cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What heater part am i missing?

jdavis1877
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a old TT and i went out to test the heat but all i get it the ignition firing when i turn the thermostat on. I hear the fan running but the spark runs it typical 3 times and then shuts off. Gas is working in the TT cause the burners on the stove work. I opened up the side of the furnace and i see 3 wires that go to nothing and it looks like something is missing. ive attached a pic

12 REPLIES 12

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
A quick google shows the 30k BTU version of the SuburbanNT to be in the $400 range.

That's like buying a couple of batteries 😉

If you have the money, it's a once and you're SURE you are done and safe. You've replaced the whole thing :C

I agree this is the best option if you can- especially since you don't know who did what or why to it (or other parts of it that you don't see?)

Good luck!

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Good call. You can replace it with a new SuburbanNT series easily, the new one will need a small platform to line up with the exhaust vent holes, which is easy to do.
-- Chris Bryant

jdavis1877
Explorer
Explorer
based on my limited knowledgeof these heaters and the cost of having a local shop look at it compared to getting another one i think its a safer bet to get a new one. I wouldnt feel safe with the kids in it knowing that someone monkeyed with it. The lady o bought it from claimed it worked great but of course i wasnt able to test it and took her at her word. Oh well live and learn....

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The guts slide out the front of the case, after disconnecting the gas and wiring. I don't know where the limit switch came from, the limit switch is not in the picture, it is on the right side. What is missing is the electrode. That is a specific one, with separate sense and spark electrodes, with sharp terminal that slide in to the wire.

The ragged appearance is due to the remains of the electrode gasket.
-- Chris Bryant

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
ddubble post
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
That thing doesn't look safe. Looks like somebody has removed the front plate and tried to put it back on with sealant behind it and only half bolted it back on. That's not a stock hole, it's all ragged. I'd buy a new furnace.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful with that. It is possible the part was removed to render the furnace unusable- perhaps on purpose?

Maybe carbon monoxide, maybe overheating, maybe...who knows?

Can you find out the history and why it was removed? If it was just defective and the PO decided not to spend the money, no biggie.

A word to the wise 😉

jdavis1877
Explorer
Explorer
sorry yes its a suburban but the model is worn down, but im guessing its a nt-24. It looks like a chore to take this thing out, cause its under a bench and idont see any easy access to pull it with out taking the bench apart. I might order a high temp switch and see if it fixes it. Forgive my ignorance but is it normal to have to tear the benches aprt to get these out?? I dont see any access from the outside either.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You are missing the electrode. That said, that is an old Suburban NT series (maybe NT 30 or 32), but due to the age, it really needs to be pulled and inspected. The cast iron burner no doubt needs cleaning.
-- Chris Bryant

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting that you get 'spark' firing at all.

High Temp Limit Switch bolts onto heat exchanger.....and has to be CLOSED for DC Voltage to go to circuit board before Ignition can occur
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wkamper
Explorer
Explorer
Make and model furnace?

jdavis1877
Explorer
Explorer
well the image didnt come through hold on