one if it got struck by lightning.

On the RV trailers I guess the only earth ground you have is through the pedestal... Don't have any choice I guess if you happen to be in one when lightning strikes...

Glad you all safe - We have been to Lake Texhoma many times back in our Wichita Falls days... Those North Texas storms do get to jumping around there...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
60 mph winds and you were only worried about your awning that you left down??

As someone else said while at the dealer have them check everything, and I mean everything, to make sure they are operating correctly...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
That is one crazy storm for sure. Good to hear you are able to post this. Rams are tough trucks, but I did not realize they could take on lightning.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
classicdude wrote:
Did you have surge protection (if so, it must have not protected)?

My friend, no surge protector made will save you from a direct hit by lightning. Nor will all the open switches in the world save your electrical gear. A spark capable of jumping hundreds if not thousands of feet won't be stopped by the lousy 1/4 inch gap in an open wall switch.

I, too, am glad no one was injured, and surprised only by the fact that anything electrical in the truck or the trailer is still usable. And I'll bet it did give the OP a thrill.

mitechie
Explorer
Explorer
That's crazy. Glad to hear you're safe and sound. /me goes to look into surge protectors for the trailer.
2016 Jayco Eagle 284bhbe
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn with Cummings Diesel