cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's in a name?

AnnMarie
Explorer
Explorer
As a new owner, I've been researching and reading everything I can get my hands on (found that reading an owner's manual may cure my insomnia better than anything else).

One of the things I've noticed is that many people have named their trailer. I always thought it would be awesome to name my home, like you see in the UK. I've just never not come up with a name that fits. Perhaps I'll have better luck with my RV.

So, does your RV have a name? If so, what's the name and the story behind it.
70 REPLIES 70

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
Not an official name, but we refer to the Casita as the Escape Pod. Since we've always owned Akita dogs, I try to find relevant Japanese names for them. The current one is Kumori which means, depending on context, shadow, dark cloud, or storm cloud. It has fit him well. I've always wanted to name one Dee OH Gee. Wife says no.

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

bigarm
Explorer
Explorer
crazyro wrote:
2milesup wrote:
bigarm wrote:
Well, we are fairly weird. When we built our house and moved to Montana 10 years ago, our kids asked what we called our property. We said "Cole's Hole" as kind of a joke. The kids had a stone engraved with "Welcome to Cole's Hole" so it stuck. We then a pit dug for underlayment for the driveway and decided to make it into a shooting pit which became "Cole's Other Hole". My shop became "Cole's Wood Hole" and when we put up a building to house the wood lathe, it became "Cole's Chuck Hole". So when we bought our toy hauler it became "Cole's Road Hole" and the new truck became "Cole's Tow Hole".

Better hope nobody ever gives you a donkey...

:B Hahaha. Best response yet!

Well, we do call our camping chairs "Cole's A-- Holes"!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
AnnMarie wrote:
I always thought it would be awesome to name my home, like you see in the UK.
The reason you see a lot of old houses in the UK like that is because back in the olden days they didn't have a system of house/street numbers so they gave them names instead. We used to have a house in Victoria BC that was built in 1914 and had an original sign on the front that said "Oblana", an old Gaelic word from the UK.

We call our TT "the trailer"... :C

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours is the LMIC -- "Look Mom, I'm Camping!" The trailer is so small it looks like a toddler RV pretending to be a real RV and showing off for its parents.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
2milesup wrote:
bigarm wrote:
Well, we are fairly weird. When we built our house and moved to Montana 10 years ago, our kids asked what we called our property. We said "Cole's Hole" as kind of a joke. The kids had a stone engraved with "Welcome to Cole's Hole" so it stuck. We then a pit dug for underlayment for the driveway and decided to make it into a shooting pit which became "Cole's Other Hole". My shop became "Cole's Wood Hole" and when we put up a building to house the wood lathe, it became "Cole's Chuck Hole". So when we bought our toy hauler it became "Cole's Road Hole" and the new truck became "Cole's Tow Hole".

:B Hahaha. Best response yet!

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Naming cars, RVs and other inanimate objects is childish and stupid.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

2milesup
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigarm wrote:

Jerry & Lori
2011 Chevy 1500 5.3L Z71 4X4
2015 Lance 2285
Andersen Sway Control, Prodigy, Honda EU2000i, empty wallet

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
We are "The Travelin' Terrapins" - As Univ of Maryland Grads
The Truck is "The Terpinator" - Dark Green
Trailer is "Shelly" - Home to the Terps
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
It is a just a fun thing, so we call our truck "Seymour" because it helps us see more and the trailer is "Tag" because it tags along. 🙂
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Only your RV can decide if it should have a name - if it wants one, it will come to you; if it doesn't, nothing will fit.

Yep, for the longest time my camper was just "Scratchy's camper" ( my dog was named Scratchy )....but after a while, it became the Gypsy Wagon, for obvious reasons. The truck is just "farmtruck", because it gets used around the horse farm.

bankmule66
Explorer
Explorer
Don't usually call it this but have sign "WELCOME TO OUR WHEEL ESTATE" used to have an international travelall son said it was like riding a Sherman tank so the name Sherman stuck

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My vehicle names usually are the same or similar to what is printed in them somewhere. So the TT is a Cobra Sunrise and we just call it the Sunrise. My boat is a Silverline Comoro so we just call it the Silverline. My pickup hasn't gotten a name yet. Something will come up.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is "Dog House", sometimes I upgrade it to "Man Cave", but most of the time it's just "Dog House". My truck named his/her self, "Lola".
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
My truck, Priscilla, tows the Portable Pibble Palace.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up around boats, so just about everything has a name. Our house is Windrush, sailboat (now gone) was Bluewind. First camper was Bluewind 2, second camper was Silverwind, third camper was Bluewind 3, and our present camper is WaywardWind.
I think it all has to do with air movement.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch