cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the longest/heaviest you would tow with a 1/2 ton?

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I know they are rated for anywhere from 9200-12500 lbs max towing and abound 1000# TW Back in 2013, I wasn't thrilled with how our 2013 F150 3.5 EB CC 4x4 max tow (rated for 12k#) felt suspension wise with about 5500# and 28FT behind it. Maybe it was just me, but it was pretty slushy/bouncy even with a properly set up WD hitch. Maybe it was just me. I remember telling myself I would never go over what I had with any other 1500 if that was a max tow truck.
Fast forward to now. We're thinking pretty hard about upgrading from our 17 FT 2800# trailer to something with two recliners and a dinette with a walk around bed. Looks like about the smallest I can find is almost the same, 28 ft. From my reading, light weight trailers just can't hang quality wise and longivity wise as more robust , heavier trailers. Seems like they start around 5800 and up to around 7000#. I know there are people who get downright scientific with it, just looking for a general idea if possible. Hopefully I'm already on the right track.
61 REPLIES 61

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
The new crop of Covid campers do not worry about ratings or payloads. They ran out and bought the longest, biggest trailer they could find or afford and most are pulling with 1/2 ton trucks along with a good amount of mid size SUVs thrown in for good measure.

Surprisingly they all seem to make it to the campgrounds where they make noise until 2 AM, run over marker posts and fire rings while spending 2 hours learning how to back up, and try to build campfires with green wood which end up smoking out entire counties. They also have to have every exterior light on from dusk to dawn for some reason.

Are you new to camping? None of what you described is new since the beginning of 2020.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:

Isn't that pretty much how everyone started out untill they learned?

Apparently some think there is no room for new people. Camping is fun. Camping is not living in a locked up compound populated with perfect people.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
The new crop of Covid campers do not worry about ratings or payloads. They ran out and bought the longest, biggest trailer they could find or afford and most are pulling with 1/2 ton trucks along with a good amount of mid size SUVs thrown in for good measure.

Surprisingly they all seem to make it to the campgrounds where they make noise until 2 AM, run over marker posts and fire rings while spending 2 hours learning how to back up, and try to build campfires with green wood which end up smoking out entire counties. They also have to have every exterior light on from dusk to dawn for some reason.

Isn't that pretty much how everyone started out untill they learned?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
^ that isn’t me.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Stclairm wrote:
We bought the Ram last night. They will have gears available in the near future, so if it feels like I need, I will pay to have them upgraded. It was for my wife, so the choice was ultimately hers. I will say after I drove it for the first time, I see why the Ram wins all the comparos. It is a truly fantastic vehicle to drive. The trailers we're looking at are 5500# UVW or less and we go tanks empty and use FHU wherever we go. We won't be over 6000# loaded, so I feel like this will serve us well. There was not another Ram comparably equipped with those 3.92 gears anywhere, or anywhere near the price of this Built to Serve package. It's truly a sweet looking truck in patriot blue.

With the new 8sp transmissions the gearing isn’t as important. Should have no problem towing 6k.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the Ram last night. They will have gears available in the near future, so if it feels like I need, I will pay to have them upgraded. It was for my wife, so the choice was ultimately hers. I will say after I drove it for the first time, I see why the Ram wins all the comparos. It is a truly fantastic vehicle to drive. The trailers we're looking at are 5500# UVW or less and we go tanks empty and use FHU wherever we go. We won't be over 6000# loaded, so I feel like this will serve us well. There was not another Ram comparably equipped with those 3.92 gears anywhere, or anywhere near the price of this Built to Serve package. It's truly a sweet looking truck in patriot blue.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Stclairm wrote:
Deciding between two trucks by this weekend: 2020 Nissan Titan crewcab 4x4 with factory tow pack and a 2020 Ram 1500 Built to Serve Bighorn hemi etorque with tow pack and 3.21 gears. Main drawback to me vs 3.69 in the Titan. The Ram would cost me about $80 more a month. It does have led headlights which is a huge plus. Plan to test drive it Friday and decide.

