cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is the best safe for a TC?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I see one TC that comes with a floor safe which seems like a good idea for those on long vacations/fulltiming or just spend a lot of time in their TC away..Mine is an older TC but I do want to get a safe for it whether portable or mounted..

What do you use or do you?
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
16 REPLIES 16

Bedlam
I have a safe bolted down but had to create a steel backing due to the light construction of a truck camper. It is positioned in a location that is not accessible to a pry bar and requires two people to mount or unmount once open. This does not mean that someone with a 8 lb sledge could not free it, but they would make considerable noise for quite some time before clearing and freeing it.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
jaycocreek wrote:
I see one TC that comes with a floor safe which seems like a good idea for those on long vacations/fulltiming or just spend a lot of time in their TC away..Mine is an older TC but I do want to get a safe for it whether portable or mounted..

What do you use or do you?

What do you plan on keeping in this safe? That will play a significant role in what kind of safe to choose.

Are you trying to protect important documents from fire? Are you trying to secure valuables? Are you trying to secure a firearm?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ranholago
Explorer
Explorer
I use a smaller box from harbor freight, its bolt down so its not going anywhere, but the better security is that its hidden behind a false panel. If they find it, it will also take a few extra minutes to get it open. Not that they can't get it open, just will take a some extra time.
I don't much care about the tv or any of that stuff, I have the "safe" hidden and locked, for my protection.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
brholt wrote:
As an alternative consider a โ€œconsole vaultโ€ for your truck. These provide pretty good security and the one we installed was very easy to put in.

Just google โ€œconsole vaultโ€ for options

If you have a vehicle with a built in console this is a good idea. I had one in my previous truck and it was great. It made the whole console into a safe with just enough room between the top of the safe and the lid to keep a few small things handy. It would be possible to break in through the side but the seats are in the way and would take awhile for someone to get in. If they stole the whole truck so they had lots of time they could break in. Wish I had that option in my current truck.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
My idea would be a safe that would take time to open. Put something metal, that weighs about a pound in it, along with some loose nuts and bolts. When you leave, hide your valuables, but leave the safe where it can be seen as soon as somebody gets inside. Thief comes in, finds the safe. He will assume he has the best he can get, so likely will not hunt.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

These work well. :B
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The "best" safe is don't take valuable with you !

Realistically, you aren't going to take the time to put a laptop and hard drive inside for a meal out. LCD TVs under 32" are ridiculously cheap (meaning a thief would be lucky to get $10-$20 for one).

I would suspect, most people who take a gun with them are going to carry it.

I would suggest not carrying it in DC or MD.
bumpy

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The "best" safe is don't take valuable with you !

Realistically, you aren't going to take the time to put a laptop and hard drive inside for a meal out. LCD TVs under 32" are ridiculously cheap (meaning a thief would be lucky to get $10-$20 for one).

I would suspect, most people who take a gun with them are going to carry it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I bolted down a pistol safe in my RV. if you want a fireproof safe, additional problems will ensue. unless you are a full timer with no other options, you shouldn't need a fireproof one anyway.
bumpy

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We have an embedded wall safe on the back wall of a closet in our stick house. Doesn't take up any space and is relatively safe in that lots of damage would have to be done to get it out of the wall taking up too much time for an amateur. Nothing one can do to keep out a pro.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
We bought this gun safe https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LBC4YL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is large enough for important papers also, 3 ways to unlock, has a cable that we attached to a big eyebolt in the bottom of the camper pantry. We move it into the house to its own eyebolt in our master closet. Works fine for us, not too heavy.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
As an alternative consider a โ€œconsole vaultโ€ for your truck. These provide pretty good security and the one we installed was very easy to put in.

Just google โ€œconsole vaultโ€ for options

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was a fulltimer I carried all my important papers, passport, non-electronic tax records, etc. I found two extremely well hidden areas for storing this paperwork. I would not have had room for a safe or anyway to hide it. A safe might have protected against the risk of fire damage but would have greatly increased the risk of theft.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using file safe placed on the back floor of our SuperCab.
It is light enough for me to carry it in and out. Maybe not extreme safety, but I figure out nobody is going to deal with truck alarm and walk away with it in day light.