cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Distribution Hitch

b_rharmon
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a very slightly used trailer, Forest River Evo T2460RL. I am working on getting my head wrapped around all the differences from our previous experiences, you can see below what we were camping with. Currently our tow vehicle is 2016 F150 with tow package.

One issue, weight distribution hitch. I purchased and installed Centerline TS hitch rated for 12,000 lbs. which is overkill for our trailer 7,800 dry weight, and installed per instructions.

My question, is antisway bars are very noisy popping and squeaking with each turn, videos on u tube show this to be a quiet hitch. Height of brackets per instructions, truck lowered 1" front and back equally, bars are a little hard to put on even when raising the truck with trailer per instructions. Is this normal? Or do I have a problem with my installation?

Thank you for your input.
Bill DH
Renee DW
Bumper & Willie (furkids)
2002 F250 4X4 V10 W/Tow Option
2002 Coleman Seapine
23 REPLIES 23

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Boy did you go backwards! F250 V-10 and a tent trailer to an F150 and a 7k lb TT!

Yes do some proper lubing and all should be good!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

b_rharmon
Explorer
Explorer
I have the manual, thank you all for your input. More questions to come, I guess I have to change my signature info, the F250 and tent trailer are gone, I sure miss that truck.

Thanks again
Bill DH
Renee DW
2002 Coleman Seapine

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
DO NOT GREASE the spring bar trailer frame mounts!

Husky says otherwise. From the installation manual:

"Keep lift brackets clean, and using a light lubrication on the lift bracket support surfaces to keep rust to a
minimum is acceptable."

I lube mine, it works fine.

Manual here.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT GREASE the spring bar trailer frame mounts! THAT is a large part of the built in anti sway.
Yes, it is a noisy hitch. It can sound like some metal piece snapped in half on a right angle turn in town! BUT the hitch does a great job distributing weight and controlling sway as designed and desired. I do not recall the spring bar capacities available for this hitch. I use the 400-600# rated ones with my TT, 3877GTWR, 473# tongue weight only time CAT scaled mathematically calculated
Download the WDH manual available on line, if you don't already have a hard copy. Review the setup procedure and check your measurements.
The Husky Centerline TS was my first WDH. I learned a lot with it and about it and am continuing to use it happily. It was a must with my previous TV. Really optional with the new TV but I prefer to use it still for a more comfortable tow with little sway concern.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same hitch, and it is noisy when I first start out, but then it is fine after driving a bit. It is also rusting in the contact areas for the bars, but I figured that greasing them would defeat the action of preventing the sway control, so haven't done it. Looks bad though. Pulls good down the road though.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

b_rharmon
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer we have Evo T2460RL, (so far we think this floor plan is great); Hitch weight listed 750Lbs. and GVWR 7750. I guess I figured the GVWR to be the dry weight which would be increased by fluids, personal items, propane and batteries. Anyway I wanted to hitch to be more than adequate. "spring bars" which also control sway are specified as 800lbs.

On turning at slow speed we hear popping, figured it to be the spring bars sliding in their cradles. definitely can see some wear in the cradle where they slide during turns.

Thank you to all who took time to respond, there will be more appeals for advised in the near future.

Bill
Bill DH
Renee DW
2002 Coleman Seapine

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe the 7800lb dry weight number, please recheck. Only the very largest trailer in the EVO line has a figure that high.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
On the hitch size. A 7800lb dry trailer will weigh at least 9500lbs loaded for a trip. That would give a properly loaded tongue weight of 1200+ lbs. the 1200/12,000 lb hitch is necessary.

At that weight no hitch is going to be quiet. You will get some popping and screeching!

Not familiar with your hitch either. I ran a Reese 1200/12,000lb Dual Cam (centerline) hitch. It made noise but wasn't bad. My suspension was far noisier than he hitch until I rebuilt the springs with bronze sleeves and wet bolts. After that I could pull into a campground with the WD still engaged and it was quiet.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My question, is antisway bars are very noisy popping and squeaking with each turn, videos on u tube show this to be a quiet hitch. Height of brackets per instructions, truck lowered 1" front and back equally, bars are a little hard to put on even when raising the truck with trailer per instructions. Is this normal? Or do I have a problem with my installation?

After hooking the trailer I found driving the trucks rear wheels up on a ramp (5") I made from cut off 5"X 6" barn poles and then raising the front jack helps a bunch. This is a 10k bumper pull car hauler. These type trailers deck sit low which makes using the bar tool impossible depending on terrain. With the blocks I can now get the pry tool under the bars.
I use the Husky Centerline TS with 800-1200 lb bars and seems pretty quiet.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
b&rharmon wrote:
We purchased a very slightly used trailer, Forest River Evo T2460RL. I am working on getting my head wrapped around all the differences from our previous experiences, you can see below what we were camping with. Currently our tow vehicle is 2016 F150 with tow package.

One issue, weight distribution hitch. I purchased and installed Centerline TS hitch rated for 12,000 lbs. which is overkill for our trailer 7,800 dry weight, and installed per instructions.

Thank you for your input.

No experience with the CENTERLINE TS HITCH.
My experience has been with a EQUALIZER HITCH and 8000 lb. bars.
Difficult to put on w/o raising the front a little, or using the supplied bar. If installed correctly no problems ever.
After a couple of years I got some rust on my bars. I cleaned it off with 4.0 Steel wool, and put a little Lithium Grease on the contact points. No noise. I also spray a little Lithium grease in the trucks hitch. BEWARE... This grease is very nasty.
I eventually settled on putting a dab of grease on the contact points... Still nasty. but it works.
Important... Do not use grease if you are going on dirt roads.
Grease holds the dirt, and it acts like an abrasive.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, It can take a lot of effort to install the spring bars if they're doing a lot. Your situation is totally normal.
Too stiff of spring bars can cause pospoising though.

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
I have that same hitch, the bars are rated for 800-1200 lb of tongue weight. Sounds like you are fine on the size. It is sometimes noisy at low speeds, according to the manual it is acceptable to use a light lubricant on the bar saddles.

My TT weighs about 6500 ready to roll, with roughly 900 lb of tongue weight. I have no problem at all with the hitch, it works well at all times. No sway, no weird instability, nice and solid. Does your TT tow OK?

I agree completely here. I have a fairly large travel trailer and have used the Husky Centerline for two seasons. It’s noisy at low speeds, and during tight turns in the campground. I have no problems or worries about the hitch.

Thanks!

Kevin

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Truth. WD hitches make noise. They just do. and FYI. The springer bars are not anti sway bars. But sway control bars squeal in turns especially if they are wet

It depends on the hitch. Some of them do act as sway control.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I have that same hitch, the bars are rated for 800-1200 lb of tongue weight. Sounds like you are fine on the size. It is sometimes noisy at low speeds, according to the manual it is acceptable to use a light lubricant on the bar saddles.

My TT weighs about 6500 ready to roll, with roughly 900 lb of tongue weight. I have no problem at all with the hitch, it works well at all times. No sway, no weird instability, nice and solid. Does your TT tow OK?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP