cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We were shocked to learn our newly purchased TT

Matt1221
Explorer
Explorer
Is it true that a 2020 keystone hideout 338lhs could only have a gas water heater?? That's what the lady who showed us the features of the trailer said, but I wasn't 100% sure she knew what she was talking about cause then in the same breath said 'but the outside is electric"
67 REPLIES 67

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing I would do is check the water heater spec if I didn't trust the person sales person.

Mine is gas/electric, it runs about 20 minutes in the morning on either and we are set till we do dishes. With just two of us, it is maybe on e a day.

Since we pay for electric, that is what I prefer to use.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you know that Camco makes an electric water heater conversion kit?

11673 camco water heater conversion kit

The price is very reasonable. Amazon currently has thee kit for $67. The instructions show it as being a pretty simple add on. Youtube has a 20 minute video on installing the kit.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

pnichols wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
2oldman wrote:
It's just lovely parked next door to one of those when it fires up at 3am.

If you can hear the sound of gas HW heater firing up at night, you need better insulation in your trailer.

No ... 2oldman doesn't need better insulation.

His neighbor needs to learn to have their propane water heater turned on A LOT LESS. i.e. ... Only turn it on maybe - once or twice during daylight hours - and then for maybe only 45 minutes each time.

This will both reduce propane consumption for the neighbor and help 2oldman get a better nights sleep.

(I'm convinced that many RV owners out there don't REALLY know how to use them for good politeness, good efficiency, and good long term reliability.)

It amazes me that there are that many people that camp who have issues with almost everything others do...

too many lights, not enough lights, AC too loud, radio on, outside tv, dogs, kids, Now a loud water heater...

jeez.... I guess maybe they should camp somewhere NOWHERE close to civilization ...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

babock
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

His neighbor needs to learn to have their propane water heater turned on A LOT LESS. i.e. ... Only turn it on maybe - once or twice during daylight hours - and then for maybe only 45 minutes each time.

This will both reduce propane consumption for the neighbor and help 2oldman get a better nights sleep.

(I'm convinced that many RV owners out there don't REALLY know how to use them for good politeness, good efficiency, and good long term reliability.)

He may have a tankless water heater that will fire up everytime a hot water faucet is turned on. They are significantly louder than an ordinary tank water heater.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
First world problems...oh my goodness.
Ours is propane only, last thing to turn on when setting up, first to turn off when breaking camp.
No one has ever complained.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
2oldman wrote:

How much noise does s water heater make?

Likely a lot less than when he fires up his three generators...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
cavie wrote:
Matt1221 wrote:
Is it true that a 2020 keystone hideout 338lhs could only have a gas water heater?? That's what the lady who showed us the features of the trailer said, but I wasn't 100% sure she knew what she was talking about cause then in the same breath said 'but the outside is electric"

Go outside and remove the cover and tell us the model # of the heater.

THAT would be easy and logical

Suburban GAS Only-------SW6D (SW10D)

Suburban GAS/ELECTRIC---SW6DE (SW10DE)

*SW (Suburban Water Heater
*6,10,12 etc (Gallon capacity)
*D (Direct Ignition---electronic spark)
*E (Electric 1440W element)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
There's several kits available to make a gas water heater work on electric. The element fits in the drain plug.Then you can use either gas or electric.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Complaining about the neighbors furnace or water heater in a campground is like buying a house next to the freeway and complaining about traffic noise.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Water pump was considerably louder than furnace on previous trailer.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
They don't. Turn them on, leave them on. Perhaps many are hard of hearing.

I'm parked across the street from a newish Montana High Country 5er. One morning I heard what sounded like a freight train coming through. I followed the sound to find it was his furnace. Dunno about his WH, but man, I've never heard a furnace make a roar like that.

Fortunately it's not very cold these days.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
2oldman wrote:

If you can hear the sound of gas HW heater firing up at night, you need better insulation in your trailer.

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
It would be nice to have the electric option, but the gas heater has been fine for us.

Our first 5th wheel trailer was a new 1984 Aljo that came equipped with the jet roar LP only.

Bought and installed a Hott Rod which installs in the drain plug. No more hot water tank roar.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
My Jayco came with a gas only water heater, but the SLX is a base model anyway, I had the dealer change it out for a gas/electric before I picked it up. Wasn’t a big deal.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Matt1221 wrote:

Go outside and remove the cover and tell us the model # of the heater.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.