cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can happen without enough tongue weight?

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I read most of the posts on accidents (currently in roads and routes)...this one got to me when I saw the fist picture below. It was obvious to me what happened and I posted the following:
The motorcycle on the back of the 2017 single axle TT took them to the scene of the accident...not enough tongue weight. The truck is parallel with the semi trailer and the left front of the trailer is gone...was not straight behind the truck when it hit...part way jackknifed.

You can see in this picture the TT is not parallel with the PU.

These two bits of info...Apple Valley man and Stoddard Wells road plus Google Maps and knowing lack of tongue weight shows up once you get above 45-50 MPH leads to the following. They got on I-15 (exit 154) and in less than 1.5 miles (access road on east side) they lost control and slammed into the park semi trailer that was well of the road.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...
50 REPLIES 50

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
In the end let's just say, proper tongue weight important. Guessing the reason for an accident is just that, a guess.

There are to many variables that can get you into trouble, distractions, nodding off, inattention, poor maintenance, road hazards to name a few. Without a professional investigation all else is a just a guess.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
It’s just a forum. No need to get all high and mighty about anything.

You Sir, are deluded if you think the "high and mighties" here can resist the temptation of trying to gain internet points from the rest of us mere mortals... 😉

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hannibal wrote:
Regardless of the cause of the accident, most people of average intelligence and towing experience would likely assume tongue weight to be the main contributing factor based on the pictures. This isn’t a court of law. It’s just a forum. No need to get all high and mighty about anything. That says more about your personality disorder than the folks who assumed incorrectly. Very sad just the same.

It's one thing to assume to yourself "oh this is what must have happened". It's a different thing to declare in public that your assumption is the truth based on nothing but a couple photos.

As others posted from the start of this, there were other possible causes for an accident like that - and in fact they were correct. Yet some continued to declare that low tongue weight was the ONLY possible explanation.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks everyone for keeping this forum one of the bigger sht shows on the internet while I was on vacation!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of the cause of the accident, most people of average intelligence and towing experience would likely assume tongue weight to be the main contributing factor based on the pictures. This isn’t a court of law. It’s just a forum. No need to get all high and mighty about anything. That says more about your personality disorder than the folks who assumed incorrectly. Very sad just the same.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
It’s obvious it was not out of control sway because the trailer is in alignment with the truck which almost never happens. Usually its a jack knife arrangement and sometimes a roll over.

Moderator, it is time to lock this thread.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Have all of you who jumped to a conclusion found a way out of the hole yet?
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
The driver who was killed was 84. That had to be a factor if not the factor.

He was on borrows time anyway.:p

You are an insensitive jerk, can’t spell, and should leave this forum with your head hanging in shame. This is not the first time I have noticed what a rotten human you are.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

JusBud
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
JusBud wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
JusBud wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
One other item that comes up on this forum regularly is tow speed. I regularly read posts from owners saying they tow at 75 mph in a matter of fact tone.

I look at it this way, it's a vacation, not the Indy 500. 75 per is way too fast to have any control in an emergency situation (like a tire blowing for instance). All 75 gets you is poor gas mileage and you are a liability to everyone else on the road as well.

Myself, I run the posted speed or 5 under. I get there almost as quickly, get better fuel mileage, less wear and tear on my vehicle and components and I wave as the speedballs go flying past (and then pass them up when they are fueling up).... I don't get it but then I've gotten to the point where I dismiss that type behavior as irresponsible.

Glad you have life figured out and also being traffic controller.
You're being irresponsible for holding the rest of us up.
It's not just your highway.
I bet you even use the left lane
Move over

I don't see anything in his post to warrant your accusations. He said he goes the speed limit or 5mph under and lets others go past him. Nothing wrong with that.

Of course he lets other go past him
IF we can.
4 lane hwy it's no problem
2 lane hwy he's holding up traffic and it's not just him trying to get somewhere
I bet he doesn't pull over like i do when i can't do the speed limit
Or even look in his mirror to see the string of vehicles he's holding up behind him
I also rarely see anyone towing 75 mph so not sure he can claim they are doing that speed
My accusations are correct

So you assume he doesn't pull over or look in the mirror, and therefore your accusations are correct? Not.

If he is going the speed limit or 5 mph under and lets folks pass when able then he IS NOT doing anything wrong.

As for you not seeing anyone towing at 75mph, then I suggest you check out a highway or freeway. They are doing so every day. My father did it. My boss does it. People do it all the time.

I suspect that since you think his driving the speed limit is holding up traffics then YOU are one of those people who are towing at 75mph.

so you know my intentions of driving as well as his?
I have a speed limiter of 75 so I have a hard time at that
And gas savings in an rv towing a trailer isn't exactly why I bought it to save money

He NEVER said he "let's folks pass when able"
Read the post and report back without putting extra context in the post

"people do it all the time"
and you know that because your father and boss did it, lol
Hope you 2 have a nice life together

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JusBud wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
JusBud wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
One other item that comes up on this forum regularly is tow speed. I regularly read posts from owners saying they tow at 75 mph in a matter of fact tone.

I look at it this way, it's a vacation, not the Indy 500. 75 per is way too fast to have any control in an emergency situation (like a tire blowing for instance). All 75 gets you is poor gas mileage and you are a liability to everyone else on the road as well.

Myself, I run the posted speed or 5 under. I get there almost as quickly, get better fuel mileage, less wear and tear on my vehicle and components and I wave as the speedballs go flying past (and then pass them up when they are fueling up).... I don't get it but then I've gotten to the point where I dismiss that type behavior as irresponsible.

Glad you have life figured out and also being traffic controller.
You're being irresponsible for holding the rest of us up.
It's not just your highway.
I bet you even use the left lane
Move over

I don't see anything in his post to warrant your accusations. He said he goes the speed limit or 5mph under and lets others go past him. Nothing wrong with that.

Of course he lets other go past him
IF we can.
4 lane hwy it's no problem
2 lane hwy he's holding up traffic and it's not just him trying to get somewhere
I bet he doesn't pull over like i do when i can't do the speed limit
Or even look in his mirror to see the string of vehicles he's holding up behind him
I also rarely see anyone towing 75 mph so not sure he can claim they are doing that speed
My accusations are correct

So you assume he doesn't pull over or look in the mirror, and therefore your accusations are correct? Not.

If he is going the speed limit or 5 mph under and lets folks pass when able then he IS NOT doing anything wrong.

As for you not seeing anyone towing at 75mph, then I suggest you check out a highway or freeway. They are doing so every day. My father did it. My boss does it. People do it all the time.

I suspect that since you think his driving the speed limit is holding up traffics then YOU are one of those people who are towing at 75mph.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:

I was going to tell you what a jerk you are...
But that doesn't quite describe it accuratly enough.
Consider yourself blocked.

toedtoes wrote:

I don't see anything in his post to warrant your accusations. Nothing wrong with that.

Really?

I was talking about the comment about driving the speed limit or less - which was the comment I quoted.

The comments you quoted above had nothing to do with my post. They were two separate things.

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:

After such an insensitive comment
Future comments hold no merit or anything of value
Hope you find the help you need

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:

Congratulations. 13 years on this forum, and you are the first person I have blocked.

You won't miss much.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:

Congratulations. 13 years on this forum, and you are the first person I have blocked.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP