Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight distribution hitch

kohana
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
I am thinking on putting my 5th wheel on a permanent summer site and getting a small TT to still be able to travel some.
I’m thinking on a 18-21 foot rig. I will tow it with my 3/4tn Ram diesel. Do I want/need a weight distribution hitch?
Also other than the gross wt advantage do I want single or double axel?
Thanks for any information as I have only towed a 5th wheel
Kohana
2006 Ram 2500 Cummins, 6 sp manual, pacbrake
2011 Montana Mountaineer 335RET, Mor/ryde PB
Trailersaver BD3 hitch--Smooth ridin'
12 REPLIES 12

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
kohana wrote:
Hi all
I am thinking on putting my 5th wheel on a permanent summer site and getting a small TT to still be able to travel some.
I’m thinking on a 18-21 foot rig. I will tow it with my 3/4tn Ram diesel. Do I want/need a weight distribution hitch?
Also other than the gross wt advantage do I want single or double axel?
Thanks for any information as I have only towed a 5th wheel
Kohana

For a trailer that size, I'd want a dual axle. I'm not sure I've ever seen something 18+ feet long that was only single axle.

WD Hitch - yes.
My experience: I've done 4 trips so far this year with my 3500HD dually towing a Nash 17k. I hadn't reinstalled the torsion bar clips after winter projects, so 3 of the 4 trips were without the WD Hitch. The ride was somewhat annoying, so last weekend I reinstalled them and used the WD Hitch. The ride was much better. All 4 trips were the same route.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Les_Balty
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a Springdale 1750RD. Towed with my F250 SD without WD hitch. Tows great. A lot easier than 40' Montana. The Springdale is our run about (man cave, fishing cabin). The Springdale is a single axle trailer too! Hardly know it's there.
Les Balty

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
You can always buy a WD hitch after a trip or two if you feel the combo needs one.

Having pulled 14'-16' 10k enclosed trailers too and from changing job sites for hundreds of thousands of miles no way I would mess with a single axle trailer.
Our first enclosed trailers were single axle but myself and other drivers who pulled them didn't like them so I switched to tandem axle trailers. Cargo/enclosed trailers were used as our job site tool trailers.
Two axle/4 wheels braking.
Much longer service life from 4 tires vs 2 tires.
The tandem axle trailers required less hitch weight for a good ride.
Much less worries about load balance. We pulled these trailers with our 3/4 and one ton DRW trucks and I can tell you a 10k single axle enclosed trailer make for a kidney pounding ride if the trailer wasn't loaded just right. Tandem axle trailers cured that issue.

I would suggest a tandem axle trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tow a 17' single axle behind my supercrew long bed F150 and do not need a WDH. The trailer is light and the truck is long. With a larger, heavier TT I would get the WDH.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
When I switched from 2 axle to single axle trailers, my nail and screw penetration incidents were reduced to about 1/5 of previous. Seemed like the front tires would kick the little buggers upright and the rear tires would get stabbed.

I don't generally use WD or sway control with a 16' or 17' trailer, but with a 20' or longer it might be more advisable to have some sway control. In any event you want to make sure hitch weight is 10%-15% of total trailer weight, and this "should" keep sway from happening.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
At the very least, receivers usually have a 500 lb max rating without a WDH. Maybe you *could* get away without one but may find it tows better and driving is more comfortable with one. A basic round bar WDH doesn't cost much and isn't hard to set up and unhook/hook up.

Our first TT was 20' and had dual axles and weighed 5,000 lbs fully loaded. I wouldn't get a single axle trailer unless you were weight restricted and towed with a small SUV. Note that factory dry weights should be ignored and when shopping, go by the GVWR and use 12-13% for tongue wt. Then take it to a scale after you own it.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
on a 3/4t Probably not. I'd guess I'm every bit of 600 lbs on my 1/2 ton. It tows fine without WD, but it does make it a little bit better handling.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
General rule is you should have a WDH if the TT weighs 50% or more of the TV. Double axles have lots of advantages. Easy tire changes are one.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
You probably won’t need one, but I would.
For that size trailer, look into an Andersen Hitch. More expensive than standard bars but worth it down the road.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I run one with my short TH with a ~1000lb tongue. The WD helps with the porpoising when going over rough road such as bridge transitions or frost heaves.

My '05 has a soft sprung rear axle. The rough spots in the road aren't a white knuckle experience, just bouncy, similar to having worn shocks.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you don't exceed the weight rating of the hitch on the truck. Will the ride in the truck be improved with a WD hitch, yes.

I did the same thing and have a large seasonal and bought a small 17 foot trailer to travel. I tow with a F-350 Diesel. My tongue weight is extremely heavy for a 17 foot trailer at 1250# and requires a WD hitch.

You can try it without (as long as receiver weight is not exceeded) and see if it's satisfactory. I use a WD hitch with sway control and feel it's worth it for the improved ride on a long trip.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have a lot of experience but feel you do need the weight distribution and sway control. It will help prevent "chucking" of the trailer and give you a smoother ride, compared to a trailer on a ball and nothing more.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.