The 8 speed Hemi “should” be slightly outclassed by the 9 speed Titan with a few more hp but etorque will level the playing field.
But you can get the Ram with 3.92 gears. So you’re not comparing apples to apples.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Deciding between two trucks by this weekend: 2020 Nissan Titan crewcab 4x4 with factory tow pack and a 2020 Ram 1500 Built to Serve Bighorn hemi etorque with tow pack and 3.21 gears. Main drawback to me vs 3.69 in the Titan. The Ram would cost me about $80 more a month. It does have led headlights which is a huge plus. Plan to test drive it Friday and decide.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Tbh, anything new should do a better job. I was surprised you avalanche preformed so well, i had the 5.3 in my 2012 seirra ( i think?) But then i remembered i think it was the new fule economy standerds that auto shifted the cylinders in the engine that i think was my problem. They took a second or more to respond to the gas pedal. I think they will have worked that out by now. The 2500s dont have the need to hit mpg standerds so no throttling.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't have issues with my 5.3 V8 Avy or my 3.5 EB F150 in the mountains. I loved my 3.5 EB, but the new aluminum bodies and 10 speeds don't impress me at all. Every manufacturer has to embellish on their product vs the competition in some way. I only know it felt great driving it. 400hp and 413tq will more than do the job. The standard in the others are base model V6's.
The other issue with the F150 XLTs is they come with halogen headlamps.
Edit: Nissan specs 7300 GVWR 200A alternator 3.69 rear end gears

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stclairm wrote:
The only F150 that I would be interested in that I just found has the XLT black package on it, looks awesome and at the same price point, low 40's. It has a lower GVWR than the Nissan and Ram I am looking at by 300 pounds. I'm sure those airbags and shocks would be a huge difference. It is also rated almost identically to the Titan in max tow weight of 9100 or so pounds. Very few trucks are optioned with max tow packs in 1500's. I think they don't sell well and they figure you can buy a 2500 and be done.
The mountains in NC and VA where we go are pretty substantial too. I want to make sure I can keep my speed up. Didn't have an issue with our 04 Avalanche or the 13 F150 with that when I was pulling around 5500#.
I'm probably going to go with the Titan due to such great financing and it drove so solid. The suspension wasn't bouncy or floaty, felt solid like it would handle a load pretty well.

I rarely buy off the lot anyway so getting what I want isn't a problem. But, if you found a deal that you are happy with go for it and I wish you the best.

I am puzzled by your statements on power though. Nissan advertises that they have the most powerful standard engine but everyone else beats them with readily available engines. And the Titan requires premium fuel to get that power. In the mountains turbocharged engines generally perform better.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
The only F150 that I would be interested in that I just found has the XLT black package on it, looks awesome and at the same price point, low 40's. It has a lower GVWR than the Nissan and Ram I am looking at by 300 pounds. I'm sure those airbags and shocks would be a huge difference. It is also rated almost identically to the Titan in max tow weight of 9100 or so pounds. Very few trucks are optioned with max tow packs in 1500's. I think they don't sell well and they figure you can buy a 2500 and be done.
The mountains in NC and VA where we go are pretty substantial too. I want to make sure I can keep my speed up. Didn't have an issue with our 04 Avalanche or the 13 F150 with that when I was pulling around 5500#.
I'm probably going to go with the Titan due to such great financing and it drove so solid. The suspension wasn't bouncy or floaty, felt solid like it would handle a load pretty well.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
This is a hard question. I had a 1500 sierra max tow etc. Towing my 6k lb trailor was fine. But not great. It would tow, just not well over 60/65 mph. Big grades were a problem, i was in the slow down lanes with the 18 wheelers. Addtionally, long hauls were not fun eaither. So you have to consider, distance you travel and terrain. I did NJ to disney last year and between the trucks and the fuel stops i had it, so i got a 2500 this year. Much better, and i can accelerate to pass or enter a busy highway and also stop way faster. For me it was worth the peice of mind. Could the 1500 tow it, sure, but it wasn't fun.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.